Official Women's Division Discussion #25

got a question for sherdog veterans: would it be possible to get a women's mma subforum made with an explicit rule about dickhole posters coming in and complaining about wmma? or do ppl like keeping it in the main threads and here

Not a veteran but sharing my thoughts. Here it's under worldwide mma discussion and we talk about wmmma worldwide. The so-called 'heavies' is for UFC discussion. Unless that changes or there's another compelling reason for moving it around, I like it here.

At press conference yesterday Claudia was asked about possibly moving up to 125 and she said she'd be more likely to move down to atomweight. She said her current weight cut was easy, that she only had to drop around four pounds.

Last edited:
At press conference yesterday Claudia {...} said she'd be more likely to move down to atomweight.
Huh?! o_O

Maybe I have missed some serious slimming down, but from how I remember Claudia I can't really imagine her making 105.

At press conference yesterday Claudia was asked about possibly moving up to 125 and she said she'd be more likely to move down to atomweight. She said her current weight cut was easy, that she only had to drop around four pounds.

Just from the eye test, it seems hard to believe Gadelha only drops four pounds. If so, Esparza and Torres, among others, must be weighing in with rocks in their pockets.

200.gif

So valentina weighed in lighter than Joanna. Size officially can't apply as an excuse.
Only if you think it's impossible for bigger people to cut to a lower weight than smaller people.

(I'm not automatically in the she's-smaller-so-of-course-she-lost camp tho)

Only if you think it's impossible for bigger people to cut to a lower weight than smaller people.

(I'm not automatically in the she's-smaller-so-of-course-she-lost camp tho)

If she has so tough a cut as some Joanna fans were claiming (one of them even said Valentina was killing herself and looking drained at bantamweight), why would she show up lighter than frail and undersized Joanna? I only wish people stopped with the undersized bullshit tbh. It's quite clear both are in their optimal weight classes.

If she has so tough a cut as some Joanna fans were claiming (one of them even said Valentina was killing herself and looking drained at bantamweight), why would she show up lighter than frail and undersized Joanna? I only wish people stopped with the undersized bullshit tbh. It's quite clear both are in their optimal weight classes.
Overcutting so she can really really 1000% be sure not to miss weight, maybe? I mean, I imagine she'd be devastated if the title fight was ruined again, especially of course if it were due to her own fault.

I don't think Joanna is undersized for 125, but if we're comparing her to Valentina I do think she's a bit smaller.

So valentina weighed in lighter than Joanna. Size officially can't apply as an excuse.
At the end of the day, fighters either make weight, or they dont’t. The rest is just endless arguing and conjecture. None of us live and train with these fighters, so we have no idea who walks around at what weight, etc etc.

All their weights tell us today is what weight they found themselves at when they stopped cutting and decided to weigh in. Nothing more, nothing less.

Road FC update:
%25EA%25B9%2580%25EC%2598%2581%25EC%25A7%2580%2BVS%2B%25EB%25A1%259C%25EC%259B%25AC%2B%25ED%2595%2584%25EA%25B1%25B0.jpg

Rowan Pilger steps in for injured Hae-In Kim to make her pro debut against Young-Ji Kim in what is now an openweight bout.

Overcutting so she can really really 1000% be sure not to miss weight, maybe? I mean, I imagine she'd be devastated if the title fight was ruined again, especially of course if it were due to her own fault.

I don't think Joanna is undersized for 125, but if we're comparing her to Valentina I do think she's a bit smaller.

Not sure. I think JJ is a little taller/longer, and Val is a little bit thicker. Going only off of weigh-in photos and vids, which is not exactly accurate. Val clearly carries more muscle in her upper body.

I seem to recall in an interview Antonina saying that Val was stronger than her.

Can Dana force fighters to move up in weight if there health ramifications
because the reason I'm asking is Flyweight Joanna looks filled out nicely
as to where Strawweight Joanna looks like she has a eating disorder.

Can Dana force fighters to move up in weight if there health ramifications
because the reason I'm asking is Flyweight Joanna looks filled out nicely
as to where Strawweight Joanna looks like she has a eating disorder.
well, yes, UFC can stop giving the athlete fights at a specific weight class

i spoke to Charles Du Bronx at the last UFC event i went and now he's a LW because he was forced to move up by UFC after missing weight 4 times (if i'm not mistaken) at FW, the fucked up part though? he STILL wants to drop down to FW, and he's looking phenomenal and winning at LW..

Last edited by a moderator:
Joanna looks slightly better at 125. Not great but better. I know it won't happen but I'd love to see her at 135 even for just a fight or two. She'd likely experience success there just like Valentina and can easily add weight to her thin frame.

Masson-Wong put a Cyborg type beating on her opponent, shit a towel was thrown into the ring

Masson-Wong put a Cyborg type beating on her opponent, shit a towel was thrown into the ring
Micallef really didn't belong there and got bullied the entire fight. She's on par with the infamous Katie Soccer Mom Castro, to be honest.

Masson-Wong is young with power but slow and needs work on her combos; she throws punches as if her lower body is encased in ice.

Back