Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I am surprised and happy that Nina beat Angela Hill. She seems to finally be getting comfortable at 115. I remember she used to seem really good at 125 and I have not really seen her fight like that at 115.

I was looking forward to seeing Nina Ansaroff vs.Angela Hill. That fight delivered.

I remember thinking it was odd to see so many people having Hill as the favorite, looking at the Tapology cards. When I was thinking about that fight I'd felt is was probably okay to see (people thinking - i.e., understanding where people are coming from) Hill as the favorite as she is fast with her movement and hands but I felt Ansaroff could pull off a win too. Ansaroff hits hard and is the bigger fighter and she gets better as fights progress; I remember her setting up nice combinations and footwork traps against previous opponents.

The big question was whether Ansaroff would be able to keep a high pace at 115lbs. She has been working on rebuilding her body, not as bulky as she used to be, to be able fight better at 115lbs and it paid off in this fight.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:
I was looking forward to seeing Nina Ansaroff vs.Angela Hill. That fight delivered.

I remember thinking it was odd to see so many people having Hill as the favorite, looking at the Tapology cards. When I was thinking about that fight I'd felt is was probably okay to see Hill as the favorite as she is fast with her movement and hands but I felt Ansaroff could pull off a win too. Ansaroff hits hard and is the bigger fighter and she gets better as fights progress; I remember her setting up nice combinations and footwork traps against previous opponents.

The big question was whether Ansaroff would be able to keep a high pace at 115lbs. She has been working on rebuilding her body, not as bulky as she used to be, to be able fight better at 115lbs and it paid off in this fight.

Well, people were, for some reason, impressed with Hill's fight with Andrade. Most notably Hill herself. However, really all she had going for her that fight was the ability to absorb punishment. Andrade does not have much in the way of footwork but still cut the cage off and forced her way into striking range constantly. I still have yet to see anything impressive about Angela. She is reasonably athletic and has decent striking, but her overall skillset is still very lacking.

Well, people were, for some reason, impressed with Hill's fight with Andrade. Most notably Hill herself. However, really all she had going for her that fight was the ability to absorb punishment. Andrade does not have much in the way of footwork but still cut the cage off and forced her way into striking range constantly. I still have yet to see anything impressive about Angela. She is reasonably athletic and has decent striking, but her overall skillset is still very lacking.

I was thinking about that fight with Andrade perhaps contributing to people viewing Hill favorably. Hill is interesting but I don't view her as a great fighter, just a decent one so far, but with some, comparatively speaking, good athleticism. She is still developing and it shows but I give her credit for the improvements shown since TUF.

Her fight with Livia Renata Souza was a close one too.

I was thinking about that fight with Andrade perhaps contributing to people viewing Hill favorably. Hill is interesting but I don't view her as a great fighter, just a decent one so far, but with some, comparatively speaking, good athleticism. She is still developing and it shows but I give her credit for the improvements shown since TUF.

Her fight with Livia Renata Souza was a close one too.

Oh I agree she has gotten better. She was incredibly raw on TUF. Will be interesting to see how she progresses.

Very happy that Hill lost to Nina, she is annoying and won't stop complaining for really no reasons, she is average technical striker who struggles with fighters that can put some pressure and hit back. And yeah i agree that Suarez is one of the best wrestlers at WMMA today, i just hope she doesn't gets inactive again.

23472795_1467835259938221_8255361607065593834_n.jpg

Hayley Turner (1-0) won her pro debut last night by TKO in the 1st round over Chrissie Daniels (2-4). She dominated the fight with some vicious ground and pound from what I heard. WXC 70 is going to be on Fight Pass at 6 PM tonight according to the promotion so you should check it out if you have Fight Pass.

Excellent analysis here that helps explain why going in to the fight I had in my mind overrated Hill and underrated Nina Ansaroff. I had overrated Hill's performance versus Andrade. Looking back, she did absord a lot but really didn't do much to win. Very impressed with Nina's performance. She hits a lot harder than I'd previously known. I'm now aboard the Ansaroff train. Choo choo.

So glad Tatiana Suarez is back. She's been through so much. Hope she can stay healthy. I love her grappling style & as someone else mentioned I'd rather see strong grappling than (as we often see) mediocre kickboxing. Let's not forget also that Sucuri while tiny is a hell of a competitor. Can't wait to see who Suarez is matched up with next. I'd prefer that she go slow and build up some wins against competitors who are maybe just out of top ten. Too many fighters I think get rushed against top competitors too soon. Why not build up a nice solid career that lasts over time.

Valentina is the rightful person to fight the winner of TUF. Though I wish her well, PVZ shouldn't even be in that conversation, imho.

Hill against Andrade was a punching bag, just like Lineker x Font/Vera, she stayed at defensive trying to survive the whole fight.

Viviane is a 105er fighting at WSW, maybe one day if UFC opens a 105 weight class she'll be more competitive.

Valentina needs a win before fighting the winner of TUF, enough of that bullshit of giving fighters a titleshot coming of a loss..

I really think Tatiana Suarez has what it takes to be champion in the future. Once her fight was announced I knew it should be an easy win. Before I go all in on Tatiana I need to see how she deals with an opponent that can stop her takedowns. Seeing how she handles that will give us an indead of just how far she can go.

I am surprised and happy that Nina beat Angela Hill. She seems to finally be getting comfortable at 115. I remember she used to seem really good at 125 and I have not really seen her fight like that at 115.

Where does Suarez train? if she's got a decent coach, then she can go far in the division, but unfortunately it seems like most girls don't have good coaches.

I picked Nina to beat Hill—she basically fights the same way as Hill, but slightly better. I'm looking forward to her hopefully staying more active.

Where does Suarez train? if she's got a decent coach, then she can go far in the division, but unfortunately it seems like most girls don't have good coaches.

I picked Nina to beat Hill—she basically fights the same way as Hill, but slightly better. I'm looking forward to her hopefully staying more active.

Interesting. I thought the female ufc fighters had mostly the same trainers as the guys. I guess obviously top trainers with amazing reputations are more expensive, but it doesn't seem like well paid means a good trainer either. Cough Edmond...I guess he kinda illustrates what you suggested as well. Lol.

i watched ansaroffs fight, was hoping she would throw more combos, but pleased she won.
suarez is great on the ground, but that standup .....<6>

Interesting. I thought the female ufc fighters had mostly the same trainers as the guys. I guess obviously top trainers with amazing reputations are more expensive, but it doesn't seem like well paid means a good trainer either. Cough Edmond...I guess he kinda illustrates what you suggested as well. Lol.

I'm not saying that all of these lesser known gyms are bad, I'm just saying I feel better about a wmma fighter when I see that she's from an established MMA gym with established fighters. I picked Rose to beat Joanna, and I'll tell you why: she's one of the few girls that come from a legit gym and coach. Fortunately, more and more girls are coming from good gyms—ATT in particular has become a WMMA powerhouse, Rose has one of my favorite striking coaches in the game, so the trend is changing. That's good.

That said, the results that a fighter show in the octagon are the most important, so hopefully we keep seeing improvement from Suarez.

i watched ansaroffs fight, was hoping she would throw more combos, but pleased she won.
suarez is great on the ground, but that standup <6>.....

Which is exactly why I'm interested in where she's training. I'm hoping that she's with a coach who has produced some decent fighters in the past.

Congrats to Marloes Coenen & Roemer Trompert on
there pending childbirth and many wonderful years
that kids can bring.

Back