Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Is there any chance that Pearl Gonzalez returns to UFC because
she has shown drastic improvement at Invicta thanks to spending
her last 2 fight camps with Manolo Hernandez at San Diego Combat
Academy who also trains Liz Carmouche & Ilima-Lei Macfarlane.

Pearl has spent most of her pro camps at SDCA (believe her XFC title match was the first time she was there). She tends to split camps on occasion between SDCA and Chicago.

From what Pearl has told me in interviews she wants to stay busy at Invicta and build towards a title (wanting to be the first to hold two belts in Invicta). UFC is always the goal but seems content to be in Invicta for a bit.

So I put the KSW rumor on twitter and Aga's management responded

I honestly do not think that Ronda's knees affected her wrestling, although I will allow I lack proper data here. I have seen her use a single, and she trained judo during a time when singles and doubles were actually allowed in competition (Not a big fan of the rule changes myself), Plus, there is a great deal of knee stress with quite a few throws secondary to pivoting.

Again I suspect shit coaching that fostered a sense of entitlement.

Her performance against Zingano (who made a mistake) was a master-class in capitalizing on a specific use of the underhook. She executed a reversal while posting on one foot and upside down, for fucks sake. Another comment on that fight would be the idiots bashing Cat for her comment about "I didn't know Rousey would go for the arm." After Ronda had her back nearly every BJJ player would go for the RNC because that is safer (meaning less likely to result in a sacrifice of position). Ronda slipped to the side and executed a low-percentage/high-risk arm bar flawlessly in about 1.5 seconds.

Great breakdown of Ronda-Tate II:

https://artofgrappling.com/2013/12/29/ufc-168-rousey-tate-judo-throw-highlights-gifs/

I was a Ronda Super fan back in the day so I remember her constantly saying she did not wrestle much due to her bad knees. Even after her fight camp for Sara McMann she needed minor knee surgery due to the increase in wrestling she did specifically for McMann. She put it off to fight Alexis Davis be cause the date was a special one and well she is Alexis Davis so there was not much threat.

“When I did the Miesha (Tate) and (Sara) McMann fights back to back, I had put so much wear on it from not resting in between. With McMann, I had to do so much wrestling that my knee started to really act up. I rested after that and it started feeling better. I knew I had to get surgery, but it wasn’t really imminent. My knee is really stable. All the ligaments are fine, there’s just stuff floating around in there,”

https://www.mmaweekly.com/ronda-rou...nces-she-needs-knee-surgery-following-ufc-175

Gonzales evolved? Maybe a bit. Sure.
She should have a second chance in UFC for now? No. A enormous part of the reason she's performing better and getting it done it's because of the subpar competition in Invicta. Acioly had a awful performance and her ground game is really shitty. I remember Gonzales going for a sloppy asf transition to a armbar, which Acioly could've exploited to gain position, but she did nothing due to lack of experience, skill and terrible timing.

Her in UFC again would be too soon. Give her a step up in competition at 125, maybe make her vs. Aga eventually. If she wins let's say 2 more fights against credible opponents, then sure, but her last UFC bout was pathetic AND boring, therefore she has to PROVE she belongs, not to make SOME wonder.

Itzel Esquivel def Desiree Yanez by armbar round 1. Desiree fought off that armbar for a while

Kind of went under the radar but EBI 15 is going down Sunday streaming on UFC Fight Pass. 16 woman tournament with a lot of familiar names.

36046230_653710644976750_4869270879504171008_n.jpg

For me, the Zingano fight marked the end of Ronda's evolution as a grappler, which is too bad as she could have still continued to improve. The fight with Betche was the beginning of the end of her career. Not going to link to videos, anyone can look them up and it pisses me off to watch a coach do this (something that is done to make kids feel better about their striking) but when the mouth-breathing ass-douche would hold pads for her, he would "slap in" or aggressively move the pads in for her to it. This results in faster hands and more noise, so it is a great baby-sitting tool. It also results in the fighter throwing short if they continue to do this (if you watch you can see plenty of Ronda's hooks just wing in and skim by her opponent's face. She never learned to judge distance because Sir Goat-Fuck from Beyond the Crab Nebula would move in instead of forcing her to actually learn to apply footwork.

You can pretty much judge the quality of coaching by the quality of the fundamentals. There are really good coaches who teach very solid fundamentals and it shows in all their students. If you have someone who will not drill the basics, you do not have an athlete, you have a spoiled child. I may not know much about an infinite amount of shit, but I am pretty sure there is no where you get too good at the basics.

Related to this. Someone a while back posted a Bas Rutten interview clip where he claimed that Ronda actually had decent striking, this was of course laughed off by pretty much everyone. I almost shrugged it off myself but I had way too much time on my hands and decided to go look up a bunch of Ronda's training & open workout footage to see if Bas was being a comedian or if he was seeing something the rest of us weren't.

And that's where it gets interesting. If you look at Ronda's earlier training & open workout footage, she's actually doing things decently. She's actually using a decent stance and stepping properly instead of the wide stance and spastic bouncing that she was known for in her last couple fights. When she was hitting pads she actually took angles on entries & exits instead of running straight in on the centre line. It wasn't anything special but I'd rate it as solidly average or maybe even a bit above par for WMMA. But fucking Taverdickwad fucked all that up, you can actually see Ronda's skills devolve the longer she trained with him. You can watch her skills improve dramatically if you watch her open workout/training footage in reverse chronological order. It's that bad.

Kind of went under the radar but EBI 15 is going down Sunday streaming on UFC Fight Pass. 16 woman tournament with a lot of familiar names.

Thanks for the reminder... I've been looking forward to this ever since they announced it like 23 months ago.

Well, two bad fights and one ok fight.

Jessica Eye is the most polished female fighter tonight, she belongs to top 10 in WFLW.

Ji Yeon Kim needs to learn proper footwork for cutting cage and how to rotate her hip for powershots, she is gifted with a huge reach and she should learn how fight like Nunes instead of a mediocre point fighter.

Yan Xiaonan has the same problem as lots of fighters coming from traditional martial arts background, they only fight at one rhythm due to the lack of pressure from light sparring.

I don't understand why Viviane Pereira & Melinda Fabian made no adjustment during their fight, you are losing anyway why not take some risk to shake things up?

Jessy Jess taking it well and with the most excellent sportsmanship:

I agree Xiaonan performance wasn't perfect, sure, but scored 30-27 for her and i was very impressed by her footwork, she was able to circle the cage for the whole fight without going backwards much, try to watch other WMMA fights and to pay attention only to footwork, the fighter playing more of a counter striker role is always getting herself trapped against the cage, going only forward and backwards, doing lateral movement ONLY when trapped. With Xiaonan was different, she knew exactly where she was the entire time, and she knew how to make Pereira go after her. Good fight IMO.

Also, not WMMA news, but if you don't like Sakuraba you can fuck off..... I heard Eddie Bravo will apparently be sending 10th Planet team to compete in QUINTET 2 or 3. Pretty cool.

Trying to watch EBI 12 right now to pregame for tonight.... and of course I get a connection error. Once again the UFC irritates me.

I agree Xiaonan performance wasn't perfect, sure, but scored 30-27 for her and i was very impressed by her footwork, she was able to circle the cage for the whole fight without going backwards much, try to watch other WMMA fights and to pay attention only to footwork, the fighter playing more of a counter striker role is always getting herself trapped against the cage, going only forward and backwards, doing lateral movement ONLY when trapped. With Xiaonan was different, she knew exactly where she was the entire time, and she knew how to make Pereira go after her. Good fight IMO.

Agree, Xiaonan's footwork was a pleasure to watch. She continually confounded Pereira who had difficulty getting in long enough to fire off a combination or shoot for a takedown or push her up against the fence.

Mildly off topic, but this woman on twitter named Sunkist said Yan Xianon robbed Kailin Curran and Viviane Periera both and I’m amused.

Mildly off topic, but this woman on twitter named Sunkist said Yan Xianon robbed Kailin Curran and Viviane Periera both and I’m amused.
I put her on ignore instantly. She is a crazy cyborg fan that harasses any fighter or anyone who does not agree with anything Cyborg says or does. The latest set of fighters she was harassing was Jessica Rose Clark and Megan Anderson. I understand she picked Megan Anderson because she is a potential opponent for Cyborg but I don't understand why she picked JRC. JRC is almost never in drama. I think Sunkist has her targets set on Yan because Kailin is a friend of Cyborg and that loss is the one that got her cut.

Was her name EM or some shit like that? Edit, okay, Sunkist. Yeah, I put that psycho bitch on ignore over a year ago.

Back