Official Judo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what it says in the video but according to a book I have it's called ashi-sankaku-gatame.

Which book? cause the video says something different, generally we gotta go to the video since it is japanese especially with kimura in there and the other guy forgot his name.

There is a transcript on the video, for those who can translate it even though its not 100% correct.

Which book? cause the video says something different, generally we gotta go to the video since it is japanese especially with kimura in there and the other guy forgot his name.

There is a transcript on the video, for those who can translate it even though its not 100% correct.
'The A to Z of Judo' by Syd Hoare (8th Dan), he references Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki's book 'Fighting Judo'. Don't forget though, a lot of techniques (especially ground work ones) don't have "official" names.

'The A to Z of Judo' by Syd Hoare (8th Dan), he references Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki's book 'Fighting Judo'. Don't forget though, a lot of techniques (especially ground work ones) don't have "official" names.

Man... I wish Kodokan actually does something about it. All these works of the older dans are being washed away.

Do you mean their books? AFAIK the Kodokan has it's own library, also many universities have judo-related collections.

my coach talks about how his sensei, Dr. Ashida didn't have names for most of the mat work he taught in class/training. or they had their own nickname for it in the club.

my coach talks about how his sensei, Dr. Ashida didn't have names for most of the mat work he taught in class/training. or they had their own nickname for it in the club.

You're not talking about Ashida Kim, right?

It's classified by the Kodokan as Ude-hishigi-hiza-gatame henka, but it's commomnly called sankaku garami.

Don't know what it says in the video but according to a book I have it's called ashi-sankaku-gatame.

can you take a scan/picture of it in the book and it has a picture with it also? scan/picture that too please :)

It's classified by the Kodokan as Ude-hishigi-hiza-gatame henka, but it's commomnly called sankaku garami.

I looked it up and it looks like an ordinary hiza gatame that targets the elbow.

Lol. He is talking about Dr. Sachio Ashida.

Oh lol.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to view the judo olympics online somewhere? The European and world championships were officially streamed bij the IJF, but I haven't seen them make any publicity for an Olympic stream?

Been lurking around some forums lately. Read some stuff about more and more newaza being allowed back in (or more time allowed I should say). Is this really happening or gonna happen?

Been lurking around some forums lately. Read some stuff about more and more newaza being allowed back in (or more time allowed I should say). Is this really happening or gonna happen?

Dunno, when I start competing again in Sept I'll fill you in.

The Olympics will be the big tell before that.

It's not really about formal rules and regulations. There's rumors that refs are just becoming more educated to allow more time. They are the boss after all in a match.

The refs at international and olympic level don't lack for education. Rather they lack a rule structure, which allows them to allow groundwork to play out.

There are currently no announced plans to increase the amount of time allowed for groundwork after the Olympics.

There are, however, announced plans to review the post 2008 rule amendments. Whether that review extends into groundwork remains to be seen.

The refs at international and olympic level don't lack for education. Rather they lack a rule structure, which allows them to allow groundwork to play out.

There are currently no announced plans to increase the amount of time allowed for groundwork after the Olympics.

There are, however, announced plans to review the post 2008 rule amendments. Whether that review extends into groundwork remains to be seen.

Just enough so BJJ doesn't take the light.

Just enough so BJJ doesn't take the light.
The idea that BJJ in some way threatens Judo, exists solely in the heads of North American BJJ-ers.

BJJ isn't even on the radar of the vast majority of Judoka, especially so those who run international Judo.

The idea that BJJ in some way threatens Judo, exists solely in the heads of North American BJJ-ers.

And some close minded "Sensei-Bobs" that don't compete or produce competitive players. Most of the old-school and legit Judoka I know are actually kind of pissed at the lack of newaza time.

bring back leg grabs,and extend time in newaza! hell make one player stand up of there own will before matte'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back