Official Women's Division Discussion #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barb Honchack is about as entertaining as Ben Askren she could kill the division before it starts.

A dream come true...
until Dana announces that the other coach will be Angela Magana... mwa ha ha!

I can confirm 33 of the 46 who were there for TUF tryouts. Two confirmed out of the running. This will probably answer a lot of your questions

https://wombatsports.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/tuf-26-who-came-what-happened-and-whats-next/
Karine Gevorgyan is a decent prospect who put up a good fight against Veronica Macedo at 138 lbs.

Also, good to see Kali "Pop Tart" Robbins on the list. It was a shame she missed weight against Jolie Esquibel at Invicta but I believe she'll do well at 125 and TUF.

Gabby Romero is another new one to pay attention to with great grappling and bjj game.

Last edited:
Two matches announced for the Rizin July 30th card

King Reina vs. Lei'd Tapa

Cassie Robb vs. Miyuu Yamamoto

The Rizin 8 woman grand prix will start in October. RENA already announced for it. If Miyuu wins her upcoming US bout and then her bout against Robb she will be in the GP.

DAkZcH6XUAAKERg.jpg DAkZW5FXsAApb9Q.jpg

Two matches announced for the Rizin July 30th card

King Reina vs. Lei'd Tapa

Cassie Robb vs. Miyuu Yamamoto

The Rizin 8 woman grand prix will start in October. RENA already announced for it. If Miyuu wins her upcoming US bout and then her bout against Robb she will be in the GP.

View attachment 231801 View attachment 231803

Does Grand Prix mean "tournament"? Quite a bit of weight difference between Cassie Robb and L'aidy Tapa

Does Grand Prix mean "tournament"? Quite a bit of weight difference between Cassie Robb and L'aidy Tapa
It's gonna be around RENA's weight, so Tapa won't be in it. It's starting in October, not the upcoming Rizin event.

?? One is an extreme wrestler, the other is a boxer. Don't see a similarity.

Maybe you're mixing someone up? Askren is a famous wrestler and Honchack isn't a boxer either, she's a 'generic MMA fighter' with a grappling heavy approach. Her last fight was 5 rounds of brutal (for the fans) wall and stall against an opponent people were complaining beforehand was too outmatched and she would squash quickly. The worst match in Invicta history to be sure. At least Askren finishes the cans he's fed.

She's getting a nice big push. I remember CNN doing a story on her recently too.
Yeh, can kinda understand the north American press, her being north American, or Asian media etc.

Just quite surprised to see fairly high brow English media (and it was actually a featured story in the sports section on the app, so one of the top 3 sports stories in the entire sports section - outside only soccer which has a separate section) covering her.

Its akin to the new York Times featuring a story on Huddersfield towns reserve goalkeeper

scandinavian mma.......even the ref is good lookin

Last edited:

“I get some of that, but I also don’t really like to explain myself,” Honchak said. “And I don’t necessarily feel like I need to. I don’t feel like I really have a simple answer. People want a simple answer, like, ‘Oh I had a big injury.’ I did have a bit of an injury, but that’s not the end of it. I don’t really have a simple, easy answer. I’ve thought about putting statements out or stuff like that, but every time I’ve gone to write something it just doesn’t cover it.”

Come on man, a simple update would've sufficed as opposed to leaving us all in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back