Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Doesn't Maynard do the wmma matchups?

Pudilova was talking about moving to 125 around the time of the tuf 26 try outs, so not a surprise.

Lucie would be a fun scrap for Shevchenko as would Carmouche. A real contender matchup imo, well done guys.

Carmouche would a be a tougher test. Pudilova would get countered all night and taken-down. She is tough as hell but Shev by UD. Carmouche has a marketable angle given their previous fight. I also think Liz is easily the strongest fighter in the division which always causes additional problems for whomever she fights.

Last edited:
This is far from a marketable angle.
Especially in today's reality
Especially with fighter like Carmouche

The UFC has marketed other stupid angles successfully.

Revenge or balancing the scales has been something they have sold in the past. it stopped working suddenly why, exactly?

The UFC has marketed other stupid angles successfully.

Revenge or balancing the scales has been something they have sold in the past. it stopped working suddenly why, exactly?

I don't remember when it worked with anyone who cannot draw...

I don't remember when it worked with anyone who cannot draw...

Ah, ok.

People either draw or they do not.

Please note I said "market." A promotable angle remains a promotable angle. Whether they draw or not remains to be seen. They have plenty of time for a build up.

I, however, do not claim to know the future.

Ah, ok.

People either draw or they do not.

Please note I said "market." A promotable angle remains a promotable angle. Whether they draw or not remains to be seen. They have plenty of time for a build up.

I, however, do not claim to know the future.

Look, I think both you and I are pretty aware of the situation in MMA, how the fighters MMA fan wants to see look, sound and fight.
We both, I believe, can agree that by default Carmouche does not appeal to any crowd...

Now as you also probably know, UFC uses his marketing machine only on those with huge potential, which means these two girls will have to make up this rivalry themselves.
If they try it, they probably will fail to attract attention. But probably they won't even try....

Look, I think both you and I are pretty aware of the situation in MMA, how the fighters MMA fan wants to see look, sound and fight.
We both, I believe, can agree that by default Carmouche does not appeal to any crowd...

Now as you also probably know, UFC uses his marketing machine only on those with huge potential, which means these two girls will have to make up this rivalry themselves.
If they try it, they probably will fail to attract attention. But probably they won't even try....

I simply said it was marketable.

You are the one brining up extraneous factors that I never mentioned.

They are, however, apparently pushing Shevchenko.

I simply said it was marketable.

You are the one brining up extraneous factors that I never mentioned

But these factors are exactly a reason why it's NOT marketable.

They are, however, apparently pushing Shevchenko.

Of course. She's their champ.
She already has been proven as not really crowd-attractive - the difference between viewerships of her Holly fight and her Pena fight was huge.
Therefore, to build her they should give her name opponents at least.
IMO Carmouche would be the worst choice

@AimedWithV I don't think anyone here is claiming that Carmouche is somehow a draw.

It's just a fun storyline for Shev overcoming a past defeat, plus a stylistically difficult fight for her. I don't think any opponent at Flyweight is gonna make a difference in terms of mass appeal at this early stage of the division, so someone who has been in the UFC since the Ronda days and has been a part of big cards would be as big of a "name" as anyone else available.

Plus, who are these "name opponents" that are available to fight? Eye? Nicco? Rose trying to go for Champ-Champ?

Has anyone heard anything anywhere about what UFC is doing with Women's
Bantamweight going into new years because there is only 4 fighters with more
then 1 win and Amanda Nunes only fights once a year it seems.

I don't think UFC expected so many bantamweights to drop to flyweight, they also must be surprised there hasn't been that many strawweights moving up.

In my opinion there's not much to be done, there's a few fighters like Avila and Kaufman on Invicta who could be brought in, but worldwide speaking there aren't many prospects at 135, at least not experienced ones, while with 115 and 125 it's very different.
One that comes to mind and i think UFC should sign is Lucrezia Ria (7-2), but at this point i wouldn't be surprised if she fights once at 135 and drops to 125 too, lol.

Does he? I thought it was Shelby.
I know that Maynard is the responsible for the heavier weight classes (MW, LHW, HW) and for men's flyweight.

I don't like that fight, i think Liz should be fighting someone in the top 5, maybe Montano.
Liz as your first fight dropping from 135 seems harsh too, she's the type of grinder that will make you work for it, tough fight for Lucie.

Interesting enough today Nicco was pulled from the ufc rankings. Which seems very odd since she just had the shevchenko fight booked not long ago so she should be considered as active as Diaz or Cruz.

This is far from a marketable angle.
Especially in today's reality
Especially with fighter like Carmouche
Honestly sounds like you are just arbitrarily hating Liz. Can you name anyone at 125 who will draw better vs Shevchenko?

As far as title fights go they got plenty of options for Amanda now:
Ketlen is undefeated and they'very already talked about fighting.
GDR even though I wouldn't say beating Rocky was impressive is now ranked #1 and is a former champion.
If cat wins at 232, she's the last to beat amanda now with 2 good wins.
Holm is popular fighter who's never fought Nunes.
Even Ladd if she gets a fight with one of these 4 and wins would jump into title fight conversation.

As far as title fights go they got plenty of options for Amanda now:
Ketlen is undefeated and they'very already talked about fighting.
GDR even though I wouldn't say beating Rocky was impressive is now ranked #1 and is a former champion.
If cat wins at 232, she's the last to beat amanda now with 2 good wins.
Holm is popular fighter who's never fought Nunes.
Even Ladd if she gets a fight with one of these 4 and wins would jump into title fight conversation.

Quite a few. I would like to see Aspen slowly build up to a championship fight. I would also like to see either Ketlen or GDR next against Nunes. Cat I always worry about. Holm needs a couple of more wins before yet another championship fight.

UFC will probably book Betche.

So apparently UFC223 got cancelled, which means:

Casey/Calvillo, Albu/Whitmere and Reneau/Kunitskaya are now off the books. I wonder where these matches will end up, or if some just get scrapped altogether...

Nothing too irreplaceable for me, but would not mind the fights just appearing on future cards as planned.

I think smaller bantamweights now want to be large flyweights. Plus, the UFC is poaching bantamweight to feed Megan and Cyborg.

So apparently UFC223 got cancelled, which means:

Casey/Calvillo, Albu/Whitmere and Reneau/Kunitskaya are now off the books. I wonder where these matches will end up, or if some just get scrapped altogether...

Nothing too irreplaceable for me, but would not mind the fights just appearing on future cards as planned.
I expect those fights to be added to future - and likely seperate - cards. Some are good matchups.

Some are good matchups.

Yeah, they are all "cool, i'll watch that!" level for me. But nobody I actively fanboy, so yeah, will watch when/if they are just moved and as fighters have probably already started trainy, eaty, sleepy stuff for their sake rebooking (instead of reeboking) would be best :)

Back