Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Wang got busted up pretty good.

im surprised by the lack of wang jokes, pretty uneven matchup but she did ok for the first round, those knees just sapped her.
also felicia spencer's fight name should be felicia "flexible " spencer

nice to see sharon jacobson get back in the win column, her opponent impressed me as well

Sarah Kaufman -285
Vanessa Porto -600
Brogan Walker -190
Ashley Cummins -300
Ashley Nichols +160 x
Jessica-Rose Clark -115
Jessica Eye -120
J.J. Aldrich -115
Irene Aldana -165

Risk $5.00
Win $424.11

FUCK SHARON JACOBSON. Fucking lay and pray jerk.
teach you to bet against dreamcatcher sucka :p

I'd like to do a video for my channel, and I'm enlisting the wonder posters in this thread for help. The title will be "A case for atomweights in the UFC."
Here is what I'm looking for:
1.Name a fighter.
2.give their record.
3.Make an argument on why this fighter makes a strong case for why the UFC could benefit from having atomweights.

I'll be doing my own research, as well.

I'd like to do a video for my channel, and I'm enlisting the wonder posters in this thread for help. The title will be "A case for atomweights in the UFC."
1.Name a fighter.
2.give their record.
3.Make an argument on why this fighter makes a strong case for why the UFC could benefit from having atomweights.

Do you one better here are the current Unified Women's rankings for January. Please note - since Amber Brown didn't make weight she wasn't eligible for ranking.

https://wombatsports.wordpress.com/unified-wmma-rankings/

If I can get a favor - I (MarQ) have been nominated for the fourth straight year for the Awakening Awards for best WMMA Journalist and best website for WombatSports.com I tend to lose to MMA Fighting and MMA Junkie who never cover any of the women's divisions outside the big 3 (UFC, Invicta, Bellator).

Please vote and spread the word. They also have some great categories and women's Muay Thai awards voting as well.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.awakeningfighters.com/awards/

I don't think there's enough talent at atomweight outside Asia, a market that UFC still struggles to deal with, at least properly, primarily due to different ways of promoting, so in my opinion it's not the right time. Maybe in future. Hamasaki decisioning green fighters is not something i'm looking forward to at UFC, and the good competition i think will be better paid at ONE/Rizin/DEEP/Pancrase etc. There the spotlight will be on them. Certainly not at the UFC.

giphy.gif

1.Name a fighter.
2.give their record.

I would assume Taylor, Hill, Esquibel, and Viviane Sucuri all move down. Maybe also assume Rizin falls apart or is in some scandal and Asakura/Rena are free & need money.

Jujeath Nagaowa 3-0

Probably the best Filipina fighter. Being as the UFC has run shows in the Philippines, I imagine it wouldn't hurt to have a star there. She has a boxing record, and throws a million body punches so she's billed as a boxer, but wrestling won her last two fights.

-------------------------------------------------

Tharoth Sam 4-2

She's a kickboxer turned actress in Cambodia, seems to get a lot of local media when she fights. Grappling is not very good, but she seems to be doing the right thing; practicing her strangling technique on ill prepared Thai ladies.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Grace Cleveland 3-0

Dana atomweigh$ face. Her standup doesn't really exist yet, but she was one of the stronger looking top control grapplers in the division. Weird comparison, but she reminds me a lot of early Claudia Gadelha. Before Claudia got tired kickboxing.
C3_Yr_LQ3_WMAAEM_4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------
Nicole Hunt 1-0

Leo Vieira brown belt. WME blonde quota.

-------------------------------------------------------

So Hee Lim 2-1

Seems like a pretty hard puncher for division; and dominated the two Deep Jewels rookies she fought.

Some other atomweights...

Alexandra Toncheva 0-1

Had a pretty decent fight with Kanna Asakura for the 0. Before that she's 8-0 as an amateur, and is a pretty good grappler. Looks like she has a solid hockeyfight clinch game in her IMMAF fights that are on fight pass. Maybe UFC wants to go to Bulgaria some day?
th7_QNV68_PC.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fee Chrystall 2-1 (amateur)

Scottish lady who is alternating between Griphouse and Brandon Gibson at Jackson's. Last fight was against a 3-0 Team Alpha Male fighter, and she was supposed to make her pro debut against Toncheva before getting injured.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kyra Batara 7-4

She's a really fun, kind of weird grappler (if she can make weight). Also a talky attitude people will love/hate.

----------------------------------------------

Eliana Castiglioni 2-1

Another kickboxer trying to figure out mma, but she seems like quite the slugger. Maybe UFC wants to go to Argentina some day?

---------------------------------------------

Lizbeth Lopez Silva 5-3

5-3, but on a five fight win streak. Other than Melly at 115 (who herself could maybe make 105?), she's been the revelation of Combate America's divisions so far. MEXICO!

-----------------------------------

Silvania Monteiro 8-2

Obligatory power puncher Brazilian.

It has been nice to see Grace Cleveland recovering from her neck injury.

--
I found myself looking at some older ammy fights from the bigger women in MMA. I'll post two.

From Dec 2016 - Akeela Al hameed vs. Marissa Ellis

I figured showing an early fight from Alhameed would be fun, after her debut in Invicta this weekend. Ellis puts on a very good fight herself, ammy 1-1 along with at least one recent kickboxing fight.

From May 2016 - Macy Chiasson vs. Anna Dempster

I don't want to get into the internet troll situation but Dempster took an eye injury that prevented her involvement in that. Impressive fighting from her, 6-0 ammy. Macy Chiasson went pro recently, 1-0 and 5-2 as an ammy, losses to Dempster and Felice Spencer.

It has been nice to see Grace Cleveland recovering from her neck injury.

--

From May 2016 - Macy Chiasson vs. Anna Dempster

I don't want to get into the internet troll situation but Dempster took an eye injury that prevented her involvement in that. Impressive fighting from her, 6-0 ammy. Macy Chiasson went pro recently, 1-0 and 5-2 as an ammy, losses to Dempster and Felice Spencer.

like the casual way the ref ignores the fighter that just got knocked out and takes a little stroll round the ring instead
i agree about mellisa ellis, looks promising

Last edited:
like the casual way the ref ignores the fighter that just got knocked out and takes a little stroll round the ring instead
i agree about mellisa ellis, looks promising

Agreed. That was something else, referring to the ref. Just popped her there. Great KO.

Ellis looks good. I want to see more of her in MMA. Looks good enough to go pro but I worry about anyone's gas tank without seeing them fight a little bit more but she was getting hit fairly hard and still kept up a good pace. Getting hit often takes it out of a person, Ellis was a trooper.

I also think Ellis is probably better off at bantamweight. Her last MMA fight was at bantamweight so I suspect she knows that too.

It's a great fight, but, as a Joanna fan, I'm of course worried.

I'm wondering if the dynamics will be different or if Rose will crack her again. Intriguing division to me as I think Andrade is really bad news for Rose, but Joanna is obviously a bad fight for Andrade.

Last edited:
Back