Official playing old games thread

I also played through "Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers" yesterday.

I know I beat that game as a kid and thought it was fun. I was surprised at how easy it was if you just run by all the enemies or wait for them to go by. There's really no need to collect anything or to kill very many foes. GOOD GAME

Try Rambo for NES. I got this game along with Punch Out and Super Mario/Duck Hunt, for Christmas in 1988 and I didn't beat it until 1995. It's known by most as a shitty game, but it is still one of my favorites.

I beat both Robin Hood and Rambo back when they were new and I was a kid. Robin Hood was actually pretty fun at the time. I rented it a few times from Blockbuster and remember playing it quite a bit. I don't remember it being terribly hard to beat.

Rambo on the other hand, I barely remember anything about gameplay-wise. Without looking it up, I think the box packaging said it was made by Acclaim, and at the end when you return to the base you start the game from, you can shoot out a kanji symbol at Murdock turning him into a fucking frog. Not sure what that was all about, but yeah. That bit was somewhat memorable at least since I haven't forgotten about it all these years later.

Can you change the title of this thread to THE OFFICIAL NES GAME THREAD

You can change it. Just go to the thread tools drop-down menu located on the top right of your first post and click "Edit Title"

upload_2017-6-28_18-54-9.png

Last edited:
Check out The Guardian Legend. It's like Zelda meets Life Force.

Check out The Guardian Legend. It's like Zelda meets Life Force.

Wow, I've never heard of this game. I started playing it and thought ok this is definitely like Life force, only it's going way too fucking fast. I started getting frustrated by wanted to understand why you said it was also like Zelda. So I kept going and definitely figured it out. What a trippy game.

I beat both Robin Hood and Rambo back when they were new and I was a kid. Robin Hood was actually pretty fun at the time. I rented it a few times from Blockbuster and remember playing it quite a bit. I don't remember it being terribly hard to beat.

Rambo on the other hand, I barely remember anything about gameplay-wise. Without looking it up, I think the box packaging said it was made by Acclaim, and at the end when you return to the base you start the game from, you can shoot out a kanji symbol at Murdock turning him into a fucking frog. Not sure what that was all about, but yeah. That bit was somewhat memorable at least since I haven't forgotten about it all these years later.

I definitely didn't beat this as a kid. If you did, then that's pretty impressive! The most difficult parts I think are when you and your 3 retard friends you have with you are all fighting at the same time against 20 or 30 enemies, and they are just slinging arrows at you the whole time. Actually, even the most basic of enemy battles can cause damage, but I guess there is plenty of fruit and bread laying around that you could be constantly replenishing your health. I was probably just to impatient to do that when I was younger. Or I sucked.

Bionic Commando and Blaster Master are worth getting at as well.

Officials official retro thread lol
LOL, yeah, I noticed that.

Now for the philosophical quagmire...how old does a game have to be to be "retro"? Or is it about polygons? Do we set the cutoff at 64 bits?

I definitely didn't beat this as a kid. If you did, then that's pretty impressive! The most difficult parts I think are when you and your 3 retard friends you have with you are all fighting at the same time against 20 or 30 enemies, and they are just slinging arrows at you the whole time. Actually, even the most basic of enemy battles can cause damage, but I guess there is plenty of fruit and bread laying around that you could be constantly replenishing your health. I was probably just to impatient to do that when I was younger. Or I sucked.

Man, compared to a game like Ghosts n' Goblins Robin Hood was a piece of cake, haha. I only beat that shit like once or twice when I was younger because in addition to how hard it was, you actually had to complete two consecutive playthroughs from beginning to end in the same game. In retrospect it was a little sadistic.

I remember myself and only one of my childhood friends beat Ghosts n' Goblins back in the NES era. If you ever want to be needlessly frustrated, try it out in an emulator sometime.

Bionic Commando and Blaster Master are worth getting at as well.

Bionic Commando was a lot of fun. They released it back on the Microsoft Arcade some years back as well. I bought it and replayed it for a bit on the 360.

Blaster Master was fun too but it had some pretty difficult stages.

Bionic Commando was a lot of fun. They released it back on the Microsoft Arcade some years back as well. I bought it and replayed it for a bit on the 360.

Blaster Master was fun too but it had some pretty difficult stages.

I played the 360 reboot as well. I wish they would do this with more games were they stay true to the original, but update the graphics. The 360 Duck Tales reboot was fun too.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah, I noticed that.

Now for the philosophical quagmire...how old does a game have to be to be "retro"? Or is it about polygons? Do we set the cutoff at 64 bits?

If it were up to me I would say the cutoff should be the 16 bit era. Once the 64 and PSX came about is when (imo) games start feeling modern.

Nightmare on elm street aint a great game but i love the music

I'm itching to replay Dragon Quest 7 or 8. I don't remember finishing either of them. I want to commit to finishing it rather than putting it down and forgetting what I was supposed to do.

Went through Shadow Over Mystara with a couple of sherdoggers a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know why but I like to sit and beat megaman 6 every once in a while. I also remember growing up trying to beat pagemaster on snes. I am pretty sure a friend and I made it to inside the dragon but couldn't find the freaking library card to beat the stage.

How are people playing the games? Do you have the console? RaspberryPi? I currently use a RaspberryPi for everything up to ps1. N64 emulation is trash so might look into buying one of the consoles.

fucking play batman, battletoads, ninja gaiden, fuck it buy an everdrive or emulate and play everything

The TNMT game on the NES was solid. Think it's one of the few NES games I never finished.

The TNMT game on the NES was solid. Think it's one of the few NES games I never finished.

Those blades or whatever those items were are the best weapons to pick up. They shredded through everything.

Back