Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Believe FNG is still on Fight Pass - this happens next week

This tweet reminds me of an article I found I was meant to post:

Is Marina Mokhnatkina Russia's Ronda Rousey?

Sure, invoking the name of Ronda Rousey can easily be seen as a bit of a gimmick, but with four wins in less than six minutes of total cage time, Marina Mokhnatkina may be worthy of a comparison.

Like, Rousey, Mokhnatkina established herself at the highest level of a single discipline – in her case, sambo rather than judo. At 29, Mokhnatkina is a six-time Russian champion, two-time European champion and, most importantly, a four-time world champion, which is the highest level of the sport, with sambo not recognized as an Olympic sport.

Mokhnatkina is now focused on MMA, and she turned pro in June 2016 and quickly racked up four first-round submission wins – two by armbar, one by Achilles lock and, most recently, a kneebar.

On Feb. 22, Mokhnatkina (4-0) faces Liana Jojua (5-2) at Fight Nights Global 83 in Moscow, with the promotion’s inaugural bantamweight title on the line. Can Mokhnatkina keep her impressive streak alive and become a pioneer in the women’s game in her native Russia?

Ahead of that FNG 83 clash, check out Mokhnatkina’s most recent victory, a 58-second submission win over Karine Silva, courtesy of FNG, above.

Link

an article I found I was meant to post:
Is Marina Mokhnatkina Russia's Ronda Rousey?
"...Like, Rousey, Mokhnatkina established herself at the highest level of a single discipline – in her case, sambo rather than judo. At 29, Mokhnatkina is a six-time Russian champion, two-time European champion and, most importantly, a four-time world champion..."

If Marina Mokhnatkina is headed for MMA greatness, a comparison with Megumi Fujii might ultimately be more apt, as Mega Megu was a Japanese National Sambo champion with five Second Place finishes in the World Sambo Championships.

My latest video:

unfortunately, the wmma today blog is on sustained hiatus, leaving one less news source for our niche-within-a-niche. I'm gonna try hard to step up my game W.R.T. getting the latest news out there. Probably nothing ground breaking, but it's better than scrolling through multiple threads and sites looking for individual bits of news.

Good job covering news & announcements. That April 6 Bellator fight sounds exciting. Also the Rizin events. Agree Leslie Smith should be commended for her efforts. Glad there's fights around the world to keep us excited. You know that scene well so I'll keep tuning in to stay informed.

I know Esparza vs Gadelha should be a good match up as
long as Claudia Gadelha doesn't have issues with her cardio
like she did against Jessica Andrade.

I was waiting for this one! Can't wait to see Claudia back and for this to settle once and for all (hopefully they both make it to the actual octagon this time round).

I dunno much about the Grasso rumor but that's all of the top five booked:
05. Tecia Torres (vs. Jessica Andrade)
04. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (vs. Felice Herrig)
03. Claudia Gadelha (vs. Carla Esparza)
02. Jessica Andrade (vs. Tecia Torres)
01. Joanna Jedrzejczyk (vs. Rose Namajunas)

Either means she's moving up to flyweight or the fight got scrapped. Would be interesting to see Grasso at flyweight, wonder who she'd fight.

In rankings news, Leslie Smith finally breaks into the top ten. Currently ranked ninth alongside Rousey (who for some reason is still ranked despite going to WWE full time). Marion Reneau also moved up to eighth! Evans-Smith is currently fifteenth however I feel Pudilova will very soon take that spot after AES moves down to flyweight.

Last edited:
Meh, I never trust non English news sources when it comes to UFC news.

My latest video:

unfortunately, the wmma today blog is on sustained hiatus, leaving one less news source for our niche-within-a-niche. I'm gonna try hard to step up my game W.R.T. getting the latest news out there. Probably nothing ground breaking, but it's better than scrolling through multiple threads and sites looking for individual bits of news.

Highlight for me was the Cyborg impression.

Ariane Lipski vs. Silvana Juarez at KSW 42, seems like a great fight, this KSW card is stacked

Last edited:
Do you know of any Chilean female fighters they might pick up for that card?
Doesn't have to be chilean, when come to combat sports latinos will support each other, any fighter from Argentina, Peru, VZL etc will have the hometown fans rooting for them

I won't be surprised if Sabina Mazo gets in this card, doing a quick research i'd also expect: Reina Cordoba (FLW), Carolina Jimenez (FLW), Laura Balin (SW), Joselyne Edwards (FLW) and Pamela Ruiz (SW).

Jimenez, close friend of Veronica Macedo, seems the most obvious, very marketable and already is headlining events in Europe.

upload_2018-2-15_18-52-48.jpeg

14032802_copia.jpg.525.0.thumb

dacb1eee85bd93afdc53c626e92e081d.png

Ariane Lipski vs. Silvana Juarez at KSW 43, seems like a great fight, this KSW card is stacked

Hell yeah, looking forward to seeing Lipski again. Don't know anything about Juarez. Anyone know if KSW might stream it live for free or vod?

Mazo wanted more experience before moving up, but with some of the weaker girls from tuf still around she could just as easily get that in the UFC as in Legacy

We got some interesting revelations due to the weigh in mix up in Bellator. The lead guy for the commission inadvertently revealed how much Heather Hardy was being paid by Bellator in his attempt to explain the situation. He said

"(Julaton) came in, and I explained to her that it’s your decision if you’re going to fight, but Ms. Hardy is going to get a 20 percent fine, which is $2,400. And instead of me keeping $1,000 of it, which I have the right to, I provided the $2,400 to her opponent."

So that mean Heather is being paid 12k. I am going to give Bellator the benefit of the doubt and say that she is on a show/win deal. That would make her deal 12k/12k or pretty much a minimum UFC contract. That does not seem good at all when they consider her one of the more marketable people in their promotion. I mean she gets more push than Patricio Freire and he is actually good. This makes me wonder how much Ilima and Ducote got paid for their title fight. Something tells me it was not 130k like Roxy/Nicco.

Last edited:
Bellator payment is a mess, many guys like Rampage and Sonnen being overpaid and the real fighters in their primes gets peanuts..

We got some interesting revelations due to the weigh in mix up in Bellator. The lead guy for the commission inadvertently revealed how much Heather Hardy was being paid by Bellator in his attempt to explain the situation. He said

"(Julaton) came in, and I explained to her that it’s your decision if you’re going to fight, but Ms. Hardy is going to get a 20 percent fine, which is $2,400. And instead of me keeping $1,000 of it, which I have the right to, I provided the $2,400 to her opponent."

So that mean Heather is being paid 12k. I am going to give Bellator the benefit of the doubt and say that she is on a show/win deal. That would make her deal 12k/12k or pretty much a minimum UFC contract. That does not seem good at all when they consider her one of the more marketable people in their promotion. I mean she gets more push than Patricio Freire and he is actually good. This makes me wonder how much Ilima and Ducote got paid for their title fight. Something tells me it was not 130k like Roxy/Nicco.
So the number 2 promotion pays a lot less than the number 1? Color me shocked.

Back