Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even that sure what the new rules are exactly. But still, I dunno. It was just a bad fight. It's not like I think Moroz smashed her or anything. I just felt like even when Carla had her down she still wasn't doing anything but holding her.

I felt like it all just came down Moroz being a tad more effective with her strikes, but even that I don't consider to be some blowout.

And what the fuck happened to Carla on the feet? Every time she gets hit now this worried look comes over her face. It's as if she mentally teleports back to the JJ fight or something. She never used to be like that.

JJ happened to her. Beat her so bad that when the fight is lost in the mists of time generations from now her descendants will still be born with a fear of Polish women and never know why.

IMO number one contender match between Rose and Felice. I can't have Rose getting a Championship fight on a 1 fight win streak(especially with a 6 and 3 record) and that is where it looks like the UFC is heading.

Methinks Felice should have a top ten win or two before a contender match.

I wonder if it's USADA, age, or the no IV rule. Either way, she still needs a grappling and boxing coach. I like Kish vs Moroz.

Felice looks good, but I don't know what's next for her. KK would be fun, but it's not likely based on their recent records. Herrig/Casey might be fun however.

Kish is not a 115 lbs. fighter, and killing herself to make weight kills her performance. Agree that she needs the 125 lbs. class. And better ground game.

IMO number one contender match between Rose and Felice. I can't have Rose getting a Championship fight on a 1 fight win streak(especially with a 6 and 3 record) and that is where it looks like the UFC is heading.
GDR fought Holm for the Featherweight Championship at UFC 208 and she was 6-3 at the time.

GDR fought Holm for the Featherweight Championship at UFC 208 and she was 6-3 at the time.

We should stop counting that fight. Sort of like, if you followed the movies, pretending Highlander 2 never happened.

We should stop counting that fight. Sort of like, if you followed the movies, pretending Highlander 2 never happened.
I know I know, just pointing out the fact that people have fought for titles with not many fights on their records in the past ;)

When two fighters fought for a vacant title one class up? That fight, and the joke of a "division," can't be compared to 115.

Methinks Felice should have a top ten win or two before a contender match.

It's amazing how hyped fighters get when they win and how shit upon when they lose.

Giving Herrig a top 5 fight right now is a little premature, I think.
Who else at 115 has a better claim to a contender fight than Rose and Felice? The only other person I could come up with is Claudia and she just fought Joanna. Plus I want some new match ups for Joanna before she moves up to 125.

Who else at 115 has a better claim to a contender fight than Rose and Felice? The only other person I could come up with is Claudia and she just fought Joanna. Plus I want some new match ups for Joanna before she moves up to 125.

Rose is out of the picture, she already fought her contender fight against Waterson and will now fight Joanna.

You also forgot about Markos, who is ranked over Herrig and is coming of a win.

Rose is out of the picture, she already fought her contender fight against Waterson and will now fight Joanna.

You also forgot about Markos, who is ranked over Herrig and is coming of a win.
I don't agree with Rose being out of the picture. She is on a 1 fight win streak over Waterson with a record of (6-3). Randa is on a 1 fight win streak and alternate wins and losses since she has been in the UFC. Felice is on a 3 fight win streak(I think most in the division) while also taking out 2 undefeated fighters. She has a better case for a contender fight fight than anyone else in the division.

I love this thread because we actually debate and talk about WMMA without the drama like other places.

Wouldn't be mad if UFC gave it to Herrig over Rose. Unless a clear contender shows up, these next few fights for Joanna feel like a placeholder while we wait for flyweight anyway.

I love this thread because we actually debate and talk about WMMA without the drama like other places.

The UG thread is something...

Another good performance by Felice, Kish is physically strong but the ground game of Felice was superior. I was surprised to see Kish escape that RNC.

Is it just me or does Muroz have ineffective striking? Has last couple of performances haven't lived up to the promise she showed early. Carla avoided any major strikes and did a good job in securing takedowns.

Moroz was always totally overhyped. She got a win against a calderwood that didn't show and then what, a win over Christina stancaeu? She was never top ten, ever.

Yeah, Moroz has looked progressively worse every fight, almost impressively so.

Not even that sure what the new rules are exactly. But still, I dunno. It was just a bad fight. It's not like I think Moroz smashed her or anything. I just felt like even when Carla had her down she still wasn't doing anything but holding her.
The new rules don't reward you for holding/takedowns that don't do anything as much as the old rules. So those positions Moroz & Carla were in were likely stalemates since nothing happened despite the takedowns. Aggression is also scored more too I believe. They're pretty much trying to make the rules more "fan friendly"...

But the fight was under the old so it's whatever.

And what the fuck happened to Carla on the feet?
hqdefault.jpg

Felice hasn't even beaten anyone in the top 10. Someone in there should be her next opponent. Kish also should have been on a two fight losing streak.

Kish is not a 115 lbs. fighter, and killing herself to make weight kills her performance. Agree that she needs the 125 lbs. class. And better ground game.
Surely she'll go up once the division is made. Or maybe even get on TUF....? Too late...?

When two fighters fought for a vacant title one class up? That fight, and the joke of a "division," can't be compared to 115.
It's pretty much the same thing as Jojo vs Val at 125 if ya ask me. Winner just got a prize instead...lol.

{<redford}

Wouldn't be mad if UFC gave it to Herrig over Rose
455783.jpg

Moroz was always totally overhyped. She got a win against a calderwood that didn't show and then what, a win over Christina stancaeu? She was never top ten, ever.
Yep. Stanciu arguably won that one too.

THe Moroz vs. Taylor fight- where Moroz basically battered the air, really convinced me that she needed a lot of work in terms of the striking game.

She's a work in progress, but she definitely hasn't been able to capitalize on the initial promise from that big upset over JoJo up to this point.

Carla has her limitations but she is still a solid fighter in the division.

Maybe do Randa vs. Felice II. Randa is coming off a big win over an legitimate opponent and she made quick work of Felice on TUF. I'm sure that's a loss Felice would like to avenge and there's built-in beef there with the whole bullying thing plus Felice's best friend losing to Randa last time out.

The winner of that fight would be in a prime position to be in a title eliminator. You can look at the win-lose nature of Randa's record and the fact that Felice still has a bit of work to do, but the division needs contenders and the victor of that fight would be in a great spot.

Esparza vs. Karate Hottie sounds good, but part of me wants to see Carla vs. Claudia. They were supposed to fight before. They had their war of words and the UFC isn't clamoring for either of them to get the title shot so you don't have much to lose in the way of killing a contender.

Herrig has done quite well her two last fights out but Kish is tough as hell. Her gutting through that RNC was something else. Was sure the fight was done there.

Also makes me feel that, given Herrig's clear improvements, Grasso really doesn't have anything to be ashamed of. Herrig was all over Kish, a physically strong opponent, in the grappling, but Grasso negated a lot of that and was never put into a really bad spot. Herrig beat her predominantly in the standup.

If I was matchmaker:

JoJed vs Rose
Gadelha vs Andrade
Karolina vs Carla
Randa vs Waterson
Casey vs Herrig
Moroz vs JAG
PVZ vs Jojo/Calvillo loser

Just checking to see if @SeverianB is till breathing!

UFC Strawweight Michelle Waterson the Latest Fighter to Grace ESPN The Magazine’s ‘Body Issue’
By Jordan Breen Jun 26, 2017​

Another notable mixed martial artist is stripping down for ESPN The Magazine's “Body Issue” ... and picking up a sword.

Ultimate Fighting Championship strawweight Michelle Waterson will appear in the forthcoming 2017 edition of the annual “Body Issue,” the Worldwide Leader announced on Sunday. “The Karate Hottie” will share the pages of the periodical with 22 other athletes, including the National Football League's Julian Edelman and Ezekiel Elliott, Major League Baseball's Javier Baez, San Jose Sharks teammates Brent Burns and Joe Thornton of the National Hockey League and the National Basketball Association's Isaiah Thomas.

The annual release focuses on pictorials of various athletes in the nude. The 2017 preview video released by ESPN shows Waterson in the buff on a rocky shoreline, posing with a sword.

The 31-year-old Waterson, 14-5 as a pro fighter, is just the latest in a line of fighters to forego their clothes for the publication. In 2010, featherweight star “Cyborg” Cristiane Justino and her then-husband “Cyborg” Evangelista Santos posed together, while in 2012, former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey was the year's cover athlete. Former UFC champions Jon Jones and Miesha Tate have also made past appearances and last year, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor posed was featured.

The former Invicta Fighting Championships atomweight queen, Waterson lost her 105-pound title in an upset to Brazil's Herica Tiburcio in December 2014. The Jackson-Wink MMA product then bumped up to 115 pounds and rebounded, opening her UFC career with consecutive wins over Angela Magana and Paige VanZant. In her last outing this past April at UFC on Fox 24, Waterson was choked out in the second round by Rose Namajunas.

The 2017 “Body Issue” will be released July 7, but athlete photos, interviews and videos will appear on ESPN.com beginning July 5.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...to-Grace-ESPN-The-Magazines-Body-Issue-123881

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back