Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I agree, except for Davis, who already beat Liz twice (the last one some people disagreed with the decision, but i didn't) and thankfully has a phenomenal guard from her back to, at the very least, work on submissions to score from bottom. If i recall correctly she almost had a triangle locked in at their last fight.

True. I forgot that Carmouche lost to Davis twice. Davis seems to be his cryptonite haha. Technically, Davis is quite a bad matchup for her since she cant use her wrestling skills due to her superior BJJ and then is forced to use her striking, which Davis is also superior.

Eh, I’d rather see Eye fight Nicco and see Shev-Liz 2 for the title with the winner of Nicco-Eye getting the next TS.

Okay, I can see either. And the Liz match is promotable as they have fought in the past.

And why make Maia-Kuma 2? Especially since Aga hasn’t fought since their match.

Because I forgot about this.

I’d probably have Maia fight someone like Lauren Murphy, while feeding Kuma someone like Honchak to get up to speed in the UFC. Maybe fight for the Invicta belt otherwise.

I think Honchak is done. I have not heard anything definitive, but that is the feeling I have.

I could see Roxy fighting Chook or Davis

Either would be fine. Again these are just fights I would like to see.

Given the current chaos of the division, they really just need to have a lot of fights to stabilize rankings and erase the cluster-fuck of this last year.

Watched Nina vs. Claudia again. Claudia's wrestling coach, assuming she has one, needs to be taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose. It's sad how poor her wrestling is these days, this was the woman who was once blasting Joanna clean off her feet with her double leg and now her shots are literally Eubanks level. Her posture is so bad, she's bending over 45° at the waist from a standing position and running forward into a clinch where she has no concept of what to do with her arms so her opponent breaks free without much trouble. There's no level change, she doesn't drive off with her legs & hips, all the good stuff she used to do is gone. I cannot believe this is the same fighter, it's like someone replaced Claudia with an alien pod person.

As for Nina, she continues to make steady all round improvements. She's picked up some of Joanna's jab & move footwork and used it well to keep Claudia stuck on the outside. Also showed good composure & patience on the ground, she was eating shots from Claudia but using that time to get on one hip, put her legs into play, and then push Claudia off when she overextended with her ground & pound. Also love the 2-touch side kick to the face, put it out as a low kick & touch it off the leg, re-chamber and slam the kick right into the face. That was a sweet move.

I think Nina can beat a lot of contenders in the division, she's a big strong fighter with fundamentally sound technique along with good composure and ability to fight to a game plan. She could be one fight away from a title match.

Last edited:
Sure Joanna punched air a few times especially early on. It was to measure distance or see how Valentina would react. Like a practice swing. Joanna's strong at engaging. It didn't affect either in the fight. There are techniques to analyze about why Valentina won. That's not one of them.

Watched Nina vs. Claudia again. Claudia's wrestling coach, assuming she has one, needs to be taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose. It's sad how poor her wrestling is these days, this was the woman who was once blasting Joanna clean off her feet with her double leg and now her shots are literally Eubanks level. Her posture is so bad, she's bending over 45° at the waist from a standing position and running forward into a clinch where she has no concept of what to do with her arms so her opponent breaks free without much trouble. There's no level change, she doesn't drive off with her legs & hips, all the good stuff she used to do is gone. I cannot believe this is the same fighter, it's like someone replaced Claudia with an alien pod person.

As for Nina, she continues to make steady all round improvements. She's picked up some of Joanna's jab & move footwork and used it well to keep Claudia stuck on the outside. Also showed good composure & patience on the ground, she was eating shots from Claudia but using that time to get on one hip, put her legs into play, and then push Claudia off when she overextended with her ground & pound. Also love the 2-touch side kick to the face, put it out as a low kick & touch it off the leg, re-chamber and slam the kick right into the face. That was a sweet move.

I think Nina can beat a lot of contenders in the division, she's a big strong fighter with fundamentally sound technique along with good composure and ability to fight to a game plan. She could be one fight away from a title match.

Regarding Claudia yeah I noticed that as well. It surprised me as that's not the Claudia I've seen in her strong performances in the past. She had trouble getting in on Nina for an effective takedown especially later on in round three. I was also struck by Nina's patience in letting the fight come to her rather than trying too hard to force anything. She has noticeably improved.

I'm curious does anyone like MacFarlane chances this weekend to keep her belt?
To me Valarie is world's better at striking and has some power. Add that to strong wrestling and tdd so she can't be bullied to the ground for a sub which is MacFarlane main path to victory.

To me Valarie is world's better at striking and has some power. Add that to strong wrestling and tdd so she can't be bullied to the ground for a sub which is MacFarlane main path to victory.

I think if MacFarlane can get it to the ground she has a good chance. But Val has not looked all that great since she drained her soul making straw-weight. So really I am not sure either way.

Eh, I’d rather see Eye fight Nicco and see Shev-Liz 2 for the title with the winner of Nicco-Eye getting the next TS.

And why make Maia-Kuma 2? Especially since Aga hasn’t fought since their match. I’d probably have Maia fight someone like Lauren Murphy, while feeding Kuma someone like Honchak to get up to speed in the UFC. Maybe fight for the Invicta belt otherwise.

I could see Roxy fighting Chook or Davis
Signs are pointing to Honchak being cut and/or retiring after her loss to Roxy.

I like MacFarlane's chances. I was skeptical of her abilities in the past. She rarely looks like a world-beater. But she's kept winning (usually via armbar) against decent opponents like Alejandra Lara & Emily Ducote. Valerie may have lost some ko power. Her last three fights went the distance. I don't think Val will damage MacFarlane much. Over five rounds I think Ilima-Lei can get Val to the ground a number of times. With opportunities for submission.

I know that answer that would help Claudia Gadelha and that would
be American Top Team because Dan Lambert has a coach there for
every function but Muay Thai & Kick Boxing.

Signs are pointing to Honchak being cut and/or retiring after her loss to Roxy.
I guess that retirement would make sense; she is getting up there in age. There doesn't seem to be a great matchup for Kuma's debut with so many of the top 15 already booked; it may be better for her to go can-crushing for a bit - whether in Invicta or UFC - while something materializes. I just wanna see her fight again dammit; the wait has been too long!

I really haven't found Val to be impressive in quite a while, and am not so sure that she is even a better striker than MacFarlane, nevermind "world's better" than her. It will be interesting to see how MacFarlane fares, as like you said she won't likely be able to bully Val in the clinch like she did Ducote. I do like MacFarlane's chances just because I think she is a better fighter overall, but this should stylistically be her toughest test yet.

I like MacFarlane's chances. I was skeptical of her abilities in the past. She rarely looks like a world-beater. But she's kept winning (usually via armbar) against decent opponents like Alejandra Lara & Emily Ducote. Valerie may have lost some ko power. Her last three fights went the distance. I don't think Val will damage MacFarlane much. Over five rounds I think Ilima-Lei can get Val to the ground a number of times. With opportunities for submission.
My thoughts on MacFarlane are that she has a very dangerous grappling game and a below average striking game. She has yet to fight someone skilled enough or with high enough fight IQ to exploit the clear holes in her striking or to be able to avoid her grappling. I was extremely surprised when Alejandra Lara's gameplan was grappling based. I believe even a diminished Valerie is MacFarlane best opponent in her career by far. The one thing that might bite Val in this fight is that she is also grappling happy when she starts to clinch with her opponents. If she can resist the urge to grapple at all cost with MacFarlane I think Val can win this fight. Talking about this fight is getting me more excited to watch how it unfolds.

Big congrats to @Xuh !!!

Please pm me so I can get this mailed out to you.

<DC-Champ>

Woo hoo! Finally an Invicta poster for my wall (since those putzes won't sell them on their website - do they hate money?) and with Jinh Yu Bae on it no less (who is my #1 pick on the all important Tapology Sexiest Fighter ranking - the only ranking that really means anything). And Helena Coleslawnik is nice too (just forget about her actual Invicta results...).

Yo everybody, if you haven't subscribed to Leto's channel yet slap yourself for not doing so already then subscribe. ;)

(I'm nut sure if there's any right way to pronounce this username, I always figured it more x-uh than x-ah tho. My schoolmate at the time (in 2002...) managed it as an impressively ragey sounding 'xurrgh' =P )

I know that answer that would help Claudia Gadelha and that would
be American Top Team because Dan Lambert has a coach there for
every function but Muay Thai & Kick Boxing.
Claudia moved to Vegas to use the PI, but it seems any improvements she may have made to her conditioning are null because her technique has become sloppier.

I think a stint with Team Alpha Male (or Treigning Lab) would suit Claudia really well. She seems to excel in a wrestling room environment, and needs to fix her wrestling technique.

Claudia moved to Vegas to use the PI, but it seems any improvements she may have made to her conditioning are null because her technique has become sloppier.

I think a stint with Team Alpha Male (or Treigning Lab) would suit Claudia really well. She seems to excel in a wrestling room environment, and needs to fix her wrestling technique.

Good call. And the Alpha Male squad always seem to be well-conditioned.

Now that "trading" is a thing in MMA, do you think the UFC and Bellator would contemplate a Cyborg for MacFarlane trade? Does this trade make sense to anyone?

Jarl

Now that "trading" is a thing in MMA, do you think the UFC and Bellator would contemplate a Cyborg for MacFarlane trade? Does this trade make sense to anyone?

Jarl
I'd love for that to go down. Make it MacFarlane + Val, Lara, Yankova, Williams, Artega etc. for Cyborg + Anderson to make it a total division trade and I think it fits both promotions best. UFC gets a bunch of depth for 125 while Bellator gets their name fights.

I think the UFC is banking on nabbing Kayla Harrison to fight Cyborg eventually so I don't see this happening though.

Back