Official Women's Division Discussion #25

What? She lacks, oh, let me see: footwork, a decent jab, head movement, decent grappling, timing, distance control (secondary to footwork like she is trying to stomp out cockroaches without turning on a light), etc. She has a half-way decent record against sub-par competition in the weakest division in all of MMA. And now she is going the Cyborg route, fighting another woman who can make 135 without difficulty.

I have literally seen nothing impressive from her at all.

TUF tryouts tomorrow - can verify these ladies will be there

• Ediane Gomes
  • Sarah Alpar
  • Pam Sorenson
  • Faith Van Duin
  • Sarah Patterson
  • Cindy Dadnois
  • Zarah Fairn
  • Jozette Cotton

• Ediane Gomes
  • Sarah Alpar
  • Pam Sorenson
  • Faith Van Duin
  • Sarah Patterson
  • Cindy Dadnois
  • Zarah Fairn
  • Jozette Cotton
Isn't Jozette Cotton the one who jumps around like a pogo stick? If so please don't add her to the show.

Man, I hope some decent talent shows up. If this ends up being who is on the show this division will be a car wreck. If this ends up being what fills out 145 I don't think it survives Cyborg leaving. The only way 145 survives Cyborg leaving would be if some big 135ers like Cat move up. The problem with that is 135 is weak as well.

Isn't Jozette Cotton the one who jumps around like a pogo stick? If so please don't add her to the show.

Man, I hope some decent talent shows up. If this ends up being who is on the show this division will be a car wreck. If this ends up being what fills out 145 I don't think it survives Cyborg leaving. The only way 145 survives Cyborg leaving would be if some big 135ers like Cat move up. The problem with that is 135 is weak as well.

Personally 155 is a lot deeper than 145 but the UFC kind of painted themselves in a corner.

Cotton is advertising she will be there, but remember they have to weigh-in so I bet she doesn't make it past the first round.

• Ediane Gomes
  • Sarah Alpar
  • Pam Sorenson
  • Faith Van Duin
  • Sarah Patterson
  • Cindy Dadnois
  • Zarah Fairn
  • Jozette Cotton

Can add Marciea Allen, Liz Phillps, Pannie Kiazad and Sarah Allen are also going.

Possibles include Wendy Rodriguez, Annely Jimenez Garcia, Brenda Gonzales, and Evva Johnson.

Hearing Jessy Miele has some stuff going on and can't make it.

Last edited:
Well, it seems at least we will most likely have a season then.

On May 27, talented, gritty, yet inexperienced Gina Mazany and decorated striker Lina Länsberg meet at UFC Fight Night 130. This fight may not matter much when it comes to the rankings or positioning for a title run, but it is important. The women’s bantamweight division is short on recognizable names and talent in general. Let’s take a closer look at Länsberg, how her strengths and weaknesses factor in to her upcoming match-up and where her future lies in the division.

http://combatpress.com/2018/05/a-closer-look-lina-lansberg/

Cool. I'd love to see them build a real bantamweight division. And of course (the one we're all waiting for) atomweight too.

Grasso comments:

Googly-moogly translated that says:

"We like to talk about when we are doing well, when everything is beautiful and perfect. But I know it's also good to show that side that nobody likes, those moments that make us spend a bitter drink.
Last night I got to lose with a killer in round 1 and I almost fell asleep!
Life is like that, like a big bet, I was offered this fight and my first reaction was to tell my coaches -Of course, we have to take big challenges, because these opportunities are to prepare us as never before and face them in the best way.
2 things are safe: you win or lose, but * NEVER * STAY SEEING HOW TIME GOES BY DOING NOTHING AND NOT HAVING TRIED IT!
That's why I'm here, that's why I've come here: to compete in the elite of MMA.
I do not have any injuries, all I want is to return to the gym to train and correct my mistakes.
That's how an athlete's heart heals!
Thanks to all my team for taking care of me and supporting me in the good and not so good ones.
This only fills me with energy and forces me to be better.
I love you and I thank you all for your messages of love, it's very beautiful "
Sounds like a good attitude to me, also sounds a bit like her team were not keen on the fight but she was all wide-eyed pure-heart disney hero 'we must face the greatest challenges if we wish to prevail...' *heroic music swells*

Haha! Indeed it sounds like her team was like 'oh hell no don't take that fight.' I like her positive energy. It's courageous taking challenging fights. Well maybe not always like if they completely suck & are delusional or make absurd excuses. Prior to the RNC I actually thought Alexa was doing pretty well. Her striking looked crisp and she was moving pretty good. Considering how good Tatiana looked (and I like her too) and what she's going to do to most of the division if she remains healthy, it's not even a terrible loss.

Some time I'd like to hear someone say before a fight 'I see almost no way of winning - my opponent is better in wrestling, her standup has improved, she's super strong and she's got that I beat cancer and don't give a fuck about anything attitude. I'm at +375 but really if you watch her past fights and mine I should be at around +2000.'

By the way I looked at the link you linked earlier - the Key & Peele video satire of a cheesy fight academy. One of the funniest things I've seen in a while!

Well, wrestling also features a strong endurance component. (both muscular and cardiovascular). One of the biggest issues with MMA is that you literally have to be good at everything, and damn few people are. There was only one Jim Thorpe.

Yeah and it creates interest for viewers as in 'what might happen?'

Esoteric fact about Jim Thorpe. He cut one of the earliest hip hop records 'I Am Jimmy T.' It didn't chart as people found his obscene trash talking flow offensive. I made that up.

King Reina has an opponent for her featherweight debut

Her second straight Korean debutant. Eventually, they’ll run out of them for her to face.

Has anyone mentioned that Loma won gold at IFMA, bring on atomweight.

Not sure what happened with Mazo, ref stopped it in the second against the tall Swede,
Lima definitely has potential in mma. The big deciding factor is how dedicated to it she’ll be, considering she can make money faster taking Muay Thai fights which likely come more frequently.

It will be interesting to see how Invicta matches her up in the future.

From where?
I was hoping there are some unknown kickboxers or something. I would have never tried to start a real 145 division but now that its here I am hoping it can get its stuff together. It needs some real talent. I am hoping Cindy got her striking to passable levels. I am hoping Pam Sorenson and Felicia Spencer has made a lot of improvements and can start making a name for themselves. I hope the UFC can get Charmaine Tweet and Amanda Bell. Say what you want about their talent levels but they always come to make exciting fights.

145 desperately needs some prospects to get people interested and invested in it. Most people who know MMA knows Megan has a ton of holes in her game but she is at least good enough to be considered a prospect. If we had more of her this division would be more healthy. Keep the clowns like Cotton away. 145 is already having a rough start we don't need setbacks due to Cotton doing something embarrassing in the cage. I know I am grasping at straws here but its all we have with this thin division. Sorry, this reply somehow turned into my thoughts on the UFC starting this division.

All the non Cyborg fans this might be some good news. If Cyborg leaves It would not bother me much. However, this raises some interesting questions. If she leaves will the UFC Keep the 145 division?
She wants to have 2 more fights in UFC (maybe M. Anderson + Nunes), get some time off to focus on boxing, fight Braekhus and then come back to MMA, giving 145 time to develop contenders in the process. If possible, she doesn't want to give away her title, and she won't be done with MMA by the end of her current contract, so nah, these aren't that good of news for the Cyborg haters..
And now she is going the Cyborg route, fighting another woman who can make 135 without difficulty.
Once again this clown talks out of his ass just to hate at Cyborg, even indirectly..

Holm is a huge 135er, she can make it, sure, she has proven to be able to many times in the past, but without difficulty? Absurd statement.

She struggles a lot. She walks around very heavy for a BW, at 155/160+ lbs and she is physically a big woman (body type, reach, height), fight night she was supposedly heavier than Cyborg, and she was stronger in the clinch too, holding Cyborg there for some minutes and also looking as big as Cyborg.

A few weeks ago 1 of Holly Holm's trainers, maybe her S&C coach, said she was killing herself to make it (135) and that this huge cut isn't worthy anymore, near to retirement, hence she is fighting at 145 now.
It's fact that she walks around heavier than most of the other 135ers, so stop with this stupidity trying to point to something that wasn't there (a physical advantage for Cyborg against Holm as far as size goes). Cyborg won due to a skill difference, and a better gameplan.

Your pathetic hate towards her blinds you from the truth and from the facts.

Last edited:
I was hoping there are some unknown kickboxers or something. I would have never tried to start a real 145 division but now that its here I am hoping it can get its stuff together. It needs some real talent. I am hoping Cindy got her striking to passable levels. I am hoping Pam Sorenson and Felicia Spencer has made a lot of improvements and can start making a name for themselves. I hope the UFC can get Charmaine Tweet and Amanda Bell. Say what you want about their talent levels but they always come to make exciting fights.

145 desperately needs some prospects to get people interested and invested in it. Most people who know MMA knows Megan has a ton of holes in her game but she is at least good enough to be considered a prospect. If we had more of her this division would be more healthy. Keep the clowns like Cotton away. 145 is already having a rough start we don't need setbacks due to Cotton doing something embarrassing in the cage. I know I am grasping at straws here but its all we have with this thin division. Sorry, this reply somehow turned into my thoughts on the UFC starting this division.

This amount of hope on your part reminds me of when I was a kid hoping for a snow day in grade school. Rarely panned out then, either.

:)

Given there are not that many large, athletic women (plenty of fat people of both genders, not the point) who have the desire and discipline to be professional athletes in the USA at least, most are snapped up by sports with a proper development system (such as becoming throwers for track and field, etc). This, combined with the fact that in many countries the populace is smaller than our grain-fed dumb-asses, and there are just far fewer women who are athletic at about 160-170 lbs. So you have a smaller talent pool to chose from in general before they are selected out by other factors.

• Ediane Gomes
  • Sarah Alpar
  • Pam Sorenson
  • Faith Van Duin
  • Sarah Patterson
  • Cindy Dadnois
  • Zarah Fairn
  • Jozette Cotton
Why is Alpar trying out at 145 when she's 5'4" short and has fought predominately as a 125er?

Maybe Jessica Andrade can move up to 145 and be champ, too...She can go Ultimate Warrior style and gorilla press Elizabeth Phillips and Pam Sorenson for the ratings.

Last edited:
Back