~*Official Voting for S&P's Team Summer Competition*~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vote for Deadlift!
Deadlift needs to win over squat!
Vote Deadlift today!

(negative campaigning begins)

Deadlifts don't have enough experience to lead S&P to the strength gains our forum needs!

Deadlifts are all style and no substance!

Deadlifts failed to renounce their affiliation with upright rows!

SQUATS 2008 -- GAINS WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

(negative campaigning begins)

Deadlifts don't have enough experience to lead S&P to the strength gains our forum needs!

Deadlifts are all style and no substance!

Deadlifts failed to renounce their affiliation with upright rows!

SQUATS 2008 -- GAINS WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

I lol`d, smear campaign.

Clearly squats can not be trusted.

Squats say they are deep and true, when all the time they are getting high!

How can squats be trusted? Even when they are deep they are Ass-to-grass! Saying you didn't inhale is not enough!

Deadlifts in 2008! No new taxes! Read my lips!

(and now, the swiftboating...)

Black screen

Announcer

"Deadlifts would like you to think they're a great lift. But when you get to know them, the picture changes..."

Archival footage shows people working out in commercial gym

Voiceover begins

"My name is Concentration Curl. Beginning in 1966, I was present at almost every commercial gym and bodybuilding studio in the country, every day of the year. How often did I see Deadlifts? Not very often."

Interview footage with Concrentration Curl

"I believe Deadlifts are misrepresenting themselves. Nobody does Deadlifts. Not that I saw."

Archival footage of catastrophic Deadlift accidents

Voiceover begins

"I'm Lat Pulldown. I've seen Deadlifts in action. Deadlifts can mess up your back bad."

Interview footage of Lat Pulldown

"Shoot, you start messing with Deadlifts, you might as well put a downpayment on a Rascal today. 'Cause it's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN you're gonna get hurt."

Archival footage of plate after plate being loaded onto barbell

Voiceover begins

"I'm Pec Deck. Who is Deadlifts trying to impress, with all those heavy plates and messy chalk, and grunting and slamming noises?"

Interview footage of Pec Deck

"To lead, you need to command respect. Nobody cares about back development. Nobody."

Slow-motion footage of 45-pound plate falling off the end of an overcrowded Oly bar, and crashing to the floor in a cloud of chalk dust.

Announcer

"Deadlifts says they're the right choice. All the gym insiders beg to differ."

DEADLIFTS. WRONG FOR S&P. WRONG FOR THE SUMMER COMPETITION. JUST PLAIN WRONG.

I don't want to spoil the fun of smear campaigns, but I really think the poll shows the obvious answer. We should do both lifts.. Every team should have 4 people.

0-165 lbs
165-180 lbs
180-200 lbs
200+ lbs

For the biggest total improvement in both deadlift and squat. We can have as many teams as we have people that want to enter..

Flak - that is too funny!

All we need now is Bench Press as the crazy 3rd party cadidate...

I don't want to spoil the fun of smear campaigns, but I really think the poll shows the obvious answer. We should do both lifts.. Every team should have 4 people.

0-165 lbs
165-180 lbs
180-200 lbs
200+ lbs

For the biggest total improvement in both deadlift and squat. We can have as many teams as we have people that want to enter..

That's just making the contest more confusing that it needs to be. Lighter lifters have somewhat of an advantage already because of the fact that lighter lifers usually tend to be NEWER lifters...thus making gains quicker anyway. And, as you may recall, this is about who makes the most IMPROVEMENT...not the highest total necessarily. Four people per team is fine with me, but dividing them by weight class is only going to delay the start of the contest.

I'll make the draft thread tomorrow evening.

I'm tempted now just to make the contest by how much the team ups their TOTAL...not just one or two lifts.

We'll see.

0-165 lbs
165-180 lbs
180-200 lbs
200+ lbs

That's just making the contest more confusing that it needs to be. Lighter lifters have somewhat of an advantage already because of the fact that lighter lifers usually tend to be NEWER lifters...thus making gains quicker anyway. And, as you may recall, this is about who makes the most IMPROVEMENT...not the highest total necessarily. Four people per team is fine with me, but dividing them by weight class is only going to delay the start of the contest.

I'm tempted now just to make the contest by how much the team ups their TOTAL...not just one or two lifts.

We'll see.

We'll see.

The suggestions previously were much more complicated. Also, it isn't about dividing weight classes. It is about making sure each person on each team is similar in weight. If there is a team with 4 150 lb people and a team with 4 200 lb people, the 150 lb people are nearly guaranteed to win. As you said, being light is an unfair advantage.

We're on the same page about advantages and such. I realize it is about the improvement. That is why I mentioned it. To be honest, I just can't see a seasoned veteran making equal gains in weight over me in just about any lift. I've only been lifting about a year or so, and have tons of easy gains still to make. Most people here my weight are even weaker, which means they have even more potential..

The suggestions previously were much more complicated. Also, it isn't about dividing weight classes. It is about making sure each person on each team is similar in weight. If there is a team with 4 150 lb people and a team with 4 200 lb people, the 150 lb people are nearly guaranteed to win. As you said, being light is an unfair advantage.

We're on the same page about advantages and such. I realize it is about the improvement. That is why I mentioned it. To be honest, I just can't see a seasoned veteran making equal gains in weight over me in just about any lift. I've only been lifting about a year or so, and have tons of easy gains still to make. Most people here my weight are even weaker, which means they have even more potential..

Sure, they might have more potential, but there is usually a reason why they only weigh 150 and can only squat 225. They don't have the same dedication to eat and lift as the guy who weighs 200 and squats 400. If they dedicate themselves and train as hard as the bigger and stronger guy, they have the potential to outpace the better lifter when it comes to gains, but in my experience, contests on the internet don't do much to externally motivate those who have low internal motivation.

^^Wtf I totally disagree with the above statement. This also isn't a powerlifting forum, so obviously everyone's goals are not the same...

^^Wtf I totally disagree with the above statement. This also isn't a powerlifting forum, so obviously everyone's goals are not the same...

If somebody has different goals and devotes a large portion of their training to conditioning or training for a martial art and does not prioritize eating a caloric surplus, then they do not have the same dedication to lifting and eating as a guy who is focused on those things.

It's whatever to me. I'm in the boat of people with an advantage. This isn't a knock against the strong people, but I know they wont be happy in a few months when their squat goes from 480-500 lbs, while all the lightweights go from 250-315, which is still a pansy squat.

Annonouncer: "The DL has taken the lead from the squat. Seems like the questionable campaign the squatter had run recentlly backfired on them."

The DL on the topic: "I never had a doubt. I'm da king of da exercises. Squat is only queen. Makes her my bitch. Bitches don't win, ya know?"

Squats fire flak as campaign manager, tell reporters "that television commercial was done without my knowledge or approval, and it did not represent my feelings about Deadlifts, which are a strong exercise that have served S&P honorably for many years. flak and I part company as friends, and I wish him success at his new job, as an Internet guitar snob."

This just in, S&P senior moderator Lusst signed as campaign adviser to Squats.

New slogan, "vote Squats because Lusst said to, dammit" to be distributed to undecided voters via Easongram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back