Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Suarez is definitely a future SW title contender. I want to see her striking improve, but her wrestling is obviously on point.

Lee/Macedo was a fun scrap. I haven't kept up with Invicta lately, but the highlights shown seemed like she doing work over there. Seemed to have good size for division, nice clinch work, solid ground game. Macedo surprised me with those head kicks, considering her size. Curious to see how womens Flyweight shapes up over the next few years.

Great performance by Botelho, I love body shots in MMA and it's rare you see that kind of stoppage finish in WMMA. Also liked the fact when she knew her opponent was hurt, she aggressively went in for the kill.

Suarez is definitely a future SW title contender. I want to see her striking improve, but her wrestling is obviously on point.

Lee/Macedo was a fun scrap. I haven't kept up with Invicta lately, but the highlights shown seemed like she doing work over there. Seemed to have good size for division, nice clinch work, solid ground game. Macedo surprised me with those head kicks, considering her size. Curious to see how womens Flyweight shapes up over the next few years.

Great performance by Botelho, I love body shots in MMA and it's rare you see that kind of stoppage finish in WMMA. Also liked the fact when she knew her opponent was hurt, she aggressively went in for the kill.

She loves a head kick.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but the UFC has cut a deal to stream 15 events a year on a new streaming service from ESPN: ESPN+. ESPN+ will also have access to the historical UFC content ("full archive of programming, including historic events, classic bouts, and original programming") . ESPN+ costs $4.99 versus $9.99 for Fight Pass. This may end up effecting Invicta FC negatively. UFC Fight Pass is staying around, but it seems like there is less incentive to pay for it now.

Suarez win and Kondo loss were the easiest fights to pick on the card. The 115ers are worried about Dern's ranking when they should really be worried about getting choked out by Suarez. I don't really like wrestlers unless they are using it to attack with subs or GnP. Needless to say that Suarez is my favorite wrestler right now. She is not interested in Lay n Pray. She is here to take you out.

Suarez reminds me of Matt Hughes, and I say that as a compliment. She's not the fastest, but she's strong as hell with very good wrestling and workable standup that lets her get to her strength. Once she gets her hands on her opponents they're going down, and like Hughes she has an underrated and very opportunistic submission game. I want to see the UFC keep her active, put her up against, Herrig, Waterson, or Torres, if she can beat 2 of them then it's time for a top 5.

Who do uze guise think Grasso should fight now? I think she deserves a softball for taking that fight, but softballs seem to be running low at 115.
IMO she needs an easy fight to regain some traction and give her another chance to show something (like she was supposed to against HJC, or Aldana was supposed to against Smith), maybe someone like Kassem (who I dislike for missing weight bigly vs Chambers) for a freebie, before a more challenging but still winnable fight (Waterson, Casey, etc... Dern?).

Who do uze guise think Grasso should fight now? I think she deserves a softball for taking that fight, but softballs seem to be running low at 115.
IMO she needs an easy fight to regain some traction and give her another chance to show something (like she was supposed to against HJC, or Aldana was supposed to against Smith), maybe someone like Kassem (who I dislike for missing weight bigly vs Chambers) for a freebie, before a more challenging but still winnable fight (Waterson, Casey, etc... Dern?).
After a quick glance at the rankings I would like to see Grasso vs Randa next. I believe they are evenly matched and will make a fun fight. If you want a little easier fight that Grasso will still need to work hard to win then I say Cortney Casey or Penne. I believe Penne is free to fight beginning in August.

After a quick glance at the rankings I would like to see Grasso vs Randa next. I believe they are evenly matched and will make a fun fight. If you want a little easier fight that Grasso will still need to work hard to win then I say Cortney Casey or Penne. I believe Penne is free to fight beginning in August.

Grasso was already coming off a win over Randa the Panda going into this fight.

some ppl suggested Grasso vs PVZ, which would be nice in that it'd finally stop the comparisons of Grasso to PVZ (some tards are now even saying PVZ is better), but sadly Paige has run away to 125 and ain't coming back... and probably isn't long for the game anyway...

Grasso was already coming off a win over Randa the Panda going into this fight.

some ppl suggested Grasso vs PVZ, which would be nice in that it'd finally stop the comparisons of Grasso to PVZ (some tards are now even saying PVZ is better), but sadly Paige has run away to 125 and ain't coming back... and probably isn't long for the game anyway...
Totally forgot about that one. It must not have been an exciting fight.

Totally forgot about that one. It must not have been an exciting fight.

I thought it was decent, probably the best UFC fight Grasso has been in to date :p

Jacobson/Fujino was pretty fun, worth watching. Tired people brawling. If Fujino wasn't a million fight years old she'd be in the UFC.

There’s always Albu & Kassem, but both are coming off wins. Syuri, is a big possibility, I think.

There’s also Maia Stevenson, ABC, & Chan Mi Jeon, if they weren’t cut.

Personally, I’m more curious to see what they do with Suarez. If they’re fast tracking her to the top of the division, a fight with Calvillo or KK would seem imminent. Although, I think her welcoming Livia Souza, is the best call right now.

Grasso really needs to switch camps. Sure chances of Suarez likely submitting her anyway were high but it sucks to see her decline like this. I know she's training under her dad but girl needs to realise it's not working and go find a camp that will help her.

Same goes for Macedo who showed some potential last night but a lot of holes in her game.

Jacobson/Fujino was pretty fun, worth watching. Tired people brawling. If Fujino wasn't a million fight years old she'd be in the UFC.
It was sluggish, but like in a good way? It was my first time seeing Fujino and I was somewhat impressed. I hope she at least gets picked up by Invicta or something. Jacobson looked pretty good too.
---
Speaking of Invicta, I found this article a while back with an interview with Amber Brown after her win over Tessa Simpson (the one with that nasty armbar). She's considering moving back up to 115 because the cut for the Simpson fight was a tough one (she came in over the limit too).

https://www.axs.com/uk/interview-mma-star-amber-brown-considering-move-up-to-strawweight-126288

I think Lobo seems like a good gym to me, though it can't hurt to mix it up a bit.
I don't think the outcome would have been any different if she'd done a camp for that fight somewhere else, though . It takes many years to overcome that kind of skill (if ever).

Maybe she could try training with her Mexican Wrestling Twin as suggested earlier, or there's always Coach Xuh's Tackle and Grapple clinics, I mean, think about it is all I'm sayin', Alexa (and Irene, and Karina...)

Perhaps Irene/Betch will tell us a little more about how Lobo shape up in the UFC (...or maybe it will just paper of the cracks and prevent a much needed change if Irene blows away the less powerful less athletic Betch? mind you, I thought she'd do that to Leslie Smith...)

Grasso really needs to switch camps. Sure chances of Suarez likely submitting her anyway were high but it sucks to see her decline like this. I know she's training under her dad but girl needs to realise it's not working and go find a camp that will help her.

Same goes for Macedo who showed some potential last night but a lot of holes in her game.

But Larisa.! She's been training with your homegurl.

As I understand it, Macedo is a kind of stateless, moneyless, refugee type person who can't remain too long in one place, which makes it pretty hard to settle at a camp. She's currently fighting out of France with Ngannou & co. Was fighting out of Poland last time IIRC.

That sucks for her, I hope things can settle for her once and for all because moving around a lot doesn't really help as you have to constantly adapt to coaching changes and a change in atmosphere. :( I think training aside Ngannou and Zouak could help, especially with her wrestling.

I personally think Aldana is a better fighter than Bethe ever was, but I said the same about Smith and we saw how that fight turned out. Hopefully the win over Bernardo gave Irene some newly found confidence because I love her style.

It was sluggish, but like in a good way?

Shogun was my favorite fighter. Sluggish brawling is the optimal setting!

-------------------------------------

Thought Grasso did everything right. She's physically strong in the clinch, fought as best she could there, and didn't settle at all with her back to the mat. As Xuh mentions, I don't think a camp switch wouldn't have shored up the grappling disparity for Grasso.

Also not off the Syuri bandwagon yet. Maybe if she had been dominated for 15, but getting blasted early isn't that damning. She does have a lot of miles on her, but not sure she's in a Matt Brown/Deana Bennett situation where she just can't take hits to the body. We'll see.

Last edited:
There’s always Albu & Kassem, but both are coming off wins. Syuri, is a big possibility, I think.

There’s also Maia Stevenson, ABC, & Chan Mi Jeon, if they weren’t cut.

Personally, I’m more curious to see what they do with Suarez. If they’re fast tracking her to the top of the division, a fight with Calvillo or KK would seem imminent. Although, I think her welcoming Livia Souza, is the best call right now.

How long is Calvillo's bullshit suspension for?

Agree on both counts. Both have far more potential than they have skill. Particularly Macedo and her non-existent clinch defense. Plus she needs to fight at 115.

Back