Not open for further replies.

vkram

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
UFC on Fox 18 - Heavyweight 3 rounds - Newark, New Jersey - Fox
Sat 1/30 1201 Josh Barnett -185 o2½ +110
11:00PM 1202 Ben Rothwell +145 u2½ -150

UFC 196 - Welterweight 3 rounds - MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, Nevada - PPV
Sat 2/6 1101 Stephen Thompson +265 o2½ -140
11:30PM 1102 Johny Hendricks -385 u2½ +100

Hrmmm

O2.5 Hendricks wonderboy?
I like the O 2.5 too, Hendricks probably just wrestle fucks him.

I like the O 2.5 too, Hendricks probably just wrestle fucks him.

Maybe. But Wonderboy has shown improved tdd and scrambling ability in recent fights. Add to it Hendricks weight cutting issues, the questions some people have raised about his commitment to fighting, etc. and I think I like WB for a little play as a dog here. You have to figure counter wrestling will be his primary focus, and he's an electric striker that throws shots from all angles. Yes, I favor Hendricks (esp in a 3 rounder) but at these odds I think it's 100% dog or pass. I could see making a decent sized bet on the o 2.5 and a small hedge on WB by KO/TKO too. I really don't think Hendricks stops him. I know Johnny has that big left hand but if it's a striking match I think WB is going to light him up.

Maybe. But Wonderboy has shown improved tdd and scrambling ability in recent fights. Add to it Hendricks weight cutting issues, the questions some people have raised about his commitment to fighting, etc. and I think I like WB for a little play as a dog here. You have to figure counter wrestling will be his primary focus, and he's an electric striker that throws shots from all angles. Yes, I favor Hendricks (esp in a 3 rounder) but at these odds I think it's 100% dog or pass. I could see making a decent sized bet on the o 2.5 and a small hedge on WB by KO/TKO too. I really don't think Hendricks stops him. I know Johnny has that big left hand but if it's a striking match I think WB is going to light him up.
Oh I definitely agree with you, I didn't mean that I was liking the bet on Hendricks, I meant that I liked the O 2.5 rounds because the most likely scenario is Hendricks grinding Wonderboy out. Neither man has been finished so I think that the odds on O 2.5 rounds and maybe fight goes to a decision are great.

i don't think wonderboy should be a +250 to anybody in the division the guy is on another level when it comes to striking and hes most likely catching up with the wrestling working with Weidman and the gang. if I remember correctly he used it against jake when he was rocked

i don't think wonderboy should be a +250 to anybody in the division the guy is on another level when it comes to striking and hes most likely catching up with the wrestling working with Weidman and the gang. if I remember correctly he used it against jake when he was rocked

I know it seems weird to see Wonderboy as big dog to anyone but I am a bit scared of this matchup. I can see big rig laying on him for 3 rounds or pressing him up on the cage.

Also the fear of tds will shut down a lot of Wonderboy's kicking game. I dunno I don't like it smells like a trap.

I know it seems weird to see Wonderboy as big dog to anyone but I am a bit scared of this matchup. I can see big rig laying on him for 3 rounds or pressing him up on the cage.

Also the fear of tds will shut down a lot of Wonderboy's kicking game. I dunno I don't like it smells like a trap.
yeah I hear you big rig is great at burying his head in crotches but to shutdown wonderboys kicking game he will have to put a lot of pressure on him and get his back against the cage often. I could see wonderboy using his good movement and angles to make Hendricks pay for being over aggressive

yeah I hear you big rig is great at burying his head in crotches but to shutdown wonderboys kicking game he will have to put a lot of pressure on him and get his back against the cage often. I could see wonderboy using his good movement and angles to make Hendricks pay for being over aggressive

I really like WB and at these odds the value is with him IMO. His stand up is excellent his line of -225 against Ellenberger was one of my best lines from last year.

Regarding Thompson vs Hendricks, if Johny makes weight and looks pretty good doing so I will use him as parlay fodder over stabbing WB. Hendricks is a lot better. Its kind of weird seeing a former champion whos not out of his prime be so under rated lol the skill difference between their ground games is much wider than the standup. Johny did well striking with Condit and Lawler, two of of the best there is in that department. His style and being a southpaw also negates a lot of Wonderboy's weapons, and I don't see the footwork from WB to avoid Hendricks exploding into close proximity.

Regarding Thompson vs Hendricks, if Johny makes weight and looks pretty good doing so I will use him as parlay fodder over stabbing WB. Hendricks is a lot better. Its kind of weird seeing a former champion whos not out of his prime be so under rated lol the skill difference between their ground games is much wider than the standup. Johny did well striking with Condit and Lawler, two of of the best there is in that department. His style and being a southpaw also negates a lot of Wonderboy's weapons, and I don't see the footwork from WB to avoid Hendricks exploding into close proximity.
Agree 100%. The guy is a beast.

EDIT: My only concern is that he knows that some fans find him boring which could potentially make him trade in the standup more than necessary. If he fights to his strenghts it should be an easy fight for him.

Agree 100%. The guy is a beast.

EDIT: My only concern is that he knows that some fans find him boring which could potentially make him trade in the standup more than necessary. If he fights to his strenghts it should be an easy fight for him.
He doesn't strike me as the type to give a fuck about us fans lol and to be frank i'm not too concerned with the stand up. I would not in the least be surprised if Hendricks got the better of the striking or even if he KOd WB.

wonderboy fights switch stance so fluently, I don't think being southpaw will make much of a difference he will know what tools to use from either stance with his experience and skill. hes not really being underrated when hes -300 over an amazing fighter in wonderboy

wonderboy fights switch stance so fluently, I don't think being southpaw will make much of a difference he will know what tools to use from either stance with his experience and skill. hes not really being underrated when hes -300 over an amazing fighter in wonderboy
Need to watch more tape but all of the spinning shit comes from orthodox stance with the right leg. His boxing is not better than Hendricks, and its going to take more than switching stances to change that, especially when I can't recall him shifting. If you just switch stances without shifting it makes it easier for a guy like Hendrick's who gets a good read on opponents during a fight to do so.

I didn't mean by bookmakers but more so bettors. Could be wrong, but I didn't see anyone else say they are on Hendricks, many in here want to take a stab at WB's odds

Need to watch more tape but all of the spinning shit comes from orthodox stance with the right leg. His boxing is not better than Hendricks, and its going to take more than switching stances to change that, especially when I can't recall him shifting. If you just switch stances without shifting it makes it easier for a guy like Hendrick's who gets a good read on opponents during a fight to do so.

I didn't mean by bookmakers but more so bettors. Could be wrong, but I didn't see anyone else say they are on Hendricks, many in here want to take a stab at WB's odds
u don't recall it because that's how smooth he is :D I wouldn't say Hendricks has betting boxing his striking is mainly successful because of his wrestling threat and his beast chin. I wouldn't say hes a better boxer though but yeah its a hard fight for both guys in my opinion

u don't recall it because that's how smooth he is :D I wouldn't say Hendricks has betting boxing his striking is mainly successful because of his wrestling threat and his beast chin. I wouldn't say hes a better boxer though but yeah its a hard fight for both guys in my opinion
I'm honestly not that impressed by Wonderboy's boxing. His kicks are a different story, and I reserve the right to change my opinion upon tape watching lol but Ellenberger cracked him with his only real weapon (the overhand right) and if i'm not mistaken Cote won a round just by stifling WB's offense with fundamental, tactical boxing

Conversely, Hendricks has never been outclassed on the feet. Sure the threat of the takedown helps with that, but this is MMA so of course it will lol especially when you know how to plant seeds in the opponents head of that threat to open up strikes like Johny can.

I'm honestly not that impressed by Wonderboy's boxing. His kicks are a different story, and I reserve the right to change my opinion upon tape watching lol but Ellenberger cracked him with his only real weapon (the overhand right) and if i'm not mistaken Cote won a round just by stifling WB's offense with fundamental, tactical boxing

Conversely, Hendricks has never been outclassed on the feet. Sure the threat of the takedown helps with that, but this is MMA so of course it will lol especially when you know how to plant seeds in the opponents head of that threat to open up strikes like Johny can.
I gotta rewatch Hendricks last fights for sure but didn't he start burying his head between robbies legs because he was getting outclassed? all I remember was him burying his head haha. yeah jake cracked him but he recovered fast and trashed him.

I gotta rewatch Hendricks last fights for sure but didn't he start burying his head between robbies legs because he was getting outclassed? all I remember was him burying his head haha. yeah jake cracked him but he recovered fast and trashed him.
No he started doing that cause hes a fatboy, had a horrible weight cut and was gassing in the championship rounds hard.

Before that, Johny's striking was EXCELLENT. I think it was round 3? but there was a round he dominated Robbie standing, which is no small feat.

No he started doing that cause hes a fatboy, had a horrible weight cut and was gassing in the championship rounds hard.

Before that, Johny's striking was EXCELLENT. I think it was round 3? but there was a round he dominated Robbie standing, which is no small feat.
yeah no doubt although it seems that Robbie takes rds off in championship fights recently. il watch more tape on both guys and give it more thought. on a side note wonderboy seems more likely to have improved in this time while johny is getting in the restaurant biz and missing weight

Robbie's activity level in certain rounds is nonexistant, and that was one of them. When Robbie takes a round off, he TAKES A ROUND OFF.

Hendricks has great power and solid but unspectacular boxing. His overall striking game is multiple steps below Wonderboy imo. I'd be pretty stunned if Johnny stands for very long before shooting.

Wonderboy's boxing is way better than Hendricks'. It will be target practice for him on the feet. I just have no confidence that he'll be able to keep it there.

Official for UFC 196, Feb 16.

11256.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back