Official Judo Thread

Two years removed the Olympics I think you can pull the plug (and the pin) from this thread.

I don't really know judo rules well, why doe Garrigos get a penalty from this sequence?

i think it must've been for the arm across the leg during the throw? otherwise i have no idea. i didn't see anything on the ground. without seeing the signal it's hard to know what else to look for.

Agreed with RJ. I can't think of anything else it may have been. At first I thought he'd grapevined the leg, but repeated viewings showed he didn't.

They'd call matte right after.
Maybe shoulder lock?

Glad it's not immediately obvious even to people who know the rules :D

My regular (MMA) gym moved a bit further away, so considering supplementing my practice with some Judo. Just so happens I live real close to an absolute beast judo-ka's gym (olympic silver medalist). Gonna go check it out next week, really looking forward to it.

Glad it's not immediately obvious even to people who know the rules :D

My regular (MMA) gym moved a bit further away, so considering supplementing my practice with some Judo. Just so happens I live real close to an absolute beast judo-ka's gym (olympic silver medalist). Gonna go check it out next week, really looking forward to it.
Nice one! Keep us updated on your training.

Damn, Hifumi Abe got the silver medal and lost to Joshihiro Maruyama (his teammate). Good to see Maruyama get gold though, he has got silver medals and this will be his biggest gold, at one of Judo's premier tournaments.

Abe beat Maruyama at last year's Tokyo Grand slam

Some nice no gi judo from Denis Zenikov

What's that I see at 7:30?

#TeGurmaEverything #TeGurumaCuresCancer

What is your opinion on Zenikov? He looks like an absolute beast and is my favourite judo dude on the webz right now.

i was so happy to see that yoko tomoe nage because we spent 3-4 practices working on it last month!

the IJF's streaming website is amazing. it's super intuitive going through the brackets and whoever thought up timestamping the scores and hyperlinking them to that spot in the video deserves a medal.

Nice one! Keep us updated on your training.
Went last week and absolutely loved it, though I'm currently stuck nursing a non-judo injury so will be a couple of weeks before I can go back :(

Got a question about weight categories for judo, is it really a 9kg gap between -81 and -90kg? Seems so big... And weigh-in is with the gi right, so would need to be 79kg ish?
79 is pretty doable for me but would have loved a like 84kg category as I always felt a bit more fragile below 80 kg.

If judo weigh-ins are without gi then 81 kg is pretty perfect.

Last edited:
I like him. He got dat sweet, sweet Euro stylez

I find that "Euro style" notion a bit weird. I train judo in Germany and have also trained with quite a few French guys.

Their judo looks nothing like Zenikov's judo, which I personally would associate with the Russian style.

Went last week and absolutely loved it, though I'm currently stuck nursing a non-judo injury so will be a couple of weeks before I can go back :(

Got a question about weight categories for judo, is it really a 9kg gap between -81 and -90kg? Seems so big... And weigh-in is with the gi right, so would need to be 79kg ish?
79 is pretty doable for me but would have loved a like 84kg category as I always felt a bit more fragile below 80 kg.

If judo weigh-ins are without gi then 81 kg is pretty perfect.
Without the gi, my friend!

I find that "Euro style" notion a bit weird. I train judo in Germany and have also trained with quite a few French guys.

Their judo looks nothing like Zenikov's judo, which I personally would associate with the Russian style.

Russia make glorious žudo. All other countries like anus prostitute.

Last edited:
Back