Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Karolina is a top level opponent. She is the #4 ranked fighter at WSW and gave a good fight to Joanna, clipping her during the fight.
If Felice wins, it will be 5 wins in a row including a top 4 opponent, with the results i mentioned in my other post, it will make A LOT of sense to have her as the next contender.
Just because you don't agree with that, doesn't make Felice a hypejob, she's not. She's a very solid and proven fighter already.
Records doesn't mean shit. Mark Hunt has a journeyman record and Werdum got a very deserved titleshot after beating him, then he goes and beats Cain aswell. Cortney is a tough opponent.

Karolina has losses to Claudia and Joanna. Only worthy win is over Rose, which is legit win at this point.

I admit you are right that records don't mean that much, but resumes mean. So. who has she beat?

Mr. Hunt has victories over: Vanderlei, Mirko, TK, Roy, Antonio and Frank. You got to have some great names in your resume.

I have seen Cortney fight and I admit that she has been difficult opponent ( I wont call her tough, because she faked on that soccer kick against Claudia), The problem is that Cortney doesn't have good resume, like Felice doesn't have. They need some victories over top rank names.

Karolina has losses to Claudia and Joanna. Only worthy win is over Rose, which is legit win at this point.

I admit you are right that records don't mean that much, but resumes mean. So. who has she beat?

Mr. Hunt has victories over: Vanderlei, Mirko, TK, Roy, Antonio and Frank. You got to have some great names in your resume.

I have seen Cortney fight and I admit that she has been difficult opponent ( I wont call her tough, because she faked on that soccer kick against Claudia), The problem is that Cortney doesn't have good resume, like Felice doesn't have. They need some victories over top rank names.
Okay... so if she beats Karolina she'll have a "top rank name" win and can justify her case for a title shot. Herrig has the longest active winning streak and has wins over Grasso (who was undefeated at the time), Kish (not on the same skill level as Grasso but was also undefeated) and Casey (who is in my opinion underrated and just needs to pull everything she has together in order to be a top fighter).

I mean, Karolina beat Randa Markos and Heather Jo Clark before fighting Rose. I don't think the UFC expected her to win but when she did she got the title shot against Joanna at UFC 205. I don't see why Herrig can't if she beats Karolina. Not to mention Herrig has fought opponents with a higher skill set than both Markos and Clark.

It all depends on the outcome of the fight at 223. If Joanna wins then it opens the door to either Herrig or Torres to get the title shot if they beat their opponents.

Also, referring to your comment about Herrig losing to VanZant. That fight was three years ago. Felice took a year off to get herself together mentally and came back and look where she is now. Put her back in against VanZant and I have no doubt Felice would win.

I enjoy the passion everyone brings to these conversations. But getting overly worked up about hypothetical matchups after fighter x beats fighter y and fighter b loses to fighter can get exhausting especially considering that most every fight contains surprises we didn't expect. So many variables at play: injuries, how cards are shaping up, schedules etc. Most of the questions we get worked up about are revealed in the actual fights. That's my favorite part of it all - watching & analyzing the fights themselves. Want to also add that KK and Felice, Jessica & Tecia are high level fighters who I'll continue to enjoy watching regardless of whether they win or lose their next fight.

I enjoy the passion everyone brings to these conversations. But getting overly worked up about hypothetical matchups after fighter x beats fighter y and fighter b loses to fighter can get exhausting especially considering that most every fight contains surprises we didn't expect. So many variables at play: injuries, how cards are shaping up, schedules etc. Most of the questions we get worked up about are revealed in the actual fights. That's my favorite part of it all - watching & analyzing the fights themselves. Want to also add that KK and Felice, Jessica & Tecia are high level fighters who I'll continue to enjoy watching regardless of whether they win or lose their next fight.

I am getting worked up over this post.

:) (joking, obviously)

Still working on the detailed breakdown of Val's footwork and control of distance. I wound up writing a lot more than I thought I would. Typical.

With Orlando & Brooklyn having Strawweight bouts that
will have division Implications via wins equaling next title
shots or a title eliminator i wouldn't want to call any of them
especially the Rose vs Joanna fight.

word on spanish mma media is alexa grasso signed a bout agreement to fight a top 5 opponent

Maia's signing was about time to be honest. Glad it's finally happening for her. They'll eventually pick up Niedzwiedz (who I think needs to develop more) and Porto as time goes by. I think a fight against Valentina could be in the cards but then again I think what could also happen is a JAG vs. Claudia UFC 190 situation where they sign Maia and put her in a title eliminator fight on the same card Montano vs. Shevchenko happens (granted, JJ vs. Letourneau wasn't on the same card as JAG / Claudia but still). I think a suitable opponent would be Alexis Davis. I'm still holding out for Murphy vs. Eubanks because backstory. I think it all depends on how Montano's foot is doing, if she's back soon enough then I can see Valentina getting the title shot but if more time is required then I can also see Maia vs. Valentina for the title shot.

I think Waterson will struggle with Casey's size... I don't mind who wins this, don't want either to lose :p

The UFC needed to sign Maia, because their champ is not the best flyweight out there. Maia gives the belt legitimacy. The smart thing is to give her either Valentina or a top contender in her debut.

Damn..
135 has about 20 fighters right now, i think she should consider moving up, but who knows, its her career after all..

Has to be Claudia Gadelha .
That would be a strange fight to make.
Strange? I'd say absurd. Makes no sense, Grasso barely won her last fight, she has A LOT to learn before a top 5 opponent.. Gadelha domianted KK before Andrade and was making work of Andrade at R1, oh my god i'll hate so much that match up if it's true.. :mad:

Maybe Grasso is moving up and fighting a top 5 at FLW? I hope it's that, she missed weight against Markos and by a lot (4 lbs), i don't think she should fight at 125 tho

ICYMI the new season of Super Fight League in India has started

Strange? I'd say absurd. Makes no sense, Grasso barely won her last fight, she has A LOT to learn before a top 5 opponent.. Gadelha domianted KK before Andrade and was making work of Andrade at R1, oh my god i'll hate so much that match up if it's true.. :mad:

Maybe Grasso is moving up and fighting a top 5 at FLW? I hope it's that, she missed weight against Markos and by a lot (4 lbs), i don't think she should fight at 125 tho
Perhaps it's Carla Esparza? She is number 6, (so almost top 5) and both are coming off wins. Gadelha is just not a good matchup for her, I think. In a year or two, I could see Alexa having a path to victory against Claudia.. just not yet.

Hopefully it isn't a Women's Flyweight move, the Top 8 at 125 are all pretty big women..
IMG_6704.PNG

Looking at that list however, the impending arrival of Maia, and hopefully Porto, makes the top 10 of this division pretty stacked.

Beyond them, you also have Lipski and Neidzweidz coming up, it'll be a very fun division.

I don't think they'd give another prospect to Esparza, not very likely.

Talking about Mrs. Violence Lipski, i wish she was fighting Rin Nakai.. i wanna see she being tested, at least in one aspect of the game and i don't see many people outside Invicta/UFC/Bellator that could make it happen

If the grasso gadelha fight happens the ufc has to of officially given up on Grasso, because she will get submitted in the first round

Lipski is so exciting to watch. Looking forward to her next fight. She mentioned in a recent interview that Rin turned down a fight.

I too would be surprised if Grasso is fighting Gadelha. Esparza seems more likely to me. Then who fights Claudia?

Not sure what's up with Macedo. In a live chat last year she said she believes in fighting at natural weight, i.e. she didn't intend to move down.

Strawweight: Poliana Botelho (6-1) faces Syuri Kondo (6-0) at UFC Chile May 19th

Lipski is so exciting to watch. Looking forward to her next fight. She mentioned in a recent interview that Rin turned down a fight.

I too would be surprised if Grasso is fighting Gadelha. Esparza seems more likely to me. Then who fights Claudia?

Not sure what's up with Macedo. In a live chat last year she said she believes in fighting at natural weight, i.e. she didn't intend to move down.
When Nakai announced her next fight would be in Japan, I was disappointed because I hoped she'd face Lipski after the first try fell through. Lipski is certainly one of the most athletic talents in WMMA but I'd like KSW to find someone who can be a challenge.

Grasso needs an emphatic win in her next fight. If not, she may be best returning to Invicta. Also, she's so loyal to her dad that I don't see her leaving his camp anytime soon.

Regarding weight classes, I wish fighters walking weight and in camp weight were closer and that the max dehydration lost was 5% bodyweight and not encroaching 8/9% like some do.

I would make Gadelha vs. Esparza (2 well rounded vets) and Grasso vs. Aldrich/Ansaroff/Pereira

Grasso needs to calm down and build momentum again, her last fight was as close as it gets, NOOO FUCKING REASON to face Gadelha

If I'm not mistaken Lobo Gym where Alexa Grasso and her
teammates train was originally a boxing gym that converted
over to or added MMA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back