official S-Town podcast thread (Serial fans GTFIH)

Just finished episode 2, and it was good enough that there's no way I'm missing episode 3 now.

Glad I don't have to listen to that redneck hipster anymore

Okay so I finished episode I and all I can say is lower your expectations. It doesn't hook you from the start like Serial or Making a Murderer.

In fact, the main character in the episode, "Jon" is such a douchebag I could barely stand to listen to him for 40 minutes. He's a total redneck hipster. Thick southern accent, but always wants the attention to be on him, wants everyone to know how hard his life is, and how much smarter he is than everyone else. He tries to use big words or drop some uncommon knowledge that he memorized.

I started suspecting right from the start that Jon made up this whole murder story just to get attention. He wanted a reporter from his favorite radio show to come down and see how fascinating of a character he is, and this reporter was playing right into his hands. Thankfully, the reporter by the end of the episode at least FINALLY acknowledges the fact that Jon may be lying, and that he's definitely an attention whore. If not for that one glimmer of hope I don't think I would continue listening.

Not much of a spoiler here so I'm not going to tag it, but I listened to ep 1 earlier tonight. My thoughts were pretty similar to yours.

Having grown up in the South--though in a city, not some small town--Jon was annoying the shit out of me with the way he was making it out like he's this King Genius living among a bunch of retarded people. He sounds like he probably really is an intelligent person, but like you say, clearly also an attention whore.

It will be interesting to see where the show goes from here, but I agree that without the last few minutes of the episode I might be reluctant to keep going.

I just finished chapter 2 and the cliffhanger is what will keep me listening.

It was hilarious when John said he had a short little dick, but a pretty good aim. He also gave a shout out to my state when he said the KKK were recruiting children.

I think John wanted to fuck Tyler.

I think John wanted to fuck Tyler.

Lolwut? C'mon, man. There's nothing at all in the story to get you to that conclusion.

It seems like any time these days an adult shows some concern over someone younger than them the conclusion so many people jump to is that it's sexual. That's retarded.

Lolwut? C'mon, man. There's nothing at all in the story to get you to that conclusion.

It seems like any time these days an adult shows some concern over someone younger than them the conclusion so many people jump to is that it's sexual. That's retarded.

If John didn't die I think it had the potential for a great love story. C'mon, I'm bullshitting around...

I would like to see your man Nic Cage play John B in a movie though.

Finished listening to this series today and I loved it. What a great story, beautifully told.

I'm in the middle of episode 4 and I'm finally at a point where i don't hate Jon anymore.

I like the part where they talk to the other heurologist and he conveys Jon's genius with old clocks. That is impressive to me because those clocks are far more complex than the average person realizes.

He's still an annoying attention whore but i respect him more.

also I'm starting to strongly suspect that jon intended for this whole story to happen this way. He didn't call the reporter to solve a murder, he just wanted a reporter to do a story about his life, specially the end of it. So the world would remember and appreciate him.

I'm in the middle of episode 4 and I'm finally at a point where i don't hate Jon anymore.

I like the part where they talk to the other heurologist and he conveys Jon's genius with old clocks. That is impressive to me because those clocks are far more complex than the average person realizes.

also I'm starting to strongly suspect that jon intended for this whole story to happen this way. He didn't call the reporter to solve a murder, he just wanted a reporter to do a story about his life, specially the end of it. So the world would remember and appreciate him.

Agreed on the spoiler, that's what I was thinking.

Sweet thanks. Starting now because I just finished binging Up & Vanished.

Being from an area not too far away from the case, I can appreciate Jon's personality a little more. He is annoying and rambles but he also says some funny stuff. I think he's got a case of being too smart for his own good going on. And stuck in the middle of a bunch of dummies. That'll cause you to act a little strange.

Just finished the final episode.

As much as i hated Jon in the beginning, by the end i found him fascinating.

He's still an attention whore who wanted the world to know how smart and interesting he is, but hell at the end of it all he did turn out to be smart and interesting to me so i can't hate on him too much.

Still not as good as serial but it has a better ending, which isn't hard to do since serial didn't really have an ending at all.

Overall I'm glad i listened.

Mercury poisoning? Man that's so tragic. Something so simple literally ruined his life and made him behave in a way that drove all his friends away. He was so smart, did he not know what it would do to him? He never recognized the symptoms when it was happening? It's so strange that a guy who researched everything could miss such an important detail.

Last edited:

I just finished ep 4 myself. It's obvious that Jon is very intelligent. It just goes to show you that just because you talk like a hick or come from an impoverished culture, that doesn't mean your dumb.

That's an interesting idea and you could be right. But if that's the case, he had to be playing the LONG game because it sounds like the reporter knew Jon for at least a few years.

Even though not a lot happens in the end, it's still a pretty interesting series. He was a weird guy but very intelligent.

I just finished this. It was very good. I liked Jon the whole time. What a character!

The true star of the show

God damn riiight

Back