Official Judo Thread

^ no sprung floors, huh? Fuck that noise.

I turned 40 a while back and thought I still had my judo conditioning (which is stupid given the minimal amount of judo I do now, having mostly swapped to bjj and wrestling).

Then I acted as throwing dummy for some beginners practicing uchimata.

I was done after about 5.

How the fuck I did 20 years of judo I'll never know. Nah actually that's not true; the only reason I could was the liberal use of crash mats.

Interestingly, the wrestling place has sprung floors.

It's heaven compared to tatami on concrete.

I assume the end tech means what the uchi-komi is. As in, for example with osoto gari, when you do the upper body lifting motion, step in with the reap without making contact, and going down the length of the mat with your partner.

If that action from the uchi komi is not enough kuzushi, then what are ways to make kuzushi before going into throw? If its just get opponent moving, then I assume the options are jacket tug-o-war, pushing contests, herky jerky, or the spinaroo ( Like the game we played as kids, in which you try and spin the other kid around your center line. You can actually get people to fall like that if you spin then fast enough)

Why would lift the upper body for Osoto Gari, you want the weight on the leg you are going to cut out from under uke ? That's how reaping throws work.

I really need to work on my uchi mata. I've been using harai as my forward throw but I wonder if uchi mata would be a better fit.

Might be, post some video of you doing both and let's see.
Harai requires you to get further across uke, which can be problematic. Uchi Mata is more difficult to do in general, though, technically speaking.

If you have a good Harai Goshi, though, Uchi Mata should come fairly easily. Adapting it to your body type etc. will take a lot of work, though.

Why would lift the upper body for Osoto Gari, you want the weight on the leg you are going to cut out from under uke ? That's how reaping throws work.

That is motion for Osoto Gari I have been taught at places I have been to.

I can think of having worse days.. Bilodid become the youngest ever world champion at the age of 17. She has had a pretty amazing year. 3 IJF tour golds and now her first ever World gold.

and now today, Hifumi Abe and Uta Abe siblings just won their second (for Hifumi) and first senior world title (for Uta). Great results and nice techniques here.

Hashimoto for gold tomorrow imo.

I am looking forward to see Igolnikov for Russia, I think he has a strong chance for gold.

I'm really stoked for the Day 2 highlights. I caught about an hour of the elimination round last night and it was phenomenal. I was gonna post the final but ippon.tv isn't making it available here in freedomland.

there was a great conversation between Neil Adams and the gal he was commentating with. They touched on leg grabs (she missed them but also conceded that it made folks get more clever with their counters) and were really, really stoked about how much more ground time there was.

Neil also specifically mentioned how rapidly BJJ was helping newaza evolve, and how a lot of folks are now cross-training and bringing that knowledge back into Judo. It was at least 50/50 last night for throwing/groundwork, and so many people were attacking folks who got defensive on the ground.

We've spent the last 2-3 weeks solely on attacking and retaining back control, and I was kinda worried that some of the old guard would be a bit 'meh' about it and want to see more turnovers, but there have been so many bow-and-arrows and armbars over the last two days that I almost feel vindicated :)

I'm really stoked for the Day 2 highlights. I caught about an hour of the elimination round last night and it was phenomenal. I was gonna post the final but ippon.tv isn't making it available here in freedomland.

there was a great conversation between Neil Adams and the gal he was commentating with. They touched on leg grabs (she missed them but also conceded that it made folks get more clever with their counters) and were really, really stoked about how much more ground time there was.

Neil also specifically mentioned how rapidly BJJ was helping newaza evolve, and how a lot of folks are now cross-training and bringing that knowledge back into Judo. It was at least 50/50 last night for throwing/groundwork, and so many people were attacking folks who got defensive on the ground.

We've spent the last 2-3 weeks solely on attacking and retaining back control, and I was kinda worried that some of the old guard would be a bit 'meh' about it and want to see more turnovers, but there have been so many bow-and-arrows and armbars over the last two days that I almost feel vindicated :)
One thing that makes me sad is the lack of chokes from back control that judoka attempt. I saw some guys in this tournament try a turnover, have it fail and then just accept back control with one, or even two hooks... but instead of trying a choke, or something else, they stare at the ref for a stand-up...

I like Ryan Vargas, he isn't particularly gifted in tachi-waza (which is why the big throwers ippon him), but he is a lot of fun to watch in ne-waza. He shows the flaw in most judoka ne-waza games; he has a complete game, whereas most others only have a few go-to techniques.

This is a pretty good interview from Neil though:

I wish judo evolves the rulesets more to allow more techniques into the rules of judo.

lack? there's been like a dozen bow and arrow chokes!

anybody know why the finals won't broadcast in murica?

Damn, Hashimoto got buried with a kosoto gake by An Changrim.

Did anyone see this Peruvian necktie girl. She tapped two girls including a Japanese girl so kodokan changed the rules.

the fact it was a great submission was the point
the fact it was outlawed is just a tidbit i dont even know the rules of judo obviously but the submission was awesome and the fact she used her gi was creative

My God who would've thought when you quit smoking after 20 years, run 3x a week and eat right your body let's you do judo better....

Haven't felt so good after practice in a long time

Back