Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I love these head movement gifs! Lawd I love me some head movement. Yall are moving Valentina up my favorite fighter list.

Ok, have another one:

wuHwNF2.gif

nDNxsNI.gif

And if I go through the rest of her fights I'll have enough gifs to choke your internet connection.

The commentators are wrong, period. The guys in the booth and most other folks get all enthused and jizz their pants when you get some bobblehead who constantly moves their head all over the place even when they're way out of range and in no danger of being hit. Both Shevchenko sisters are efficient and move their heads only when they have to, and only just enough to avoid the strike and stay in position to land a clean counter.

So both her corner and the commentators are wrong, but you two internet nobodies know better because you can pull up gifs from past fights that have absolutely no fucking relevance to this fight that happened tonight. Got it. Excuse me for ever doubting my fellow Sherdoggers.

I can’t comment on the other guy, who rarely posts here, but @aerius, you’re better than this.

After seeing Joanna fight Valentina I don't think Tatiana as she is now can beat her. Joanna's defensive grappling is just too good.

Well, back to 115 goes Joanna. I'd like to see if she can sprawl against Tatiana.

So both her corner and the commentators are wrong, but you two internet nobodies know better because you can pull up gifs from past fights that have absolutely no fucking relevance to this fight that happened tonight. Got it. Excuse me for ever doubting my fellow Sherdoggers.
After seeing Joanna fight Valentina I don't think Tatiana as she is now can beat her. Joanna's defensive grappling is just too good.
totally different styles of takedowns. Valentina is all upper body takedowns, with some trips thrown in. Suarez is a chain wrestler. It would make for an interesting study, if the fight happens.

I can’t comment on the other guy, who rarely posts here, but @aerius, you’re better than this.

It's just that taking her head off the center line and countering has been one of the staples of her game basically since forever:

DangerousLoneAnkole.gif

Jessica/Kaitlyin was a close fight. A lot of circling by Kaitlyin, with Jessica chasing. Enjoyed Eye's post-fight comments to Rogan.

Claudia started out strong, but begin to fade again. Nina was sticking her with the jab and had solid takedown defense for the most part. Props to Nina for improving as a fighter.

Valentina/JJ played out somewhat as expected. I though JJ's output might be a factor, but Valentina's counter-striking and grappling were too much. Those spinning back kicks and front kicks she was landing were sweet. Good to see Valentina finally get gold across her waist, she seems like a cool person anytime she talks.

Even though she just lost a title fight, I wouldn't mind JJ stay at 125 for a few fights at least for the fresh matchups. It's not like she looked completely outclassed, she just fought the best fighter in the division. I'm fairly confident she could have success at 125, and it's not like the division is filled with a bunch of killers.

You consider JJ an easy opponent?

Yeah, it went about like I thought it would: two kickboxers, neither with much stopping power in their hands, so the larger and more powerful fighter won.

And, (as I also said), this is a fairly substantial blow to JJ's career. If she goes back to SW, she's 1-3 in her last four fights, so really back at the bottom of the totem pole in that division (vs. just wait a bit and challenge Andrade/Suarez for the SW title). And, at 0-1 at FlyW, she has a long way to go (and that GOAT discussion?). That's why I was against this fight to begin with (I'm not a Val "hater"); it just didn't make sense, especially for JJ. She had no realistic path to victory (other than Val injury) and it would only hurt her legacy. IMO, this is often the case with [notable name fighter in division A] vs. [notable name fighter in division B] "superfights"; the outcome is already known and it doesn't really help either fighter's career.

Glad to so Nina do well. I thought she was big and strong enough to keep it competitive.

Jarl

Yeah, it went about like I thought it would: two kickboxers, neither with much stopping power in their hands, so the larger and more powerful fighter won.

And, (as I also said), this is a fairly substantial blow to JJ's career. If she goes back to SW, she's 1-3 in her last four fights, so really back at the bottom of the totem pole in that division (vs. just wait a bit and challenge Andrade/Suarez for the SW title). And, at 0-1 at FlyW, she has a long way to go (and that GOAT discussion?). That's why I was against this fight to begin with (I'm not a Val "hater"); it just didn't make sense, especially for JJ. She had no realistic path to victory (other than Val injury) and it would only hurt her legacy. IMO, this is often the case with [notable name fighter in division A] vs. [notable name fighter in division B] "superfights"; the outcome is already known and it doesn't really help either fighter's career.

Glad to so Nina do well. I thought she was big and strong enough to keep it competitive.

Jarl

Seriously, JJ did right choice to take this fight. Fans wanted this fight. It was her last good paycheck in the UFC, and she can say she was female in most title fights. If you're fan you should know when to stop pushing fighters to make stupid moves and it wasn't one of them, because simply she is 31 years old, and title fight in 115 lbs division was and still is nowhere close. She had good enough grappling to be quite safe after takedowns and took small damage during fight. She is kinda washed up imo. Since march 2015 she was in 9 title fights, and one non-title fights and you can safely say she is done as champion in the UFC. Other girls have belts and it's their job to promote wmma (outside and inside octagon), I will be always big fan of JJ, but I'm out of these discussion about what she should do next, because leaving mma it's what she should do next, not because she is not good fighter and can't be top. But because what is point?

And seriously just watch Chookingans fight...stop with nonsense. JJ did good move, at least she gave some name value for Shevchenko so this belt looks somehow legit.
Seriously how they gonna sell next title fights in this division... Who will face champion? Jessica Eye? And people were salty when JJ was still talking about WSW division prefight....

Who will face champion? Jessica Eye?
Carmouche & Alexis Davis both are harder matchups for Shev than Eye.

Carmouche would be the strongest grappler which Shev will meet at 125, and Alexis Davis has the skills to trap Shev in her guard.

Carmouche would be the strongest grappler which Shev will meet at 125, and Alexis Davis has the skills to trap Shev in her guard.
That was just empty question, because I'm completly not interested in this division. Only really looking for JoJo vs Lipski matchup currently, and that's it.
Cyborg vs Nunes will be same as Nunes/Shevchenko, Shevchenko/Joanna.
Counterpuncher waiting for pressure fighter to do something. Cyborg was waiting for Holly, she will wait for Nunes.
Female fights are mostly exciting, when pure striker vs grappler, so fighters are forced to force their style on oponent.
Lipski is a little bit wild, so I hope for good scrap.

Last edited:

Davis has the bjj skills to put pressure at bullet...
But no means to get her to the ground.

IMO, Carmouche is a nightmare matchup for everyone in the division.
She's probably the best wrestler at the division today

For Chookagian vs Eye I want Chook to win purely because I just can't stand Eye. Too bad 125 was made and she got to stay in the UFC...

For Ansaroff vs Gadelha I'll root for Nina. Partly because of underdog and partly because her and Amanda are really cute together.

For Jrxgcxlzik vs Shevchenko I'm feeling quite undecided. Tbh I don't exactly like either much. For curiousity's sake I might be rooting for Joanna, just to see if and how salty Val will react to the loss.
<34>

<YayKpop>

<Fedor23>

Valentina is one of the few WMMA fighters who have good head movement and Joanna's corner advice to her is "she has no head movement"
At least watch some tape ffs
And if I go through the rest of her fights I'll have enough gifs to choke your internet connection.

The commentators are wrong, period. The guys in the booth and most other folks get all enthused and jizz their pants when you get some bobblehead who constantly moves their head all over the place even when they're way out of range and in no danger of being hit. Both Shevchenko sisters are efficient and move their heads only when they have to, and only just enough to avoid the strike and stay in position to land a clean counter.
wuHwNF2.gif

nDNxsNI.gif
I'm pretty sure I've heard them (the commenters) praise Valentina's evasion skills in this fight with JJ tho. Just more as she-moves-herself(=her whole body)-out-of-the-way instead of (just-)moving-the-head.
Maybe they really only consider head-bobbling 'head movement' and file the rest more under general evasion?

Back