Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dern seems to be close to Ronda in terms of her skill set with a few differences that might hold her back from doing as well as Ronda did. She like Ronda has bad striking technique but hits hard. Like Ronda she is very good on the ground. Dern is better on the ground overall but Ronda is much better at instantly going for the kill. Both lack head movement which will come back to haunt Dern like it did Ronda if she does not fix it.

The biggest difference between her and Ronda is the ability to take the fight to the ground. Ronda's judo was the main reason why her terrible striking was not exposed earlier. Dern is terrible at takedowns. She is currently fighting cans and is having trouble taking them down. Being good on the ground is worth nothing if you can't get the fight there. If you are not a high level fighter Ronda will take you down within 10 seconds of grabbing you. We are still early in her career so there is still time a lot of time for her to improve on her weaknesses. If she does she can be special.

dern doin a good impression of milena dudieva , swingin overhand right.
torn about the jackson letourneau fight, i like val but want to see kate do well too, i think jackson wins

In case you missed it Juliana Pena has announced she is 6 months pregnant (why she hasn't been booked for a fight for a while). Expecting in January so will be out for a bit.

In case you missed it Juliana Pena has announced she is 6 months pregnant (why she hasn't been booked for a fight for a while). Expecting in January so will be out for a bit.
I'm not pissed becoz she preggers. I pissed becoz it's not mine.

A flyweight contest in January. Ji Yeon Kim vs. Justine Kish.

image_readtop_2017_679249_15080057543061266.jpg

A flyweight contest in January. Ji Yeon Kim vs. Justine Kish.

image_readtop_2017_679249_15080057543061266.jpg

Hopefully, Kish's performances will be more impressive as a flyweight. She rivaled Letourneau in looking more godawfully emaciated after cuts than anyone else I can think of.

Mixed results for the ATT girls in Panama last night. Cicero lost to Joselyne Edwards but Kayla Hracho won her amateur fight.

Hopefully, Kish's performances will be more impressive as a flyweight. She rivaled Letourneau in looking more godawfully emaciated after cuts than anyone else I can think of.
Kish needed this division desperately. That being said, she really needs to clean up her technique now. She won't always be the biggest girl in the cage now.

Kish needed this division desperately. That being said, she really needs to clean up her technique now. She won't always be the biggest girl in the cage now.

And she just seems slow. Maybe when she quits trying to throw a round kick like she is trying to blast every guy who ever said "I'll call you" things will pick up a bit for her.

Do you think that 125 will allow for a "performance boost" for Kish (along with a number of other skeletal SWs)? I've been telling myself that some of the veteran fighters will return to their previous form. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Kind of like me wishing that so many fighters weren't kept on a shelf.

I've heard it said that having a baby can actually increase a woman's athletic performance. No idea how much truth there is to that. It's probably just bro-science (as a lot of women stop working after having a baby and can devote more time to training.)

If i'm not mistaken Justine Kish did start at 125 lbs but
she did drop to 115 lbs prior to her last pre UFC fight
so she has been a strawweight for a while.The other two
that would benefit at 125 would be Ashley Yoder and
Courtney Casey since there both north of 5'7" & weigh
probably about 140 lbs.

I've heard it said that having a baby can actually increase a woman's athletic performance. No idea how much truth there is to that. It's probably just bro-science (as a lot of women stop working after having a baby and can devote more time to training.)

Back in the 1980s it was a thing with women distance runners following the success of the Norwegian marathon runner Kristiansen. Seemingly there is an increase in blood volume, giving an effect similar to blood doping, but it only lasts a few weeks after giving birth.

If i'm not mistaken Justine Kish did start at 125 lbs but
she did drop to 115 lbs prior to her last pre UFC fight
so she has been a strawweight for a while.The other two
that would benefit at 125 would be Ashley Yoder and
Courtney Casey since there both north of 5'7" & weigh
probably about 140 lbs.

Kish only made weight at strawweight when she fought and lost to Felice Herrig, flyweight is where she belongs. There are plenty of other UFC strawweights who would benefit from switching and probably are. Many flyweights, and bantamweights, dropped weight to fight at strawweight after the UFC introduced that division. Atomweights came up too.

Invicta started that trend, in part by signing many flyweights to fight in their strawweight division.

Casey seems like she might stick with strawweight due to her ability to make the weight fairly well and so enjoys a size advantage there. At least in Casey's situation I recall reading different thoughts from her about where she (might) decide to end up and at least she has (good) choice(s) in the matter.

--
I came across this earlier. Rizin stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcwVs1vPbtmPBmEcPX_y6g

Last edited:
Kish only made weight at strawweight when she fought and lost to Felice Herrig, flyweight is where she belongs. There are plenty of other UFC strawweights who would benefit from switching and probably are. Many flyweights, and bantamweights, dropped weight to fight at strawweight after the UFC introduced that division. Atomweights came up too.

Invicta started that trend, in part by signing many flyweights to fight in their strawweight division.

Casey seems like she might stick with strawweight due to her ability to make the weight fairly well and so enjoys a size advantage there. At least in Casey's situation I recall reading different thoughts from her about where she decide to end up and at least she has a choice in the matter.

--
I came across this earlier. Rizin stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcwVs1vPbtmPBmEcPX_y6g

Casey doesn't seem like someone who struggles to make 115 that much, her and Moroz could probably move up and down between 125 and 115 with relative ease.

Kish, Gadelha, Botelho, and Ansaroff are the obvious cases of people who need to move up to me.

A fighter once told me that if you have given birth you can take a punch.

Truth is women do have a greater pain threshold than guys, especially after birth. This is what I have heard.

In case you missed it Kanna had shown some great wrestling in her match last night. Her vs. Oliveria in the semi-finals should be a good scrap.

In case you missed it here is Rena's win from Sunday

Crappy news. I hope Stanley recovers.

--
Aside from finding the Rizin stuff above I saw this fight earlier today. I wasn't going to post it but for not seeing people who follow wins/losses not posting about it.

I saw this a week ago and have been looking for a better version but no luck. I'd like to see Polyana Viana fight a more experienced opponent next time out. A debut after nearly a year of isn't great. 9-1 at this point in her MMA career. Strawweight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back