Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Hill fought with patience & confidence. Landed the significant strikes. Moroz swung & missed a lot, agree she must improve her fight strategy. Maybe in Invicta?

Great comeback for Reneau. Her PE students must be happy. Lots of heart & listened well to her corner. I knew she's a good striker but hadn't known her ground game is so strong. McMann's got to pace herself better. Strong round 1, susceptible to triangle submission late round 2.

Andrade keeps improving as a smarter athlete. Conserved energy. Cut off angles. Utilized her power & strength wisely. Those rag doll take downs are insane. If anyone gained respect in defeat tonight it was Torres. Good game plan, great conditioning, strong heart. She did everything she could do, no shame in Tecia's game.

Enjoyed all the fights and the respect the fighters showed toward each other.

Bad news for Nicco...gotta think Valentina is getting the shot now

Valentina deserves it. Nicco's game (not saying she'll win). Hope she doesn't fight until her foot is fully healed. They both seem the type that want their opponent at 100%. Interesting Murphy turned down a Valentina fight and Eubanks remains a question as to whether she can make weight & stay healthy.

McMann isn't tough enough for top level MMA, she gave up every time when there is adversity.

Torres vs Andrade

Size matters. Other than JJ, perhaps Suarez is the only fighter who has a chance against Andrade at 115.

Super Fight League fights from Friday and Saturday - awaiting Sunday's

There were many comments today by Sherdoggers about the back acne of Tecia Torres. This triggered my memory regarding a comment about it made by Carla Esparza on social media (directed at Tecia) when TUF 20 was airing:

Did I say "Yea bc she was totally on roids before and now that she had to be clean for the house, her performance suffered!"?? Nope! Tecia what's sad is, in a way I defended you saying that if you don't know for sure without a doubt, you can't accuse someone. You wanna hear what OTHER people were saying?!? "Oh, that's why she has that mustache and facial hair bc of all the steroids she's done." "Hmm looks like her back acne is clearing up now that she's forced to be clean." "She eat like absolute crap, yet still keeps her build." "Funny how she goes undefeated, but now that she doesn't have her steroids, she loses." Tecia, I'm not saying I agree with those statements, and I wasn't going out of my way to bad mouth you!! That's just what was said, ok!!?

Tecia Torres and Carla Esparza have bitter exchange regarding PED usage
Following the debut episode of The Ultimate Fighter Season 20, Tecia Torres took to Instagram to deny PED usage, while simultaneously taking jabs at Carla Esparza. (TUF 20 Episode 1 spoilers included)
By Karim Zidan@ZidanSports Sep 12, 2014

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/...-have-bitter-exchange-regarding-peds-mma-news

Andrade keeps improving as a smarter athlete. Conserved energy. Cut off angles. Utilized her power & strength wisely. Those rag doll take downs are insane.

Unfortunately insane enough to con the judges into giving her round that she did not win. Takedowns for the sake of takedowns and not doing anything with them should not win rounds, no matter how cool they look (and I am pretty torn on the issue, cause I would have liked to cheer for the takedowns cause they were cool - but I also knew after the second round ended, that the judges were going to undeservedly give her the round.) Was surprised the 1st round was given to Torres, to be honest. Was 100% expecting the judges to award the takedownist all three rounds.

Size matters. Other than JJ, perhaps Suarez is the only fighter who has a chance against Andrade at 115.

Andrade can be forced into takedown mode, which most of her opponents have managed to do at 115. So finishing her on the feet before she starts spamming the takedowns is something a good striker should have a chance of doing - given the power of 115ers, a cut is the most likely way, though, but still =)

Last edited:
Congrats to Meatball Molly on getting the Cage Warrior's Women's Flyweight Title today.
it was a bit of a mismatch, i said recently she is gonna have to go farther afield to get a step up in competition, still, a wins a win <Moves>

it was a bit of a mismatch, i said recently she is gonna have to go farther afield to get a step up in competition, still, a wins a win <Moves>

Yep. We were posting together along these lines together a few weeks ago.

fighting moroz must be like punching a yappy yorkshire terrier, never seen someone punch air as much as moroz

Moroz was a boxing coach? I guess something got lost in translation. I was impressed with Tecia's gameness but she was too short for the Joanna strategy; oh and I love everything about Reneau, except maybe the friendship with Cyborg.

No bonuses for the women, not even Marion, really? Looking forward to next weekend's fights: Yoder, Zingano, Lipski, Warhorse Williams .... I think I've forgotten one ... that's it Kelly Kobold.

fighting moroz must be like punching a yappy yorkshire terrier, never seen someone punch air as much as moroz

Moroz has a big reach advantage against most of the fighters she fights, a fact that she emphasizes at face-offs by holding her arm straight out toward her opponent. I imagine that she is being told by her coaches to fight at a distance, and to keep her opponent at distance, and this leads to a lot of strikes that never land.

I'm reminded that when Tarverdyan had Jessamyn Duke try to take advantage of her reach and become a distance fighter Duke's MMA career went downhill fast.

Unfortunately insane enough to con the judges into giving her round that she did not win. Takedowns for the sake of takedowns and not doing anything with them should not win rounds, no matter how cool they look (and I am pretty torn on the issue, cause I would have liked to cheer for the takedowns cause they were cool - but I also knew after the second round ended, that the judges were going to undeservedly give her the round.) Was surprised the 1st round was given to Torres, to be honest. Was 100% expecting the judges to award the takedownist all three rounds.
i thought torres won the first round easily, if she wasnt fighting a physical freak who is unnaturally strong and stuck to the first round strategy she could have taken it.
once andrade grabbed ahold of her though, she was only gonna end up on the canvas.
also LOL at perry losing again.

Moroz to Invicta please and thank you, that was not a good showing for her. I can't at people thinking she was gonna be "the one" to beat Joanna after she tapped JoJo. Glad Angie won, hopefully she can put together a streak of wins and break into the rankings (I definitely think she could play gatekeeper into top ten or be at the bottom end of top ten working her way up the ranks). Would like to see her vs. Randa Markos or Alexa Grasso, either could be a fun fight to watch IMO.

Sooooo happy for Marion! :D McMann has now lost two fights in a row where she was dominant in the first round and then got submitted by her opponent in the second... that's gotta be a first, right? Kinda sucked seeing her reaction after she got tapped, hope she comes back strong next time round. Surely this puts Reneau in the mix, I'd give her the Zingano vs. Vieira winner in a title eliminator. The division is shallow on contenders and I feel like Marion, Ketlen or Cat could be a win away from a title shot. (I get Cat is coming off a two fight losing skid but they could sell it I guess, especially if Nunes retains against Pennington).

Andrade is pretty much number one contender. If Rose wins then I see them making this fight. Very good fight between her and Tecia. I still think we'll see Torres fight for the belt someday, hopefully she rebounds from this.

Moroz to Invicta please and thank you, that was not a good showing for her. I can't at people thinking she was gonna be "the one" to beat Joanna after she tapped JoJo. Glad Angie won, hopefully she can put together a streak of wins and break into the rankings (I definitely think she could play gatekeeper into top ten or be at the bottom end of top ten working her way up the ranks). Would like to see her vs. Randa Markos or Alexa Grasso, either could be a fun fight to watch IMO.

Sooooo happy for Marion! :D McMann has now lost two fights in a row where she was dominant in the first round and then got submitted by her opponent in the second... that's gotta be a first, right? Kinda sucked seeing her reaction after she got tapped, hope she comes back strong next time round. Surely this puts Reneau in the mix, I'd give her the Zingano vs. Vieira winner in a title eliminator. The division is shallow on contenders and I feel like Marion, Ketlen or Cat could be a win away from a title shot. (I get Cat is coming off a two fight losing skid but they could sell it I guess, especially if Nunes retains against Pennington).

Andrade is pretty much number one contender. If Rose wins then I see them making this fight. Very good fight between her and Tecia. I still think we'll see Torres fight for the belt someday, hopefully she rebounds from this.
people opposed to the Calderwood hype train way back then wouldn't hear any ''excuse'' about Jojo's personal issues, i'm not saying she was a genuine contender, but back then she probably was, but Moroz was nothing more than a late replacement, she just got lucky, she's always been bang average.

The division is shallow on contenders

Aspen Ladd is one of the few fighters in the division that I care about. Hopefully she will defeat Leslie Smith and continue her ascent toward the top.

This triggered my memory regarding a comment about it made by Carla Esparza on social media (directed at Tecia) when TUF 20 was airing

Blimey, as if I needed reminding that I have a very low opinion on Esparza.

Blimey, as if I needed reminding that I have a very low opinion on Esparza.

Yeah, no kidding. Passive aggressive bullshit makes me want to puke. Followed by "I don't want to make excuses, but . . . " then makes a shitload of excuses. At least own the shit that is coming out of your damn mouth.

As I remember it, against Calderwood Moroz charged her while punching and backed her up against the cage. She didn't stay on the outside and try and use her length. And she made quick work of Calderwood. It didn't appear like a lucky win. I think that people thought the fluke win was Namajunas over Calderwood on TUF. So since Calderwood was 9-0 in official fights and considered a top strawweight (say top 3), it was reasonable to assume at the time that Moroz was a top strawweight. Moroz got over-rated because Calderwood was over-rated.

Back