Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Thoughts? I'm not sure how i feel about it, i think i'd prefer to see them headlining a UFN card, making it 5 rounds as i think most T/E should be.

:)

All negative. When you have to cheat to beat up smaller women, that says everything about not only your character, but your confidence in your abilities.

I can understand the criticisms. Interesting to note there's heated discussion about men's lists too.

Thoughts? I'm not sure how i feel about it, i think i'd prefer to see them headlining a UFN card, making it 5 rounds as i think most T/E should be.

I'd like to see it. Not sure how long it may take Vieira's rib injury to heal.

I'd like to see it. Not sure how long it may take Vieira's rib injury to heal.
UFC 224 seems unlikely and very inappropriated, considering is a title eliminator. Should be in 3 or 4 months and headlining a card, maybe a UFN in Brazil.

Very skewed towards bantamweight. Cyborg is laughable. So is Shevchenko and, unfortunately, Holm at this point.
Although I generally prefer Women's fights at 125 & 135.. if we are talking GOAT, and P4P stuff (which I think is idiotic anyway) it's asinine to ignore that women at 115 pounds and under have always been more skilled fighters, they just didn't have the spotlight bigger women did.

:)

All negative. When you have to cheat to beat up smaller women, that says everything about not only your character, but your confidence in your abilities.
I always have assumed Cyborg isn't the brightest bulb in the box, and that her confidence and character is molded by those closest to her. Ray Elbe could tell her about anything and she'd believe it.

She often complains about the lack of a division for herself, but I believe she is partially responsible for stunting its growth at times.

I always have assumed Cyborg isn't the brightest bulb in the box, and that her confidence and character is molded by those closest to her. Ray Elbe could tell her about anything and she'd believe it.

She often complains about the lack of a division for herself, but I believe she is partially responsible for stunting its growth at times.

Cyborg destroyed any hope for a decent 145lb division way back in Strikeforce.

1. She beat Carano. Carano was the face of the division, and brought attention to it.
2. Got busted for roids (which everyone already suspected of her) a few fights later. Literally killed the division in Strikeforce, as Coker dumped it after, because why bother? That was the only time any promoter gave a crap about women that big, and even when Invicta tried, it was still a joke, and still is. Coker has tried, but you can't make people watch something that bad.

Although I generally prefer Women's fights at 125 & 135.. if we are talking GOAT, and P4P stuff (which I think is idiotic anyway) it's asinine to ignore that women at 115 pounds and under have always been more skilled fighters, they just didn't have the spotlight bigger women did.

If you look even now there are just not that many 145 lbs. fighters. I am too lazy to read for myself right now, but I bet still quite a few of the top 15 have fights at 135, which means they are small for the division.

I know that other than Felicia Spencer Invicta has not
sunk a lot of time in to the featherweight division as of
recent.

I know that other than Felicia Spencer Invicta has not
sunk a lot of time in to the featherweight division as of
recent.
In their defense, no one in their division is really active besides spencer and Sorensen. The latter seems to be focused on getting to 135 too. Spencer might as well too!

If you look even now there are just not that many 145 lbs. fighters. I am too lazy to read for myself right now, but I bet still quite a few of the top 15 have fights at 135, which means they are small for the division.
If you go by tapology, 6 out of 15 have fights at 135.
4.Holly holm - obviously has fought at 135, however has said she wants to stay at 145
5. Germaine De Randamie
9. Arlene Blencowe- Tiny for the division. Only fights at 145 because Bellator doesn’t have 135
10; Gabrielle Holloway- hasn’t made 135 since she was an Amateur, but is 5’3 and made 130 for an ammy fight onc
12; Ediane Gomes- has fought at 135 twice. She lost both times and then went back up.
13.Daria Imbragimova- has fought at 135 once. Was signed to invicta at 135 before being offered to fight cyborg

At 1st I thought she was crazy talking title eliminator. Her win over McMann was her 1st win over a top 10 opponent. Then I looked at the rankings and those 2 are literally the only people can can even be considered for a title eliminator. It is alarming how much 135 needs new fighters.

After these two the next most qualified for a title eliminator is Julianna Pena then Leslie Smith. Julianna has not fought since Jan 2017(She lost) and is currently out indefinitely due to having a baby. Leslie Smith has a 10-7 record and has not even sniffed a top 10 opponent yet. I knew 135 was bad but I did not expect it to be this bad. No wonder the UFC waited for Raquel to heal from her broken leg and still gave her the title shot. I really really hope Aspen Ladd beats Leslie Smith impressively. This division really needs a hyped prospect badly.

Last edited:
If you go by tapology, 6 out of 15 have fights at 135.
4.Holly holm - obviously has fought at 135, however has said she wants to stay at 145
5. Germaine De Randamie
9. Arlene Blencowe- Tiny for the division. Only fights at 145 because Bellator doesn’t have 135
10; Gabrielle Holloway- hasn’t made 135 since she was an Amateur, but is 5’3 and made 130 for an ammy fight onc
12; Ediane Gomes- has fought at 135 twice. She lost both times and then went back up.
13.Daria Imbragimova- has fought at 135 once. Was signed to invicta at 135 before being offered to fight cyborg

Thanks. Speaks volumes about the division when more than 1/3 of the top 15 can fight down a weight class. Blencowe just utterly lacks discipline.

The only way I see a stable 145 division is if the athletic commissions cap dehydration at 5% or less and have fighters competing closer to their lean weight. That or a few really attractive and talented 160-165 lb women come out of nowhere and make millions.

Shanghai event isset for May 26th. No word on opponent, yet.

Ana Julaton retires from combat sports:

Interesting opinion piece... some valid points were made, but outside of 5 round main events, the author didn't suggest an alternative to eliminating title fights.

mma-today.com/time-right-shannon-knapp-away-invicta-fc-titles

The article boils down to "without historical lineage title belts are only ever promotional tools." I'd say the reality is - given half a pound here and a 3 round fight there - the lineal Invicta champ is the current UFC beltholder ....... with the exception of atom of course:

Cyborg
Murphy - McMann - Tate - Nunes
Honchak - Nicco
Esparza - Joanna - Rose

So lineal Invicta champs has never been a thing and being a promotional tool is just fine. Sure the belt is just going to be a passport to the UFC except now we're seeing two way traffic with girls who haven't cut it being relegated back to Invicta. Who knows, we might get a situation where Dudieva or Bennett end up Invicta champ and the UFC say no thanks and we get a little continuity.

Back