Official Women's Division Discussion #25

So I just saw a clip of Yana Kunitskaya's training that someone else posted.
Dear god, someone needs to club the Jackson-Wink coaches in the head until they start teaching fundamentals. Nearly all the punches are arm punches, she doesn't pivot or turn over her hip on her kicks, the kicks are going wide and she's essentially lifting her leg into the kick. This is not going to end well, Cyborg's gonna walk right through those strikes like nothing and kill her dead.

Yep. Pretty much why any woman with good striking, you know, the 2-3 of them in the UFC, learned it outside of MMA.

Yep. Pretty much why any woman with good striking, you know, the 2-3 of them in the UFC, learned it outside of MMA.

I don't know. If we look at Nunes, Pennington, and Namajunas for instance, they all started MMA with pretty questionable technique yet they've all made significant improvements in their striking and now have decent fundamentals & technique. Nunes was a wild sloppy brawler when she started but the ATT coaches have turned her into a pretty crisp technical striker. Rose used to get her feet crossed up all the time and she'd practically trip over herself trying to throw combos, these days she has a good stance & balance and the fundamentals are all there. Pennington's improvement hasn't been as dramatic but she's steadily progressed and now has a nice crisp jab and good footwork.

While they're not on the same level as Joanna, de Randamie, and Shevchenko, they've all gone from average/poor to well above average for their divisions. IMO striking is definitely something which can be taught, you might not get the women to world class levels but solid fundamentals should be in reach for most. I guess this is why Jackson-Wink gym hurts my head so much, it's like they don't even try to teach fundamentals and it's not like they can't afford good coaches.

TFC 17 result: Ji-Yeon Seo defeats Hyun-Ji Jang via unanimous decision. Seo improves to 4-2, while Jang, a very late replacement, drops to 0-1. This was Seo's 6th fight in 13 months, and she still a 17 yr old high school student!

I don't know. If we look at Nunes, Pennington, and Namajunas for instance, they all started MMA with pretty questionable technique yet they've all made significant improvements in their striking and now have decent fundamentals & technique. Nunes was a wild sloppy brawler when she started but the ATT coaches have turned her into a pretty crisp technical striker. Rose used to get her feet crossed up all the time and she'd practically trip over herself trying to throw combos, these days she has a good stance & balance and the fundamentals are all there. Pennington's improvement hasn't been as dramatic but she's steadily progressed and now has a nice crisp jab and good footwork.

While they're not on the same level as Joanna, de Randamie, and Shevchenko, they've all gone from average/poor to well above average for their divisions. IMO striking is definitely something which can be taught, you might not get the women to world class levels but solid fundamentals should be in reach for most. I guess this is why Jackson-Wink gym hurts my head so much, it's like they don't even try to teach fundamentals and it's not like they can't afford good coaches.

Ok, I was a bit too harsh. But yeah, J-Wink pretty much sucks an entire room full of dick when it comes to teaching fundamentals.

I’m assuming you mean Shevchenko Joanna and De Randamie when you say 2-3 of them in the ufc?

Congrats to Meatball Molly on getting the Cage Warrior's Women's Flyweight Title today.

Lauren Murphy vs. Sijara Eubanks added to UFC Utica, New York (June 1st)

Cindy Dandois beat Hatice Ozyurt by triangle choke 1:25 into the second round

Last edited:
I was going to say that there must be more but come to think of it that might be it lol. What’s your opinion on Alexa Grasso and Irene Aldana’s striking?

Well, reasonably decent offensive boxing from a technical standpoint, but Grasso lacks head movement, Aldan's is fine if she is not pressured too hard. Neither sits down enough on a punch (Shevchenko has this issue as well). In Val's case, from having seen 30+ fights, it is purely stylistic as she prefers to move and counter. Grasso and Aldana have not yet (I do think they can) developed enough of a striking arsenal to get away with this, which is why they so often appear to be simply sparring, instead of fighting. It will be interesting to see how they develop, and how Val does against a decent opponent her own size. While I would favor Val over anyone at 125, Nicco is tough as hell, Maia is very good and Sarge is just a shit load bigger than I think anybody at 125. So all present interesting challenges for her. I would also like to see her rematch Carmouche.

Grasso, IMO, also has the McMann issue. She is just too damn nice. Needs to get more aggressive. Do you have any idea what either Grasso's or Aldana's walk around weights are? I confess to being clueless here.

Congrats to Meatball Molly on getting the Cage Warrior's Women's Flyweight Title today.

War Meatball!!!! She is cool as hell.

I think Sarge takes it if she makes weight. Cindy vs. paid jobber, essentially. Nothing against the poor girl, but she never really had a chance.

I believe it was said Grasso entered the cage at 130 for her UFC debut.

Idk about Aldana, wouldn't be surprised if it was around 160 tho. She big

Moroz should really consider changing her fight strategy going forward. All that activity doesn't really matter if the strikes aren't landing.

Good victory for Marion Reneau, I remember being impressed by her ground game in previous fights.

Torres vs Andrade was really a battle between speed vs pressure and power. Torres started to slow down and Andrade started to take over. Looking at her last 2 victories over Claudia and Tecia makes it even more impressive what Joanna was able to do to her.

Bad news for Nicco...gotta think Valentina is getting the shot now

I really like watching this version of Tecia Torres. Seems to be sitting down on her punches. She went toe-to-toe until it was too much. Really fun fight.

Back