Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Wait, when did you get back?? You were MIA for the longest time :eek:

Hey. Yep. I have been back for two and a half months or so. I kept going on extended trips and having a very difficult time even using Sherdog's forums that I just never got back into posting for a few years but with TUF 26 I decided I would try and use Sherdog again and I finally managed to get the forum working for me again.

There seemed to be an endless variety of problems. Getting signed out right after signing in. Forum not excepting my PW, reset, reject, reset, etc. Very slow loading of pages. Ads everywhere. Even when I could manage to get into my account it was slow as hell just doing anything. Combined with lots of trips and several of them lasting two to three times longer then I expected it just left me not sticking with forum going. Even when I came back this last time I had a few problems for the first two weeks but I trouble shot the issues and am having an easy time typing and posting again.

Good to be back and thanks for remembering me.

I'll be off on another trip next week. Probably be gone for two and a half weeks or so. I might be able to swing some posting as I won't be out in the middle of nowhere with little internet access this time around. It is more of a vacation then a working trip but I want to spend more time with family/friends and seeing stuff then goofing off on the internet.

Last edited:
I wonder if Vanzant's thinking was "there's nobody at 125, I should move up and be a bigger cheese". "Nobody in that division" is going to go away fast. She should remain at 115. But after being challenged by the former 135 lb title challenger at 125, she may now agree with that.

I wonder if Vanzant's thinking was "there's nobody at 125, I should move up and be a bigger cheese". "Nobody in that division" is going to go away fast. She should remain at 115. But after being challenged by the former 135 lb title challenger at 125, she may now agree with that.
I’m assuming she’s moving up because she had trouble with the weight cut; I think she nearly passed out before a few of her fights from the cuts

I’m assuming she’s moving up because she had trouble with the weight cut; I think she nearly passed out before a few of her fights from the cuts

I believe she did pass out at some point. At least, that's what she reported at one point. Perhaps it was much like the time she "went out" when Waterson had her in a RNC (still seems suspicious the way she instantly came to.)

Anyway, I don't think PVZ is delusional in thinking that 125 is easy pickings. She likely just wants to get the ball rolling on something to stay active and relevant. Her DWTS money is probably long gone. Still wishing she would've been booked to fight Jessica Eye. Regardless of PVZ's skills or capabilities, she probably would've made Eye fight for her damned job.

Ran over Sucuri. 15 minutes floating around on top control. Couldn't get a finish, but dominant.

Was Sucuri's defense/flexibility on point? Or, is Suarez's BJJ/GnP in need of work? Before Namajunas blew everything up, I was thinking it might be up to Suarez to crack Jedrzejczyk's TDD and knock her from the throne.

Ran over Sucuri. 15 minutes floating around on top control. Couldn't get a finish, but dominant.

For her hype (before she vanished for the longest of time) not getting a finish and "15 minutes floating around on top control" sounds hardly dominant. One could (without seeing) even go as far to suggest words that start with L and P. And if one is nice about it one will just say "wrestling".

Vanzant did have to resort to the "let me get rid of 0.x pounds of bikini" tactic once:

paige-van-zant-guns-ufc-on-fox-22-official-weigh-ins.jpg

But if she is a big 115 pounder, it seems like it is in the torso. She doesn't have long or real muscular arms. She should try wrestling syle takedowns instead of the headlock kind she does.

Felice-Herrig-vs-Paige-VanZant-weigh.jpg

27AEEEBB00000578-3043391-image-a-2_1429353274756.jpg

Last edited:
Vanzant did have to resort to the "let me get rid of 0.x pounds of bikini" tactic once:

But if she is a big 115 pounder, it seems like it is in the torso. She doesn't have long or real muscular arms. She should try wrestling syle takedowns instead of the headlock kind she does.

She does carry a higher bodyfat percentage that some of her opponents, and this percentage has climbed since she started in the UFC (at weight in). Sure, it makes her more, uh, marketable, but in this case the difficult is entirely her own.

Least it's pretty much confirmed that Bullet's next fight is at 125. VanZant ain't getting near a title shot until she puts together a line of wins or at least fights once before. The Eye fight is the best opportunity for her to make whatever statement she wants to make (is the Eye fight rebooked or are they looking at other options?).

Anyway, good wins for Suarez and Ansaroff. Wouldn't be surprised if they fight each other next however I'd personally pitch Suarez against a fighter just out of the T10 now (maybe Moroz?). Wouldn't mind seeing Ansaroff vs. Aldrich or Kondo either.

Also Hill vs. Ansaroff was one hell of a fight, especially towards the end of round 3, really enjoyed watching that one.

Last edited:
Was Sucuri's defense/flexibility on point? Or, is Suarez's BJJ/GnP in need of work? Before Namajunas blew everything up, I was thinking it might be up to Suarez to crack Jedrzejczyk's TDD and knock her from the throne.

Sucuri was just too strong/squirmy. Suarez could improve her gnp for sure though, she was waiting to have a solid position before throwing, and she couldn't keep it for extended periods. All wrestler types should watch a lot of Cain Velasquez fights for how to f*ck someone up in transition between positions.

For her hype (before she vanished for the longest of time) not getting a finish and "15 minutes floating around on top control" sounds hardly dominant. One could (without seeing) even go as far to suggest words that start with L and P. And if one is nice about it one will just say "wrestling".

To me, lay n pray would suggest a fighter stalling in guard/halfguard/side control. That's not what was happening in this fight at all.

Suarez might get splattered with her still awkward standup, but her top control is awesome. If you see me describe a fighter's top game as "floating", I was a sub or bloody face away from saying "magical". I like grappling though, I would very much prefer to watch grapplers grapple than have a bad kickboxing match.

Last edited:
OK, I think I finally found out who Amanda Serrano signed with. I believe she will be announcing she has signed with Combate Americas this weekend.

It seems like they are delaying the announcement for some reason but this caption pretty much confirms Amanda Serrano will be fighting for Combate. This should be interesting because I don't know how Combate handles potential prospects.

I really think Tatiana Suarez has what it takes to be champion in the future. Once her fight was announced I knew it should be an easy win. Before I go all in on Tatiana I need to see how she deals with an opponent that can stop her takedowns. Seeing how she handles that will give us an indead of just how far she can go.

I am surprised and happy that Nina beat Angela Hill. She seems to finally be getting comfortable at 115. I remember she used to seem really good at 125 and I have not really seen her fight like that at 115.

I really think Tatiana Suarez has what it takes to be champion in the future. Once her fight was announced I knew it should be an easy win. Before I go all in on Tatiana I need to see how she deals with an opponent that can stop her takedowns. Seeing how she handles that will give us an indead of just how far she can go.

I am surprised and happy that Nina beat Angela Hill. She seems to finally be getting comfortable at 115. I remember she used to seem really good at 125 and I have not really seen her fight like that at 115.

I am also happy that Nina won. Not sure how Suarez will handle an opponent she cannot take down. Her stand up, well, needs a certain amount of work.

The sky is the limit for Tatiana I think. She's easily the 1st or 2nd best wrestler in all of WMMA already. I don't think she's gonna find people who are able to stop her takedowns until she reaches the top 5. Personally, I would like to see her take on Livia Souza in the latters debut. We know she can grind out a striker, but Livia would push her standing and on the ground.

There was a massive size difference between Viviane "Sucuri' Pereira and Tatiana Suarez. Aside from the 4 inch height difference there was just bulk and reach, about 3 inches in the arms. Pereira had a hard time closing the gap to mount offense without it leading to either a takedown or a clinch to takedown situation. Pereira fought the takedowns okay but between the size and technique difference between the two Suarez managed to hit all of her takedowns.

(Edit) I am recalling Pereira going for a few guillotines too. She caught Suarez in one that was really tight but Suarez eventually worked herself out of it. The other times those submission attempts did not work out well and contributed to easier takedowns for Suarez, particularly those instances where Pereira had scrambled to her feet after having been taken down. Pereira probably would have been better off just focusing on defending those takedown attempts.

Untitled-1-159-388x220.jpg

Pereira worked offense off her back from hitting from the bottom to attempts at submissions but they were fairly fruitless overall. Lots of escape attempts. Suarez just had superior positioning and was able to mount good ground and pound at times. She also managed to setup some submission attempts but Pereira managed to workout of those situations. I think it was the last round at the end of the fight when Suarez managed to setup a good armbar but time ran out before that submission attempt could play itself out.

DOZhKh7U8AA5l4Y-298x190.jpg

While Suarez has lots of potential she is saying she wants to take her time progressing. I'd like to see her fight someone more her size next time out.

Last edited:
Back