Official Women's Division Discussion #25

JJ is in danger of becoming the next Holly Holm. If/when she loses this fight, she'll be 1-3 in her last four fights. That's a tarnished legacy. If she would just bide her time and stay active by beating a random top 10 fighter (she hasn't beaten), then she would be in a good position to face Suarez or Andrade (i.e. the next SW champion) for the belt. She would have a chance to be the first two-time women's champ in the UFC.

125 is quickly becoming a joke...but it's got a long way to go before it reaches 145 levels of hilarity. But, if Nunes KOs Cyborg, then suddenly 125 will be the saddest, most boring division...with a champ that beat a SW for the title.

Jarl

This weekend I'm going Souza, Robertson and ...... well Markos is due to win.

Stoliarenko is a more interesting fighter than I had realised, no one told me about her lethwei fights for a start. Her fight with Pudilova was crazy as well.

A bunch of 125ers are going to get their panties in a bunch over this one. I think it was the right decision for the long term health of the division.

We who enjoy WMMA should send Nicco a fruit basket to thank her for bringing this match up into fruition.
Now we'll have HD footage of Valentina vs Joanna instead of shitty 144p youtube videos.
I'm really glad this fight is happening.

JJ is in danger of becoming the next Holly Holm. If/when she loses this fight, she'll be 1-3 in her last four fights. That's a tarnished legacy. If she would just bide her time and stay active by beating a random top 10 fighter (she hasn't beaten), then she would be in a good position to face Suarez or Andrade (i.e. the next SW champion) for the belt. She would have a chance to be the first two-time women's champ in the UFC.

125 is quickly becoming a joke...but it's got a long way to go before it reaches 145 levels of hilarity. But, if Nunes KOs Cyborg, then suddenly 125 will be the saddest, most boring division...with a champ that beat a SW for the title.

Jarl
beating soccer moms better for legacy than fighting for title? i don't think, so, plus comparision to Holly is weak,joanna will have 9 title fights, so she will surpas Ronda - 8

UFC Sao Paulo. Three Brazilians versus an Iraqi by way of Canada training out of Michigan, a Canadian & an Aussie.

Randa 'Quiet Storm' Markos vs. Marina Rodriguez. Rodriguez is coming off a first round ko on DWCS. Looks good in the clinch. Randa's a game boxer / brawler. In a recent interview she identified her mental game as needing improvement. Has a tendency to get ahead then drift into a haze. Rodriguez.

Mayra Bueno 'Sheetara' Silva vs. Gillian 'The Savage' Robertson. Gillian's put together a couple of nice finishes - R1 armbar v Whitmire & R2 rear naked choke v McCann. Welcome to the UFC Sheetara. Robertson.

Livia 'Livinha' Renata Souza vs. Alex 'Astrogirl' Chambers. Souza's a black belt in bjj. Athletic, tenacious, loves ground & pound. Astrogirl must keep it on the feet, fend off takedowns. The Brazilian Gangsta's gonna be pumped up in front of her home town crowd. Astrogirl may be jet-lagged. Souza.

Last edited:
I don't care who it upsets, i'm all for the JJ/Valentina match up.

I would be very interested to know which flyweights ducked the fight that Priscila took in Belem. According to Valentina "everyone" turned it down. I don't think anyone who was reluctant to fight her then has any cause for complaint now.

I don't care who it upsets, i'm all for the JJ/Valentina match up.

Same. It's a relatively high-profile fight that guarentees a relatively high-profile Champ. The flyweights should be delighted and grateful that they'll soon have an active Champ with a bit of name-value to aim for.

Last edited:

Jarl

Respectfully disagree. Regardless of the outcome JJ's legacy remains intact. This fight's a shot of adrenaline for the division. The rest will duke it out for contention. The older ones are dropping like flies. Amongst the younger generation, some will prove themselves worthy challengers.

Seo is stepping in on short notice to replace the injured Yu-Jin Jung. Seo has fiught at flyweight twice before, once against the grandma who beats up on kids, Emilio Raika, and once against a late replacement opponent who couldn’t make straw weight in time. Most of her fights have come at ~110 lbs, and Seo says she would like to fight Ham one day.
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/139191-ji-yeon-seo

Source article: https://m.sports.naver.com/general/news/read.nhn?oid=575&aid=0000000334

Same event:

is the event gonna air somewhere?
Don’t know.

It's all about showing & taking initiative. The cancelled fight with Nicco wasn't the first time Valentina's had a fight fall through, in fact, she'd been predicting it would happen for ages. So why didn't any of the other Flyweights stay ready to step in? Why didn't they call out Val for a title shot as soon as the fight fell through? The division is a total clusterfuck so anyone in the top 5-10 has a decent chance of getting a shot.

Or let me put it another way. September 8th, the day after the fight was cancelled and Joanna & her management team are already working to make the title shot happen. WTF was everyone else doing, waiting for Uncle Dana to hand them a belt?

One step closer to the most absurd dream match; Joanna vs Roxanne Modafferi!

I like Joanna going up either way, and hope she stays. She's lanky enough to kickbox with most everyone there, and should be taking a pretty strong speed advantage with her. Main reason to cut a lot of weight would be because you're a short/short reached striker in a division, or you're trying to negate wrestling/grappling advantages. I don't think either of those things apply to Joanna, who was cutting to strawweight in the first place because flyweight didn't exist yet.

My only worry is that Joanna has compromised her durability through wear & tear + weight cuts, but I'm hoping the move up gives her a bit of extra time in that regard.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm really intrigued by the fight and how it will play out. If JJ loses to Val (who seems to be the betting favorite), does she stay at 125 or look to drop back down to 115 and wait for Rose to maybe lose the belt. If she wins, she becomes the 1st womens double champ in the UFC and rebounds nicely from the 2 losses to Rose.

I think Joanna has a better chance than people are giving her. I can see her winning a decision by volume alone. Valentina's low output worries me a little (although she's been fighting people 3x her size in the UFC). I'm really curious to see whether Valentina will be able to bully Joanna in the clinch as I'm predicting.
Really interesting fight. I'm kinda nervous as a Valentina fan to be honest.

I think Joanna has a better chance than people are giving her. I can see her winning a decision by volume alone. Valentina's low output worries me a little (although she's been fighting people 3x her size in the UFC). I'm really curious to see whether Valentina will be able to bully Joanna in the clinch as I'm predicting.

I think the clinch will be what determines it as well. Yeah, Val dumped her on the back of her lap quite a bit ten years ago, but since then JJ has developed incredible TDD.

One of the reasons why I am looking forward to the fight. JJ's high output vs. Val's precision, timing and footwork. Chookigan, who probably had the best claim of the 125'ers, has nothing for Val. Sure, she also throws relatively high output, but her footwork and timing are so bad that most of the fight will look like Val hitting her from her victory dance.

I'm backing Souza, Robertson & Markos to win their UFC Sao Paulo bouts this weekend, the former two by sub most likely and Markos probably a decision. No one mentioned Denise Kielholtz vs Veta Arteaga at Bellator 205 tonight, but I'm also backing current Bellator kickboxing champion Denise to move one step closer to earning a title shot in the Bellator flyweight division with a win over scrappy Veta Arteaga.

UFC Sao Paulo. Three Brazilians versus an Iraqi by way of Canada training out of Michigan, a Canadian & an Aussie.

Randa 'Quiet Storm' Markos vs. Marina Rodriguez. Rodriguez is coming off a first round ko on DWCS. Looks good in the clinch. Randa's a game boxer / brawler. In a recent interview she identified her mental game as needing improvement. Has a tendency to get ahead then drift into a haze. Rodriguez.

Mayra Bueno 'Sheetara' Silva vs. Gillian 'The Savage' Robertson. Gillian's put together a couple of nice finishes - R1 armbar v Whitmire & R2 rear naked choke v McCann. Welcome to the UFC Sheetara. Robertson.

Livia 'Livinha' Renata Souza vs. Alex 'Astrogirl' Chambers. Souza's a black belt in bjj. Athletic, tenacious, loves ground & pound. Astrogirl must keep it on the feet, fend off takedowns. The Brazilian Gangsta's gonna be pumped up in front of her home town crowd. Astrogirl may be jet-lagged. Souza.
This Livia vs Chambers fight depresses me. I like Alex but I don't see how she can win this fight. Hopefully I am wrong.

This Livia vs Chambers fight depresses me. I like Alex but I don't see how she can win this fight. Hopefully I am wrong.

Agreed. The UFC has not given her many winnable fights. Even when skill levels are comparable, she is fighting much bigger women. Too bad, as she seems really cool.

Other than Antonina who she'll never fight, I think Joanna and Carmouche are the hardest matchups for Valentina at 125. I'm not too concerned about volume since Valentina's distance control and clinch work will always kill the striking output of her opponents, Holly for instance threw about as many strikes in 5 rounds as she does in 3 round fights against other opponents.

I've been a big fan of both fighters since I found out about them, which was shortly before their UFC debuts. I expect Valentina to win because of their way their skills match up, but I think it's going to be a hell of a good fight. This is the fight I'm looking forward to the most this year.

Back