Official Women's Division Discussion #25

No mention of her god there... I had to stop following Ostovich on instagram cause of her religious propaganda became intolerable - has the UFC put a gag on LORD, and JESUS and assorted allcapsed spam?

As a fan of Rachael I am happy for anything happening to her that will help her career. However, my BS detector is going off. The timing of this TMZ story seems fishy. It seems to me like the UFC is building her up in the media for her fight with PVZ. Depending on who wins that fight and how well they do Rachael could start to get big. This seems like them sowing the seeds early like they did with their comparison of Tatiana with Khabib.

This makes no sense. Rachael is a lousy 4-4 journeywoman who would have been cut already from the UFC if not for her looks. There is nothing to hype up or build. Any female fighter with an iota of skill would smash her.

Even in the looks department, she is nothing exceptional; excellent body and average face, like thousands of other Instagram thots.

And look at that silly TMZ article. 48 total likes despite being up for over 24 hours. I'VE sent out more popular tweets than that.

This makes no sense. Rachael is a lousy 4-4 journeywoman who would have been cut already from the UFC if not for her looks. There is nothing to hype up or build. Any female fighter with an iota of skill would smash her.

Even in the looks department, she is nothing exceptional; excellent body and average face, like thousands of other Instagram thots.

And look at that silly TMZ article. 48 total likes despite being up for over 24 hours. I'VE sent out more popular tweets than that.
How good a fighter is only part of what makes them popular. PVZ can also be called a journeywomen but is one of the most popular WMMA fighters around. While Eddie Alveraz was pulling lowest ever ratings on FOX PVZ pulled 4 to 5mil. You are mistaking likes and retweets to a simple tweet to actual reach. TMZ is followed by almost 5 mil people. So you know a lot of people saw it some of those people also went to the article to see what they were talking about without liking the tweet like I did.

This specific tweet might only have a few likes and retweets but that is to be expected because Rachael is currently still unknown. That is the whole point with sowing a seed. The gains from it will come at a later date which would be if she puts up a good fight vs the already popular fighter PVZ. You already know this fight will get extra promotion due to it being the 1st card on ESPN also. The UFC tweets comparing Tatiana to Khabib seemed like they fell on deaf ears until after the Carla fight then everyone was making that comparison.

How good a fighter is only part of what makes them popular. PVZ can also be called a journeywomen but is one of the most popular WMMA fighters around.

While this is true, a fighter still has to occasionally win, no matter how popular they are from their looks. Angela Magana was plenty popular/infamous, but got cut after her 3rd straight loss in the UFC and 5th straight loss overall.

Ostovich is arguably a worse fighter, and there isn't a single woman on the roster at 125 she would be favored against. They're not going to keep her if she loses.

Rizz said:
The gains from it will come at a later date which would be if she puts up a good fight vs the already popular fighter PVZ.

"Gains" for a fighter with a then losing record (4-5) dominated by every UFC-caliber woman she will have faced?

Rizz said:
The UFC tweets comparing Tatiana to Khabib seemed like they fell on deaf ears until after the Carla fight then everyone was making that comparison.

Your own example contradicts your argument. No cared about the hype for Tatiana until she WON. More specifically, until she had a dominant, impressive, stoppage victory against a former champion. Then, and only then did they respond to the hype.

Folks would care about Ostovich if she won, too. However, that's unlikely to happen given her record and skillset.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know the finances of Invicta? How much they pay their fighters, how much they take in, etc?

While this is true, a fighter still has to occasionally win, no matter how popular they are from their looks. Angela Magana was plenty popular/infamous, but got cut after her 3rd straight loss in the UFC and 5th straight loss overall.

Ostovich is arguably a worse fighter, and there isn't a single fighter on the roster at 125 she would be favored against. They're not going to keep her if she loses.

"Gains" for a fighter with a then losing record (4-5) dominated by every UFC-caliber woman she will have faced?

Your own example contradicts your argument. No cared about the hype for Tatiana until she WON. More specifically, until she had a dominant, impressive, stoppage victory against a former champion. Then, and only then did they respond to the hype.

Folks would care about Ostovich if she won, too. However, that's unlikely to happen given her record and skillset.
People were already calling Suarez a future champ before the win over Esparza.

People were already calling Suarez a future champ before the win over Esparza.

And even more people called Suarez that after the fight. That's what happens when you're undefeated, dominate every single opponent you've faced in the UFC (TUF included), and have an impressive skillset.

What possible comparison is there to Ostovich here? You may as well compare Kamaru Usman to CM Punk.

What I do know about Invicta is Shannon Knapp operates on a smaller
margin which means fighters don't make wheel barrows of money and
as far as income from the shows probably just even after all expenses
are covered.

ONE Championship CEO questions Angela Lee's decision to move up, go for second title

Surprised by this. Only time he or anyone at ONE has shown the slightest bit of doubt when it comes to her. OTOH, it also sets up her possible victory to look even greater.

WRT the fight itself, Xiong is gonna have to be careful and fight very smart. Her last opponent managed to take her back. Can't let that happen with Lee.

As for size, I'd have to see them next to each other for comparison. Only One inch between them. Lee is a lot bigger than most of the girls in her weight class.

Weird; I thought she had already been cut. It's interesting that she is still on the roster while DeAnna Bennett is not.
I think the main reason why Deanna was cut was she used the Pearl Gonzalez style of fighting where she pushes you up against the cage for the whole fight trying to get a takedown that will probably never come. Its why Pearl was let go kind of fast also.

What I do know about Invicta is Shannon Knapp operates on a smaller
margin which means fighters don't make wheel barrows of money and
as far as income from the shows probably just even after all expenses
are covered.

Sure, and what boxing promoter Lou DiBella said about their offer to his fighter Heather Hardy before she chose Bellator (who were apparently offering more) would indicate something similar. But I'm really curious whether there is any breakdown of their financials.

I think the main reason why Deanna was cut was she used the Pearl Gonzalez style of fighting where she pushes you up against the cage for the whole fight trying to get a takedown that will probably never come. Its why Pearl was let go kind of fast also.

Ugh, I hate that. Every fan has their preferences, myself included, but I like seeing a variety of fighting styles and tactics. I don't appreciate organizations deciding certain fighting styles are "boring" and their practioners shouldn't get as much of a chance.

Especially since a great many "exciting" fighters fail to draw interest and move the needle.

Sure, and what boxing promoter Lou DiBella said about their offer to his fighter Heather Hardy before she chose Bellator (who were apparently offering more) would indicate something similar. But I'm really curious whether there is any breakdown of their financials.

Ugh, I hate that. Every fan has their preferences, myself included, but I like seeing a variety of fighting styles and tactics. I don't appreciate organizations deciding certain fighting styles are "boring" and their practioners shouldn't get as much of a chance.

Especially since a great many "exciting" fighters fail to draw interest and move the needle.
Big difference between "failing to move the needle" and "boring everyone to sleep" or "getting booed out of the arena."

Loma Lookboonmee is booked to fight again Nov 3 at Full Metal Dojo in Thailand.

Hope they can squeeze her onto the poster.
Dq-Hwnhe-VYAA0-Llh.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

Also Anna Janthasri/Supergirl Jaroonsak made her amateur mma debut this weekend. This girl is 15-16 years old, and already fighting good pro adult fighters in muay thai.

Last edited:
Back