Official Judo Thread

I finally got promoted to brown this past weekend. Not really sure what rank I am. My instructor had talked about promoting me straight to ikkyu but don't know if I actually was. Still got a ways to go but feels great to be progressing.

Quick question, IS Judo the number 1 combat sport in France, Japan, Georgia? Ahead of mma and boxing?

Quick question, IS Judo the number 1 combat sport in France, Japan, Georgia? Ahead of mma and boxing?
What do you mean by "number 1 combat sport?" Do you mean in terms of practitioners, people who watch, how much money it makes?

Im talking about general fandom, so people who watch, how much it resonates on the national consciousness rather than the number who compete. But participation numbers would be an interesting indicator too.

Money would be interesting, not sure where the money comes from or why Teddy Riner is so rich...?

In Georgia it is a tough call between Judo and Freestyle wrestling. It is a really close call. I go with Wrestling being number 1 in Georgia, due to the new olympic champ and two world champions.

I can only speak for France where it's clearly a huge federation. They claim to have 600.000 licensed judokas (which is almost 1% of the whole French population), while boxing is around 50.000. MMA competition with full ground and pound is still de facto illegal, but lots of MMA gyms are still opening.

Riner got gifted that win vs Tushishvili.

Really though. In what way was this NOT a waza-ari? Riner clearly landed on his side.

Really though. In what way was this NOT a waza-ari? Riner clearly landed on his side.

The commentators agreed that it wasn't because he landed on his elbow.

The commentators agreed that it wasn't because he landed on his elbow.
Landing on your elbow doesn't mean anything though. There are a lot of guys who land their opponent on their side and elbow, and still get scored on. His hips and side of his leg both landed on the ground, why should landing on your elbow prevent any score? His body was facing side on... if landing on your side like that isn't a waza ari: I am not sure what is.

elbows have been discussed specifically at the last three tournaments i've refereed:

one elbow landing = nothing
two elbow lading = wazari

Just sent in my registration for my first judo tournament two weeks from now. I've only ever taken four judo classes (only two of which were at a dedicated judo club) but I am interested to jump in and see how it goes. I've been doing a lot of stand up work with a purple belt at my gym who came from Jimmy Pedro's (3rd degree black belt) and trained with the Olympic team years ago. It will probably be a little awkward but it should be fun regardless of how I fare.

Just sent in my registration for my first judo tournament two weeks from now. I've only ever taken four judo classes (only two of which were at a dedicated judo club) but I am interested to jump in and see how it goes. I've been doing a lot of stand up work with a purple belt at my gym who came from Jimmy Pedro's (3rd degree black belt) and trained with the Olympic team years ago. It will probably be a little awkward but it should be fun regardless of how I fare.

Good work mate. Let us know how it goes.

World Championship Highlights anyone?

That morote at the end was fantastic.

Back