Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big step up for Jodi. I think KK takes this.
It's likely size and strength plays a factor too, and I wouldn't be surprised if this looks the Namajunas fight.

So wait. Thorton lost to Sabina Mazo whose fighting on the same card and she's getting the title shot over Sabina whose at least contender worthy. I get they want to give Lee a winnable fight but she could beat Mazo. It seems like they're just trying to keep her busy until UFC's Flyweight division is up and running which I guess I can't blame them.
I feel like both Lee and Mazo are just being primed for the UFC.
I find this annoying actually. Unless they're gonna publically announce weight like this for everyone, don't do it for anyone.

The article cites Drew Dober too, when he fought at 214. On that card Cyborg fought too, no way Cyborg weighed only 14.5 pounds more than 145 versus Evinger at 214. Also doubt that Demaian Maia weighed in at 187 versus woodley.

I was not expecting that TBH. Thought they'd re-book Souza vs. Esquibel in Invicta, bet Souza's fuming :D

It's likely size and strength plays a factor too, and I wouldn't be surprised if this looks the Namajunas fight.

I find this annoying actually. Unless they're gonna publically announce weight like this for everyone, don't do it for anyone.

The article cites Drew Dober too, when he fought at 214. On that card Cyborg fought too, no way Cyborg weighed only 14.5 pounds more than 145 versus Evinger at 214. Also doubt that Demaian Maia weighed in at 187 versus woodley.
Personally, i'm dead set against fighters cutting a lot of weight and then blowing up on fight night.

Until they wish to actually enforce this rule on Cyborg, they should STFU about all other women.
Tinfoil hat on, I kind of suspect they are putting on a show by going after lesser known fighters and are not likely to crack down on Cyborg, Holly, or other big names like that... they named Dober as well and he can't be the only man cutting a ton of weight. Maia and Woodley not being above the "limit" seems unlikely as mentioned.

Tinfoil hat on, I kind of suspect they are putting on a show by going after lesser known fighters and are not likely to crack down on Cyborg, Holly, or other big names like that... they named Dober as well and he can't be the only man cutting a ton of weight. Maia and Woodley not being above the "limit" seems unlikely as mentioned.

Oh, of course. That is why I always laugh at idiots who think that USADA and the commissions are either knowledgeable, moral or, worse yet, both. I have seen some very shady shit over the years.

Until they wish to actually enforce this rule on Cyborg, they should STFU about all other women.
word-jpeg.15855

Agreed about Lee and Mazo, and Cyborg's weight vs Evinger.

Personally, i'm dead set against fighters cutting a lot of weight and then blowing up on fight night.

It's not healthy, but if you have followed Pa'aluhi, she went the opposite extreme, in that she went from having a lot of trouble with her weight and getting to 135, to having controlled her diet and intake so much that she looks like most people do at weigh-ins, every day. That can't be healthy, either,

I just saw this. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

--
Sarah Kaufman confirms what I read yesterday.

Sarah's outspoken, I like it.

What potential opponent dropped out and why?

I just saw this. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

--
Sarah Kaufman confirms what I read yesterday.

Cyborg boxing thing is just a negotiating tactic. Womens boxers gets paid terrible generally. I have heard most get paid less than a min UFC contract win. I also think Cyborg thinks she is more popular than she actually is. Most of her popularity is tied with the UFC. She gets put on some big cards and thinks she is the reason why they were big. I still remember her headlining Invicta cards that did not do well. The only exception being the card that was held during UFC international fight week.

Sarah Kaufman's situation is sad. She should still be in the UFC. I wish she would never have ducked Sara McMann back in the day when people thought she was the next big thing. She was trying to avoid a fight with McMann but now made her career a lot more harder because the UFC decided not to re-sign her and the regional promotions are generally terrible. She is not hot enough for Bellator to care and I have no idea why Invicta does not want her even though she is friends with all the people with power to sign her

Sarah's outspoken, I like it.

What potential opponent dropped out and why?

Monserrat Alvarez (3-3) from Mexico was her opponent. I've not seen the specific reason she pulled out but she wasn't properly contracted from what Kaufman says.

Agreed on Kaufman being outspoken. She is friendly but she does tend to speak her mind when it matters.

Cyborg boxing thing is just a negotiating tactic. Womens boxers gets paid terrible generally. I have heard most get paid less than a min UFC contract win. I also think Cyborg thinks she is more popular than she actually is. Most of her popularity is tied with the UFC. She gets put on some big cards and thinks she is the reason why they were big. I still remember her headlining Invicta cards that did not do well. The only exception being the card that was held during UFC international fight week.

Agreed on Cyborg. I've known some women in boxing and people who train with them. Terrible pay conditions for them for some time now. Lion Fight was willing to put some money on her when she was fliting with MT but the pay is still below that of the UFC.

But it will be interesting to see what happens with Cyborg. If she were gone from the scene and the (new weight plan - edit) CSAC is used properly that would drive many current, large, bantamweights, back to featherweight and change the scene up in that division. Just the CSAC could cause Cyborg trouble as she cuts a ton of weight herself.

Sarah Kaufman's situation is sad. She should still be in the UFC. I wish she would never have ducked Sara McMann back in the day when people thought she was the next big thing. She was trying to avoid a fight with McMann but now made her career a lot more harder because the UFC decided not to re-sign her and the regional promotions are generally terrible. She is not hot enough for Bellator to care and I have no idea why Invicta does not want her even though she is friends with all the people with power to sign her

Agreed on Kaufman being in the UFC. I've not been happy with how they have run their divisions. Or even creating them out of turn. At least I understand their reasoning for 115lbs after 135lbs but 145lbs before 125lbs? Dumb. Keep Cyborg out of Bellator? They were already paying Cyborg to fight in Invicta. (Bellator isn't doing very good with management either in my opinion. Edit)

McMann pulled out on Kaufman then Kaufman had an injury. I still would have liked that fight to happen, eventually. (Lots of people were ducking Kaufman for a while there.)

UFC just seemed lukewarm on her from the get go. And some of their matchmaking was pretty bad. Judges were often unhelpful with terrible decisions being handed out.

Kaufman tried to cut to 125lbs but she felt it didn't work. I watched an interview with her recently where she discussed that issue. Rotten situation for her.

There are a few fighters needing opponents this month.

Elizabeth Phillips. I double she wants Kaufman though. Phillips needs a win, she won't want to fight Kaufman.

Antonina Shevchenko's opponent, Kerry Hughes, from what I understand, has dropped out too but Antonina is making her MMA debut and that fight won't happen (or shouldn't). Very disappointing to see that fight scraped.

--

Hard to translate what happened but it looks like either Davina Maciel or Ketlen Souza (Silva) "Esquentadinha" (1-1) defeated her opponent by TKO yesterday at Mr. Cage 29. It looks like Maciel but image is not great. Maciel (6-1) had been set to fight Andrea K. Lee while back for LFA but she had visa problems getting into the US.

--
Since I posted on this topic a few pages back I'll post some pics on it.

DSC_1285.jpg

DSC_1311.jpg

DSC_1335.jpg

Maiju Suotama def. Hatice Ozyurt by RNC in rd. 1at Carelia Fight 13.

To combine two topics. I was looking for Carelia Fight 13 and found it but not all of it. MIssing Suotama's fight. I did notice this blast from the past, though:

Fight that never happened.

Last edited:
Agreed on Cyborg. I've known some women in boxing and people who train with them. Terrible pay conditions for them for some time now. Lion Fight was willing to put some money on her when she was fliting with MT but the pay is still below that of the UFC.

But it will be interesting to see what happens with Cyborg. If she were gone from the scene and the CSAC is used properly that would drive many current, large, bantamweights, back to featherweight and change the scene up in that division. Just the CSAC could cause Cyborg trouble as she cuts a ton of weight herself.

Agreed on Kaufman being in the UFC. I've not been happy with how they have run their divisions. Or even creating them out of turn. At least I understand their reasoning for 115lbs after 135lbs but 145lbs before 125lbs? Dumb. Keep Cyborg out of Bellator? They were already paying Cyborg to fight in Invicta. (Bellator isn't doing very good with management either in my opinion. Edit)

McMann pulled out on Kaufman then Kaufman had an injury. I still would have liked that fight to happen, eventually. (Lots of people were ducking Kaufman for a while there.)

UFC just seemed lukewarm on her from the get go. And some of their matchmaking was pretty bad. Judges were often unhelpful with terrible decisions being handed out.

Kaufman tried to cut to 125lbs but she felt it didn't work. I watched an interview with her recently where she discussed that issue. Rotten situation for her.

There are a few fighters needing opponents this month.

Elizabeth Phillips. I double she wants Kaufman though. Phillips needs a win, she won't want to fight Kaufman.

Antonina Shevchenko's opponent, Kerry Hughes, from what I understand, has dropped out too but Antonina is making her MMA debut and that fight won't happen (or shouldn't). Very disappointing to see that fight scraped.

--

Hard to translate what happened but it looks like either Davina Maciel or Ketlen Souza (Silva) "Esquentadinha" (1-1) defeated her opponent by TKO yesterday at Mr. Cage 29. It looks like Maciel but image is not great. Maciel (6-1) had been set to fight Andrea K. Lee while back for LFA but she had visa problems getting into the US.

--
Since I posted on this topic a few pages back I'll post some pics on it.

DSC_1285.jpg

DSC_1311.jpg

DSC_1335.jpg

Maiju Suotama vs. Hatice Ozyurt at Carelia Fight 13 by RNC in rd. 1.

While you were right about both having an injury there was also a lot of ducking on behalf of Kaufman. She did not duck the 1st fight but after that fight fell through the UFC kept trying to re-book it and she never accepted again. This was the main reason why she kept having such long periods between fights. The UFC kept offering McMann and Sarah turned it down so they offered McMann again at a later date and it continued. Sara and the UFC got tired of it and just signed Lauren Murphy from Invicta to fight McMann. This is why when her contract ran out they never thought about re-signing her. I remember this so clearly because the fight made perfect sense and I was actually interested in what would happen between the two.

Sources to back up the ducking claims:

"Seems that Kaufman has other plans, as she told Helwani that she is more interested in fighting either Cat Zingano or Miesha Tate"

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/sara-mcmann-wants-to-return-against-sarah-kaufman-051414

"This isn't the first time McMann has complained about other women not stepping up to face her. McMann said that it was supposed to be Cat Zingano this time, but she is injured. Sarah Kaufman was also a possibility, McMann said, but she hasn't agreed to the bout, either."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/...en-challenge-to-any-woman-in-the-ufc-to-fight

Sara complained about being ducked was continually calling out Kaufman. Like she did in this video at a local show.

I know that Kaufman had less interest in fighting McMann later on as she was looking for other fights. McMann had lost a fight and barely won a fight against Murphy. Kaufman said as much she wanted to fight Miesha and Miesha said she wanted Kaufman until another shot at Rousey came along. (Cat for that matter too.) Kaufman was looking for a fight that would improve her chances at a title shot and make divisional sense.

Anyways, several times McMann complained about Kaufman not taking the fight Kaufman said she was injured or in recovery. And Kaufman reminded McMann that is was she who had pulled out a planned fight.

--
DOH!

Future in flyweight?

Last edited:

I agree about Lee and Mazo. I have a feeling this will be KGB's last fight before she's signed, so they want an impressive victory. I'll probably be going to that card.

They should announce the day of weights of all fighters. The only good part of this is that weight classes with less depth might get an influx of fighters from lower weights. Also, I don't understand how fighters gain so much weight in on day. I dieted from 225 to 210, then cut to 190 for a grappling tournament. I was only back up to 208 the next day after stuffing my face that night.

But it will be interesting to see what happens with Cyborg. If she were gone from the scene and the CSAC is used properly that would drive many current, large, bantamweights, back to featherweight and change the scene up in that division. Just the CSAC could cause Cyborg trouble as she cuts a ton of weight herself.

I've never been entertained by Cyborg's can crushing and beat downs, but I kind of feel bad for her. I've always thought that she should've, long ago, assumed the role of a villain and started dabbling in pro wrestling. Kind of like the way Lesnar goes back and forth between wrasslin' and MMA (and makes great money doing so.) Sure, the women involved with pro wrestling are usually pretty girls, but I think that fact would only make Cyborg a better villain. It's too bad she has to resort to boxing for peanuts. It's gotta be a drag to be considered, by some, one of the best female fighters in the world while having to scrounge around for chump change fights.

I agree about Lee and Mazo. I have a feeling this will be KGB's last fight before she's signed, so they want an impressive victory. I'll probably be going to that card.

They should announce the day of weights of all fighters. The only good part of this is that weight classes with less depth might get an influx of fighters from lower weights. Also, I don't understand how fighters gain so much weight in on day. I dieted from 225 to 210, then cut to 190 for a grappling tournament. I was only back up to 208 the next day after stuffing my face that night.
Yeah that's all I want, ALL Fighters announced and recommended the same.

Seems shady to do only do it to smaller names, when I'm 100% certain the Borg and Maia are in the same boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back