Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Kinda strange how she’s bragging about taking a late notice fight against a 2-5 bantamweight

Yeah and you're probably being kind. Looked more like a 3" height difference to these untrained eyes.
Reminds me of Holly ("five foot eight") vs Ronda ("five foot seven"). In reality Ronda is 5'6 max and Holly is probably like 5'8 1/2, there was a really big difference lol. Same with Holly and Pennington. Holly always looks quite tall, even next to Cyborg who people made out to be a giant due to favorable photos with Frankie and Cat she looked taller.

I know the future in Bantamweight at UFC is going to
be Aspen Ladd & Lucie Pudilova since they are in there
early 20s and both have solid records if you discount
Lucie Pudilova having a pair of loses to Lina Lansberg.
All respect to Lucie, but Ladd is the much better prospect.

Kinda strange how she’s bragging about taking a late notice fight against a 2-5 bantamweight
I mean I know Hatice is a good striker, but she is a terrible mma fighter.

Last edited:
Ladd is a better mma fighter than Lucie now, but I don't think she has more potential than Lucie at 135.

Ladd is very strong for her size, but the problem is that she is a small BW. She would have to face big strong grapplers like Pena/Cat/Mcmann if she stays at 135. In my opinion, she would have a much easier path to top of the division if she choose to lose some baby fat and drops down to 125.

Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha

I favor Esparza over Claudia. I'm not sure that Claudia's heart is still in the game or not. Meanwhile Esparza has shown good defence on the ground against Calvillo.

If former MMA Gold teammate Yaya Rincon is believable
Aspen Ladd weighs 153 lbs which puts her at the lower end
of the weight average for the Bantamweight division.

155 isn’t close to the lower end of the division.
The lower end would be someone like Sara Mcmann who has said she walks around at or around 145.
Ladd is probably bigger than Mcmann and Pena

155 isn’t close to the lower end of the division.
The lower end would be someone like Sara Mcmann who has said she walks around at or around 145.
Ladd is probably bigger than Mcmann and Pena
Both Mcmann & Pena are shredded, Ladd carries a fair bit of body fat.

I like Aspen Ladd like a lot of people here but I think she is starting to get overrated a bit because 135 has a lack of prospects just like some of us did Irene Aldana before she joined the UFC. If I remember correctly Ladd was getting muscled around most of the 1st round of her fight vs Lina. Maybe Ladd will be an amazing fighter in the future. She is just not there yet. I would not be surprised if Leslie Smith beats her. Smith usually excels at fighting against prospects that have not yet reached their potential. Don't get me wrong I totally want Aspen to win but I just don't see her being as good as some of us fans think she is just yet.

WMMA rankings has posted that they are looking for new writers. I think there are a few here that could be pretty good for them. Maybe steer them away from being so much of a gossip site and source of crap for CSH Boxing to make videos off of.

I'm thinking of applying, maybe it could help my YT channel.

I just randomly thought of a matchup that kinda got me excited. JoJo vs Andrea KGB Lee is a fight that should be exciting.

If former MMA Gold teammate Yaya Rincon is believable
Aspen Ladd weighs 153 lbs which puts her at the lower end
of the weight average for the Bantamweight division.

Too much of that is, well, not lean mass. She could make 125 if she really wanted to with zero loss of muscle mass.

WMMA rankings has posted that they are looking for new writers. I think there are a few here that could be pretty good for them. Maybe steer them away from being so much of a gossip site and source of crap for CSH Boxing to make videos off of.

I should offer to be their consultant on Cyborg.

I should offer to be their consultant on Cyborg.

LOL. Glad you have a sense of humor about it all. Sometimes I read stuff here and am like holy crap people are sounding really pissed off like they take it all personally.

Sure, you and a few others here would add a lot to that site. I'd enjoy reading breakdowns of upcoming fights, features on individual fighters or organizations, post-fights analyses, and especially updates of wmma outside of UFC that includes where and when to watch.

Ladd is a better mma fighter than Lucie now, but I don't think she has more potential than Lucie at 135.

Ladd is very strong for her size, but the problem is that she is a small BW. She would have to face big strong grapplers like Pena/Cat/Mcmann if she stays at 135. In my opinion, she would have a much easier path to top of the division if she choose to lose some baby fat and drops down to 125.

Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha

I favor Esparza over Claudia. I'm not sure that Claudia's heart is still in the game or not. Meanwhile Esparza has shown good defence on the ground against Calvillo.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what the future holds for both Pudilova and Ladd.

Agree regarding current question about Claudia but I still give her a slight edge over Carla. Open question to me is whether Claudia can show improvement in her cardio and fight iq (i.e. fight like it's going the distance rather than expending too much energy with high risk - low reward efforts). Carla's been executing smart ringsmanship of late, really putting it all together well. I just feel Claudia has the skills and strength to beat her if she can properly develop and execute a game plan involving strong discipline over the entire length of the fight (rather than just trying a few things and then winging it).

Excited for the fights this Saturday February 24. Are they all still on?

What's your thoughts about what each fighter needs to do to win?

Andrade vs. Torres

McMann vs. Renau

Moroz vs. Hill

I just randomly thought of a matchup that kinda got me excited. JoJo vs Andrea KGB Lee is a fight that should be exciting.

Yeah that would be cool. Hope they can both get back into the octagon relatively soon. Whether against each other or other fighters. They're entertaining.

Also look forward to seeing Souza once her hand heals to 100%. Wonder if they'll find a replacement for her versus Aguilar.

I actually believe the hype with Aspen Ladd. She might be able to cut down to 125, but fighters tend to get bigger as their career progresses. I think she is one of the (physically) stronger BWs - she absolutely handled Eubanks (considered a powerhouse) when they fought. She's also very well-rounded in the various sub-disciplines of MMA. She is methodical; she listens to her coaches. And, her ceiling for maximum improvement is still quite a bit higher. Yes, she is still quite young and she may lose (to Smith...or the fight after that). But, I think any loss she suffers will just make her stronger (much like we can look back at Miocic's KO loss to Struve early in his career), unlike a lot of BWs we could mention. Can she beat Nunes tomorrow? Probably not. But, I think one day in the not-too-distant future, Aspen Ladd will be BW champion.

Jarl

Yeah that would be cool. Hope they can both get back into the octagon relatively soon. Whether against each other or other fighters. They're entertaining.

Also look forward to seeing Souza once her hand heals to 100%. Wonder if they'll find a replacement for her versus Aguilar.
Oh, she "hurt her hand?" Maybe she's just running, like she accused Grasso of doing. :D

She's helping a promoter and fighter out by taking a short notice fight, and seems fully intent on still taking the fight she originally planned for later. That's pretty gutsy.

Back