Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Has anyone mentioned that Loma won gold at IFMA, bring on atomweight.

Not sure what happened with Mazo, ref stopped it in the second against the tall Swede,

What is interesting is that probably the best paid athletes in Japan are their "amateur" wrestlers. They have been so dominate the past decade in the world championships and the Olympics there is a reason why they aren't crossing move to MMA as much.
Had Icho made a transition let's say 4 years ago, that would have been something. For sure..

gnews1238-2.jpg

8a84e674dd47d240ff3d6e13eded91ce.png

261eec9f96d8c5f87eadad6b1c5dd5a2.png

Re money & careers, you don't just choose to be a pro at mma, tennis or hoops. You've gotta start with talent & dedication.
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous people act like an athlete can just "choose" which sport to be good at as if people don't have aptitude for different things - the all-encompassing "athleticism" myth.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous people act like an athlete can just "choose" which sport to be good at as if people don't have aptitude for different things - the all-encompassing "athleticism" myth.

Athleticism is both general and specific, and frequently features neural factors of which the layman is ignorant. Take something basic, such as strength which is measured by 1RM. By changing two factors - all other things being equal - you can have either a great weightlifter or great powerlifter, but not both. Someone with great motor unit recruitment, able to activate a large number of muscle fibers, is generally very strong but not necessarily explosive, so would be a good powerlifter. The same individual with a lower degree of motor unit recruitment but greater degrees of rate coding and rate of force development is far more explosive, and would be a superior weightlifter. So the powerlifter type would be a better grappler whereas the weightlifter type would be a better striker (one being more explosive and the other being slightly stronger) but please note I am discussing only those two out of a multitude of factors.

The problem when things like genetics and athleticism are discussed on the internet - and particularly the main forum here - is that people know next to nothing about what they are talking about.

Athleticism is both general and specific, and frequently features neural factors of which the layman is ignorant. Take something basic, such as strength which is measured by 1RM. By changing two factors - all other things being equal - you can have either a great weightlifter or great powerlifter, but not both. Someone with great motor unit recruitment, able to activate a large number of muscle fibers, is generally very strong but not necessarily explosive, so would be a good powerlifter. The same individual with a lower degree of motor unit recruitment but greater degrees of rate coding and rate of force development is far more explosive, and would be a superior weightlifter. So the powerlifter type would be a better grappler whereas the weightlifter type would be a better striker (one being more explosive and the other being slightly stronger) but please note I am discussing only those two out of a multitude of factors.

The problem when things like genetics and athleticism are discussed on the internet - and particularly the main forum here - is that people know next to nothing about what they are talking about.

Very interesting. With my high school biology background, I certainly can't argue one way or the other for your explanation, but it makes sense to me. I guess this would be a more technical explanation of the old "fast twitch / slow twitch" thing, eh?

I had mentioned in an earlier post wrestling is more of an short explosive spurts versus running where you maintain a steady pace. Yes, there is different ways of being athletic and genetics.

A lot of the female wrestlers come from wrestling families, and Gina Carano's father was a football player, who was also in that explosive short spurts category.

Has anyone mentioned that Loma won gold at IFMA, bring on atomweight.

Not sure what happened with Mazo, ref stopped it in the second against the tall Swede,

Posted about Loma winning the title earlier in the thread.

Mazo was "outclassed' according to the referee and he stopped it.

King Reina has an opponent for her featherweight debut

I had mentioned in an earlier post wrestling is more of an short explosive spurts versus running where you maintain a steady pace. Yes, there is different ways of being athletic and genetics.

A lot of the female wrestlers come from wrestling families, and Gina Carano's father was a football player, who was also in that explosive short spurts category.

Well, wrestling also features a strong endurance component. (both muscular and cardiovascular). One of the biggest issues with MMA is that you literally have to be good at everything, and damn few people are. There was only one Jim Thorpe.

On May 27, talented, gritty, yet inexperienced Gina Mazany and decorated striker Lina Länsberg meet at UFC Fight Night 130. This fight may not matter much when it comes to the rankings or positioning for a title run, but it is important. The women’s bantamweight division is short on recognizable names and talent in general. Let’s take a closer look at Länsberg, how her strengths and weaknesses factor in to her upcoming match-up and where her future lies in the division.

http://combatpress.com/2018/05/a-closer-look-lina-lansberg/

Grasso comments:

Googly-moogly translated that says:

"We like to talk about when we are doing well, when everything is beautiful and perfect. But I know it's also good to show that side that nobody likes, those moments that make us spend a bitter drink.
Last night I got to lose with a killer in round 1 and I almost fell asleep!
Life is like that, like a big bet, I was offered this fight and my first reaction was to tell my coaches -Of course, we have to take big challenges, because these opportunities are to prepare us as never before and face them in the best way.
2 things are safe: you win or lose, but * NEVER * STAY SEEING HOW TIME GOES BY DOING NOTHING AND NOT HAVING TRIED IT!
That's why I'm here, that's why I've come here: to compete in the elite of MMA.
I do not have any injuries, all I want is to return to the gym to train and correct my mistakes.
That's how an athlete's heart heals!
Thanks to all my team for taking care of me and supporting me in the good and not so good ones.
This only fills me with energy and forces me to be better.
I love you and I thank you all for your messages of love, it's very beautiful "
Sounds like a good attitude to me, also sounds a bit like her team were not keen on the fight but she was all wide-eyed pure-heart disney hero 'we must face the greatest challenges if we wish to prevail...' *heroic music swells*

Anybody know what hotel Invicta usually books for the fighters? I’m thinking of going to the July event, and staying there would make it easier to stalk.... um, er..... meet and greet the fighters.

Anybody know what hotel Invicta usually books for the fighters? I’m thinking of going to the July event, and staying there would make it easier to stalk.... um, er..... meet and greet the fighters.

Usually the Holiday Inn Aladdin downtown but there is several hotels nearby if you want to deal shop. Lobby is the best place to fighter watch especially post fight.

Ed Soraes stated on the MMA Hour LFA states they will had at least 1 or 2 female bouts on their card from now on.

Makes sense to me. And I'd guess people get all riled about about stuff they don't know a damn thing about.

Exactly. If it was easy everyone would do it. You need both - rare talent and rare dedication. Example: Pablo Casals, one of the great cellists (of aaaalllll tiiiiiimmme!) was visited by an interviewer. The interviewer asked him why he was still practicing scales (rudimentary, painstaking work for a musician) three hours a day, at age 70. He replied 'because I can get better.'

All the non Cyborg fans this might be some good news. If Cyborg leaves It would not bother me much. However, this raises some interesting questions. If she leaves will the UFC Keep the 145 division? Would the 145 division without Cyborg be more competitive and more interesting when the top 5 is established?

While we are talking about 145ers I saw the Bellator payouts for their last card and they did right by Amber and Janay. Both of them were on 10k/10k contracts. That is a big improvement from what debuting WMMA fighters usually are.

All the non Cyborg fans this might be some good news. If Cyborg leaves It would not bother me much. However, this raises some interesting questions. If she leaves will the UFC Keep the 145 division? Would the 145 division without Cyborg be more competitive and more interesting when the top 5 is established?

Well, it couldn't get any less competitive that's for sure. Cyborg has had such a stranglehold on the division for so long it would be very interesting to see how it would shake out without her. UFC Champ Megan Anderson has a pretty nice ring to it doesn't it? :)

Four fights happening this weekend between Bellator, LFA and UFC. In Bellator: Kate Jackson vs Anastasia Yankova. I wonder if this fight might get bumped to the main card if Bellator can't find someone to fight Roy Nelson on short notice. As of right now you can watch it on the Bellator app on their prelims (which start Saturday at 12:30 EST) or wait until someone uploads it after the fact. I like Jackson in this fight. Yankova hasn't fought in a while, and I think Jackson is good enough to beat her even without a year+ layoff.

In LFA Friday night if you get AXS TV is the pro debut of Hailey Cowan. For those not familiar with Hailey she is a former cheerleading champion and All-American on the Acrobatics/Tumbling team at Baylor University. And while writing this I just discovered she has a website if anyone wants to check it out https://allhailhaileycowan.com/ I will back off from giving predictions for a pro debut, but I will be rooting for her.

Sunday there are two fights on the UFC card in Liverpool. Gina Mazany vs Lina Lansberg which will be on the FightPass prelims and Molly Mccan vs Gillian Robertson which will be on the FS1 prelims. Remember this is a Sunday morning card so if you want to watch live the FightPass prelims begin at 10am EST and Mollys fight will probably be right around 11am EST. Mazany vs Lansberg is a tough pick for me, but my gut tells me Mazany. In the other fight, I just don't see Molly losing in her hometown. I think she wins pretty easily, maybe by stoppage.

Well, it couldn't get any less competitive that's for sure. Cyborg has had such a stranglehold on the division for so long it would be very interesting to see how it would shake out without her. UFC Champ Megan Anderson has a pretty nice ring to it doesn't it? :)

No.

Back