Official Judo Thread

I read that interview, and while I agree with a lot of the points I find uchimata and the other throws he mentioned much more difficult than ippon seionage.

Another thing is I've won more BJJ matches by pulling guard and then sweeping than by using judo to throw the guy and pass guard. But I still lose more BJJ matches than I win, and when I lose it tends to be because I get taken down by a double leg and then submitted or I get swept when I am on top.

My BJJ coaches are of the opinion I should continue with the guard pull strategy and I should use the judo in a limited way to control grips and perhaps to go for sacrifice throws.

Thinking more my options seem to be to try to keep what I do in the BJJ class and Judo class separate or maximizing my judo for bjj.

I think the order of throws isn't necessarily just about difficulty, but lessons to learn. Those throws he listed also build upon each other. Anyway, I think that is just one way to do things, and not that even he sticks to that regimen.

I think your coaches are right, unfortunately. Your Judo class doesn't seem to be exposing you to people of real throwing ability. It's hard to learn without good examples. While it's nice they have a big mat area and lots of partners, you might have to travel around a bit to other clubs to gain some ideas.

There are several people that have some skill because they wrestled in school or because they are athletic etc The problem is I don't get paired up with them for randori as much as people who are scared to fall.

Another frustration is that most of the classic judo throws do not translate very well to BJJ ruleset were people can stall with grips, getting a big throw is only worth 2 points, and who landed on top after a scramble is more important than who initiated the throw.

In a way dragging my opponent to the mat is more effective than something like seionage.

ADCC tachiwaza is pretty distinct from Olympic judo tachi waza for example

i think you should change your philosophy, or give up on judo.

if you're only learning judo to compliment your BJJ and learn a few 'takedowns' then you're not learning judo. like yeah, if all you're looking for is what's effective in BJJ comps, pulling guard is a viable option and among the easiest to learn.

if you wanna get good at judo, focus on the technique and timing. don't worry about randori wins or whether or not something 'translates' to BJJ.

please don't take this as me saying people shouldn't discover and refine what techniques work for them, or that you can't cross-train with intent.

but again, you seem super frustrated with your judo progress. part of that seems to be a lack of knowledgable coaching and training partners, but i think another big part of it is how you seem to approach Judo as a grab-bag of tools that may or may not be useful in a BJJ context.

if you wanna get good at judo, focus on the technique and timing. don't worry about randori wins or whether or not something 'translates' to BJJ.

What should I do to get more out of randori? I don't mind being thrown a bunch of times as much as people refusing to attack and stalling using illegal grips. Basically most people try to play standup bjj with me and its really annoying.

Now of course there are things I can do to get around this but doing so isn't really technical judo.

How do you treat the differences between judo newaza and BJJ guard game?

Last edited:
Also if someone tries a leg grab takedown on me I have no answer for that, which is frustrating I also struggle to do them. I'm currently debating whether to spend time trying to get better at that part of the game or to ignore it.

Also if someone tries a leg grab takedown on me I have no answer for that, which is frustrating I also struggle to do them. I'm currently debating whether to spend time trying to get better at that part of the game or to ignore it.
It's good to be able to do them. You will also find good judo counters to them. Uchi mata and sumi gaeshi to the single leg, I've had success with. But you gotta work on a sprawl too.

I found myself in a no gi BJJ class last night, by surprise. I held my own, not that I was there to prove a point. But damn, no gi is frustrating when I've only trained in a gi.

Had my very Judo class tonight.

Can't wait for the next one.

I don't know if the white belt I was training with was just going easy on me, but I was hitting Ippon Seoinage after a few tries, once he showed me some footwork tips. No lie, I was kind of shocked. it was probably rather sloppy, but it was working.

So much fun, I've been practicing breakfalls and footwork all night along with trying out the new flexball for my Boxing training and some jump rope and calisthenics.

I was able to time a throw off my partners footsweep the other night, it was very satisfying.

I hit the biggest harai I've ever hit in comp or training at a jiu jitsu tournament last weekend, to the point where I legitimately thought he was going to flip all the way back onto his feet, and I of course did not get a video of it. First time I've hit a throw and heard the audience stand up and "OOOOOHHHH"

First time I've hit a throw and heard the audience stand up and "OOOOOHHHH"

Best part of competition to me. Medals are great, taps are always pretty wonderful, but getting a whole roomful of people to 'OOOOH' at your Judo? that's what's up.

My opponent was kind enough to send me video. Not as clean as it was in my head, but still a long way from where I started (which was jumping into half guard the second we slap hands)
BaZraeEBrsy

If thy embed doesn’t work it’s on my Instagram.. @kennycrybaby

How often do you guys lift weights and do non grappling exercises? I got manhandled at a bjj tournament this weekend. Right now I do 2 hours of judo, 8-9 hours of bjj and 1 hour calisthenics conditioning for my training routine.

I lift weights to get into shape for every day life, not for grappling. If you aren't competing at an elite competitive level, I really think it does not matter so long as you are training regularly and not a slob.

That being said, to answer your question I train jiu jitsu 6-7 times a week usually, lift 2-3 days a week, and in my jiu jitsu training, usually dedicate 15-20 min to judo twice a week, and 15-20 min to wrestling twice a week which obviously overlaps. Fridays (10 back to back rounds) and Saturdays I start every round from the feet and expect that unless my partner is injured or working on something specific, they start standing as well, even if they choose to pull guard.

I am lucky that my judo coach is a purple belt, and my wrestling coach is a blue belt, so I don't have to separate the training sessions, and they understand how to fluidly mesh the two better than if I were doing sport specific training.

In other Judo news: I competed in a jiu jitsu match this weekend and had four matches between my weight and the open. In my weight, I scored a quick ouchi gari (my first one, and not one of my go to throws) as a single leg counter. I have it on video, but it could be cleaner. I probed his foot with a sticker, he reach for my leg and we were both a little out of base, and I hit the trip to sit him down. The next match, my opponent pulled to closed guard, after that I got blast doubled by an ultra heavyweight after a few minutes of grip fighting, and then in my last match, my opponent pulled to de la Riva I think. Didn't get as much stand up work as I'd have liked, but was happy to get at least one trip that I didn't even set up, just went off instinct. Felt much more comfortable grip fighting as well.

I lift weights to get into shape for every day life, not for grappling. If you aren't competing at an elite competitive level, I really think it does not matter so long as you are training regularly and not a slob.

That being said, to answer your question I train jiu jitsu 6-7 times a week usually, lift 2-3 days a week, and in my jiu jitsu training, usually dedicate 15-20 min to judo twice a week, and 15-20 min to wrestling twice a week which obviously overlaps. Fridays (10 back to back rounds) and Saturdays I start every round from the feet and expect that unless my partner is injured or working on something specific, they start standing as well, even if they choose to pull guard.

I am lucky that my judo coach is a purple belt, and my wrestling coach is a blue belt, so I don't have to separate the training sessions, and they understand how to fluidly mesh the two better than if I were doing sport specific training.

In other Judo news: I competed in a jiu jitsu match this weekend and had four matches between my weight and the open. In my weight, I scored a quick ouchi gari (my first one, and not one of my go to throws) as a single leg counter. I have it on video, but it could be cleaner. I probed his foot with a sticker, he reach for my leg and we were both a little out of base, and I hit the trip to sit him down. The next match, my opponent pulled to closed guard, after that I got blast doubled by an ultra heavyweight after a few minutes of grip fighting, and then in my last match, my opponent pulled to de la Riva I think. Didn't get as much stand up work as I'd have liked, but was happy to get at least one trip that I didn't even set up, just went off instinct. Felt much more comfortable grip fighting as well.

That remind me, I saw you compete at that tournament and I think I said hello. I'm Nathan and I train at Upstream Friday nights.

You guys were very impressive at the tournament.

RJ- I won brown belt middle heavy. I lost the third place match in the open on a questionable call in the last 10 seconds after being up the entire match, but as it was a local tournament and a friend was reffing, didn't care to press the issue further.

Thy- It was nice meeting you bro.

Here's some of the judo I've been working lately:
The ouchi from this weekend-
The harai from last weekend-
An ura nage from a judo tournament (open belt division) last month-
^That one was only for wazari. I had a much cleaner one for ippon in the novice division but I dont record my own matches, I only get to see what friends happen to shoot. Feel really good about my progress in the last 6-8 months given how Ive been incorporating it into my Jiu Jitsu, and the fact that less than a year ago I couldn't do anything but pull guard.

Back