Official Judo Thread XI: Olympic Travesty Edition | Page 57

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Zankou, Aug 6, 2016.

1. TheFakeMacoy Green Belt

TheFakeMacoy
    I need to try and get out to the high performance class, rather than just the standard class I've been going to. Unfortunately, because it's earlier, I have trouble getting to it after work. I'd like to get back into it enough that I could compete.

Rebelfett and Bluesbreaker like this.
  2. Bluesbreaker Brown Belt

Bluesbreaker
    I feel ya.

TheFakeMacoy likes this.
  3. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    Been concentrating on my neglected guard lately in jiu jitsu, but just decided to jump into a judo tournament, a little bigger than last time, in two weeks, so it looks like I will be doing some stand up to try to catch up haha

Rebelfett likes this.
  4. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    lean into your osoto/harai a little more and really push into your vector and you should be fine. you're coordinated enough you could probably dial in some footsweeps too. i know you're going for ippon, but being able to land on top and overwhelm people is also part of judo.

i'll venmo you a dollar if you win with a pin :)

Rebelfett likes this.
  5. ArtemV Silver Belt

ArtemV
    I will have competition at the end of month, I wish myself luck, lol. Will be exciting for sure

Rebelfett likes this.
  6. Bluesbreaker Brown Belt

Bluesbreaker
    Any of you guys know much about the pay for IJF referees?

7. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    i can't speak to the other continents, but here it's a labor of love. there's usually a per-diem to cover part of travel/food costs, maybe more for head refs, but that's about it. i'm only a regional ref, but i've never been offered or asked for pay, and i'd honestly feel bad if i was/had. i was thinking of getting my national cert this year, but i figure if i'm gonna travel to the sites where those test take place, i might as well play.

despite how disappointed people can be with the various unions and organizations, judo's definitely a grassroots sport. tournament fees cover costs, but that's about it.

personally, i don't even enjoy refereeing so much as i enjoy the opportunity to keep the sport going. we've only got one IJF ref left in the state, and he's been at it for i think 25-30 years. he and his wife have organized and hosted countless tournaments, and always make sure we're fed.

for as cantankerous and stubborn as some of the old guard can be about things, it's really humbling to take stock of how much time they've put in.

Rebelfett and Franklegit like this.
  8. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    That explains why judo tournaments are cheap compared to BJJ.

That being said i dunno If I will do another judo tournament this year. I train way more BJJ than judo and still mostly lose in BJJ competition. I got thrown pretty hard at the last judo tournament because I was unprepared and I'd rather that not happen again. But I do feel like I'm getting better.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 10:26 PM
  9. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    You gotta keep pluggin away while you can man. You're only young once. That said, I tell people to ride out chokes, but tap or slap when they need to. Unless it's a big points/money tournament, it's better to save yourself the risk of injury than go out on your shield.

10. BKR Orange Belt

BKR

It's been a while since I checked in here.

You left out practicing the throws dynamically, with appropriate movement patterns, unless you include that in Step 2.

11. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    I thought they had moved back to wazari-awasete ippon... I checked (again) and indeed that is the rule for 2018-2020.

I've had different experiences with arm-in guilliotine, sometimes it's bad on my neck, other times not so much. We experimented with it a bit for a while, but dropped it from But I'm old and creaky...

A Hadaka Jime from front is still legal in Judo competition, as long as no neck-cranking happens.

I had a student competing in the Elite 8 Canadian nationals last weekend, and they had not implemented the awasete-ippon rule yet.

12. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    The rule change regarding "involuntary head defense" was put in so uke would not be penalized if he/she did not purposely block with their head.

The throws listed are ones in which that commonly happens.

It's still illegal to purposely spike someone on the head.

I'm glad to see they put in those exceptions, same with exceptions to 'leg grab' penalties. They are fairly common-place occurrences.

13. BKR Orange Belt

BKR

He was waiting on you, you walked right into it. Very nice counter on his part, to say the least. Not Kosoto Gari on his part, but that doesn't really matter. Look up Daki Wakari...

He had a wide base, and it looks like you tried to keep going sideways on the Osoto instead of hopping more to your left to cut the angle. It also looked like he was holding your leg then switched to a belt grip, but the video is fast and a bit blurry to my trifocals.

Trying to out-power a bigger guy who has some skill can be a dangerous game to play.

14. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    I agree with what Qing Tian wrote, if you look at your collar grip, you entered, and THEN tried to control his head. Too late...

15. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    That is my understanding as well.

16. BKR Orange Belt

BKR

For tori to get HSM, you have to believe that he intentionally tried to injure uke.

IME, that is a pretty tough hurdle to meet in a normal judo match. Of course, punching a guy in the nose would be obvious...

So in these cases, tori tries to throw, uke defends, but does not purposely use his head as a defense, hitting his head/face is a result of another type of defense, or a combo of tori weak/ineffective attack and uke defense (not using head on purpose).

17. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    No, it would not necessarily be HSM on tori...he has to have intent to injure uke.

Judo is tough, stuff happens. I've seen maybe 5 at most direct HSM for tori purposely trying to injure uke in 37 years of Judo. And I reffed extensively for 20+ of those years, too.

18. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    Where are you guys finding that "guillotine choke" is now illegal in IJF competitions ? Neck crank, yes, always been illegal in Judo comps.

Same with the arm in guillotine...here is the quote from the IJF .pdf of the new "rules".
    Kata-sankaku grip IJF RULES 2018-2020 (Kata sankaku is basically head and arm type positions)
    Kata-sankaku grip in tachi-waza must be mate.
    It is allowed to use kata-sankaku grip in newaza action.
    Kata-sankaku in newaza is prohibited to block the opponents body with the legs and must be mate. (my comment: so you can't lock in dojime/full guard and apply an arm-in guillotine).

Mae Hadaka Jime is and has been legal in judo comps for as long as I've been doing Judo. You just cannot do a neck crank, and we all know what that looks like.

19. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    Let us know how it goes !

20. QingTian Purple Belt

QingTian
    A bit off topic, but I haven't found the common "movement" drills very helpful. Throwing a compliant uke while moving just requires simple adjustments, whereas getting your uke to react the way you want is comparatively difficult both in concept and execution.

Therefore, I would say that the process of opening up uke includes whatever movement pattern you need to accomplish the entry.

I would like there to be more resources on this topic. It is basically useless to show the end technique but virtually all Judo books or videos just focus on it.