Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
photos of Emiko Raika vs Hae-In Kim, courtesy of Bloody Elbow: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/...urnament-mighty-mo-defends-mma-korea-photos#0

Road_FC_40_29.jpg

Road_FC_40_30.jpg

Road_FC_40_31.jpg

Road_FC_40_32.jpg

Would like too see Cavillo vs Felice to see if she can get the hat trick against undefeated fighters, Karate Hottie vs Tecia would be nice too.

So interesting scenario here.

Out of the 44 that tried out, I can confirm at least 34 that aren't on the show. This leaves 10 which I can confirm half of them are definitely in. Dipping into the top 25 flyweights and bantamweights not signed with the UFC I can see three aren't on social media at the moment. That would only give us 13 for the show.

Maybe they are doing 8 women instead?

Last edited:
So with JoJo in the news recently I began remember back in the days before TUF20 opened the 115 division in the UFC and JoJo was wrecking shop in Invicta. People thought JoJo would be what Joanna turned out to be. What happened to her? Her takedown defense was good back in those days. During her fight with Katja Kankaanpaa she was stopping takedowns much like Joanna does now. JoJo was more varied in her attack unlike her last fight when it seemed like over 90% of her strikes seemed to be weak teeps or kicks.

I wanted to tell you guys a little more about Sheena Starr, who is fighting Juju Auclair for Rizin at the end of the month. Sheena has been getting flack lately online because Tapology has her record at 3-17. She actually has 20+ unsanctioned fights in Michigan that went unrecorded. Amateur MMA wasn't sanctioned in Michigan until early 2016. During part of her amateur career, she was recovering from cancer and couldn't train like she wanted. She's known for taking a lot of last minute fights but has been taking her training seriously for this fight. She's been at Fuse MMA with Myles Jury and Bobby Nash in Michigan. She might end up suprising a few people in her fight against Juju. She has more than 10 times as many amateur fights as Juju. She talks about a lot of this in this article. I just felt like I needed to give her some love because people think she's a can.

https://www.wmmascoop.com/single-post/2017/07/06/Puma-Thoughts-with-Sheena-Starr

Just had another almost all wmma card here in Brazil this weekend, this time in Rio.
ALOT of lower level girls but a couple of noticeble names:
- Karol Cavedo goes up to 7-1 with a armbar finish. She is up there as one of the best 135lb prospects in brazil now.
- Simone Duarte who was jungle fight champ and recently lost to weili zhang in kunlun fights got a win
- Jamila Sandora, t is an interesting character showed alot of improvement from her ammy fight at F2N. She is still very rough but is one of Jessica Andrade's sparring partners and she put a whooping on this girl who had 4 pro fights (2-2), whooping was so bad the other girl didnt come back for round 2.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/NCE-16-New-Corpore-Extreme-16-NCE-Ladies-62061

So with JoJo in the news recently I began remember back in the days before TUF20 opened the 115 division in the UFC and JoJo was wrecking shop in Invicta. People thought JoJo would be what Joanna turned out to be. What happened to her? Her takedown defense was good back in those days. During her fight with Katja Kankaanpaa she was stopping takedowns much like Joanna does now. JoJo was more varied in her attack unlike her last fight when it seemed like over 90% of her strikes seemed to be weak teeps or kicks.

She definitely looked like a more complete fighter when she faced Katja. I honestly have no idea how she's been reduced down to her current state; it's perplexing to say the least.

I don't know how Colleen's going to make 125 at 5'9 but we'll see I guess.

Finally got around watching the Calderwood vs. Calvillo fight (if there wasn't Invicta, I'd drop the shit out of Fight Pass with f'n Viasat deal causing a few day blackout of pretty much all cards in my neck of woods on Fight Pass)

It wasn't as horrible as people claimed. And while I am not going to argue anyone about giving 1st and 3rd to Calvillo, the 30-27 scores were utterly baffling, and JoJo could have easily been given the first (40 secs of slightly winning on the ground vs. 4:20 of slightly winning on the feet). Oh well. 125 next and someone decently ranked for Calvillo...

I thought she missed the 125 limit
She did. I think it was controversial too. She was initially set to face Rebecca Ruth at 125 but then Ruth pulled out, and then she was offered a fight at 135 so she started eating to get her weight up but then that fell through and her opponent ended up being Chrissie Daniels and Daniels would not agree to fighting at a catchweight so they ended up fighting at flyweight, where Colleen understandably missed weight considering she was under thinking for 3 days that she would be fighting at 135.

Colleen ended up winning in the end so yaaayyyy!!

Finally got around watching the Calderwood vs. Calvillo fight (if there wasn't Invicta, I'd drop the shit out of Fight Pass with f'n Viasat deal causing a few day blackout of pretty much all cards in my neck of woods on Fight Pass)

It wasn't as horrible as people claimed. And while I am not going to argue anyone about giving 1st and 3rd to Calvillo, the 30-27 scores were utterly baffling, and JoJo could have easily been given the first (40 secs of slightly winning on the ground vs. 4:20 of slightly winning on the feet). Oh well. 125 next and someone decently ranked for Calvillo...

Are you kidding? In the first round Calvillo had Calderwood's back and threatened a choke then had her in an armbar position only needing to break Calderwood's grip to finish. What constitutes more than slightly winning? Actually winning by submission?

If any round was close it was the second. Calvillo landed a number of good shots to the body and head. Including a left hook which busted Calderwood's nose. Not surprising at least one judge saw it her way.

In the first round Calvillo had Calderwood's back and threatened a choke then had her in an armbar position only needing to break Calderwood's grip to finish. What constitutes more than slightly winning? Actually winning by submission?

It was merely 40 seconds of two attempts at a submission, maybe not enough "only needing" before the time runs out counts as slightly winning for me. But as I said, I'm not going to argue about it, the decision is very understandable. At least the RNC for the final bell was actually legitly on, without "only needing" anything but a bit more time. Anyway...

Besides, attempting a submission against Calderwood and NOT finishing it should probably count as against you, not for you, given how prone to submissions JoJo is :D

It was merely 40 seconds of two attempts at a submission, maybe not enough "only needing" before the time runs out counts as slightly winning for me. But as I said, I'm not going to argue about it, the decision is very understandable. At least the RNC for the final bell was actually legitly on, without "only needing" anything but a bit more time. Anyway...

Besides, attempting a submission against Calderwood and NOT finishing it should probably count as against you, not for you, given how prone to submissions JoJo is :D

lol

Germaine de Randamie vs. Marion Reneau set for UFC Rotterdam. Hope Marion wins.

And no one wants Gadelha or Andrade.

Personally if I was a woman fighting I'd intentionally avoid fighting them too as far as possible (i.e. unless it was for the title and I had to do it), not so much because they would manhandle me as the reasons why they'd manhandle me. It would annoy and frustrate no end to lose for those reasons. I actually support De Runfromme refusing to fight 'Borg for the same reason (though it does make it easier to accept that's in a pointless division so I just find it funny rather than tarnishing/holding up a 'legit' division like 115).

And I suspect a lot of the other women ducking them feel the same way.

Really though, she only attempted those subs with like 10 seconds to go and yet still got them locked on ready to finish. 'Prone to submissions' is one thing, but 'having no defense whatsoever' is another and that's not gonna be a good look at 125 where bigger girls will be taking her down more often.

Personally if I was a woman fighting I'd intentionally avoid fighting them too as far as possible (i.e. unless it was for the title and I had to do it), not so much because they would manhandle me as the reasons why they'd manhandle me. It would annoy and frustrate no end to lose for those reasons. I actually support De Runfromme refusing to fight 'Borg for the same reason (though it does make it easier to accept that's in a pointless division so I just find it funny rather than tarnishing/holding up a 'legit' division like 115).

And I suspect a lot of the other women ducking them feel the same way.
How dare you make such baseless accusations against Claudinha, the GOAT female weight cutter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back