Official Judo Thread

Sporting one of those, post-weight cut? How do you not pass out?

Chinese Jade Egg, my friend. Three of those. Get crazy with the placement, but try to have at least one in your urethra.

Last edited:
I've been watching some judo lately, and was wondering...

Is there a reason you see judoka tape the tips of their fingers?
upload_2018-11-28_23-37-45.png

I've been watching some judo lately, and was wondering...

Is there a reason you see judoka tape the tips of their fingers?
View attachment 479321
It's to protect your fingernails during grip-fighting and prevent them from getting torn off. You'll notice white has his 3rd to 5th finger tips taped, which are the main ones you use to maintain your grip on someone.

It's to protect your fingernails during grip-fighting and prevent them from getting torn off. You'll notice white has his 3rd to 5th finger tips taped, which are the main ones you use to maintain your grip on someone.
It also helps to keep fingers from dislocating.
I have a finger which will consistently refuse to stay in place.
So i tape that traitor, so that he has to stay in position for the fight, even if he doesn't want to.

Member me guise? I got my yellow belt! Love judo. We finally did some light tachiwaza randori and I'm not all that great at it but when you land a semi-decent throw the feel is just unexplainable.

I used to be an Oly lifter in my younger years and executing a well placed throw is like executing a solid clean and jerk/snatch.

Love Judo.

Member me guise? I got my yellow belt! Love judo. We finally did some light tachiwaza randori and I'm not all that great at it but when you land a semi-decent throw the feel is just unexplainable.

I used to be an Oly lifter in my younger years and executing a well placed throw is like executing a solid clean and jerk/snatch.

Love Judo.

Woah. Cool that you actually followed through. I ended up quitting my judo class due to the boredom.

I also used to weightlift - hit a BW snatch and that was that.

Woah. Cool that you actually followed through. I ended up quitting my judo class due to the boredom.

I also used to weightlift - hit a BW snatch and that was that.

Yes sir! I'm not gonna lie but white belt stage is sort of a snooze fest. Mostly to prime the students for safety (break falls etiquette, ect) but man once I became yellow the game changed big time. Waaaaaaaaaaay more of an emphasis on fighting.

Basically the training wheels have come off now.

Yes sir! I'm not gonna lie but white belt stage is sort of a snooze fest. Mostly to prime the students for safety (break falls etiquette, ect) but man once I became yellow the game changed big time. Waaaaaaaaaaay more of an emphasis on fighting.

Basically the training wheels have come off now.
It's good to hear that you're enjoying it! The training wheels are off, but hopefully people are still taking it easy on you. Usually once you start hitting sankyu or so (green in Canada, but varies depending on location), then people will expect you to be able to fall and begin throwing with closer to full force. Just always remember that ukemi is the most important thing, otherwise you will get injured very quickly.

Those who do weightlifting have no say about boredom.

You know on paper weightlifting seems really boring. In real life I enjoyed it - especially the snatch.

It's important to note I'm also asian. For some reason strength sports attract a ton of Asians in socal.

It's good to hear that you're enjoying it! The training wheels are off, but hopefully people are still taking it easy on you. Usually once you start hitting sankyu or so (green in Canada, but varies depending on location), then people will expect you to be able to fall and begin throwing with closer to full force. Just always remember that ukemi is the most important thing, otherwise you will get injured very quickly.
Yes I forgot to mention that the randori for tachiwaza was a bit more on the lighter side. All the yellow belts were paired up with the highest belts possible, in my case I was with the head instructor and he said "I'm going to give you 50% resistance while we move and you try to throw me". He did also try to throw me as well but he never went crazy hard, he mostly tried to reverse my attempts.

If classes keep going this way I'm gonna be hooked I'm telling you.

For you guys that help coach, how well are the lower belts ( below brown) able to execute new throws in randori? Let's say they drill a osotogari varation for several weeks, do you expect them to hit that in randori against another colored belt?

Back