Official Judo Thread XI: Olympic Travesty Edition | Page 47

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Zankou, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    Well I agree with that.

I'm not really that frustrated, I just find it odd that people expect training judo to be easier than hitting some thai pads.

SBC likes this.
  2. QingTian Purple Belt

QingTian
    I said that really because I didn't want to let him off the hook, not that it's easy to do. There's a lot he can do to work out harder, and face the truth about what he can and cannot do.

3. Kbits Orange Belt

Kbits
    This has been working for me like gangbusters. Thanks Wolfman!

[​IMG]

4. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    As a 35+ guy I can understand that, LOL, especially on crappy tatami.

There are things they can do to get better though. One can be a good uke and not take tons of falls. Or your coach can get some crash pads.

Perhaps you should suggest they take up yoga or something less impactful on their delicate bodies...

We've outlined and in detailed things YOU can do to get better, to be a better overall athlete, as well as how to be a better judoka.

5. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    I agree.

6. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
    travis stevens droppin some secrets in an unlisted vid

ArtemV and JagRoss like this.
  7. JagRoss Yellow Belt

JagRoss
    Wowwwwwwwwww.

8. Russky Green Belt

Russky
    Even if nobody see that I am doing something illegal I'd know that I am an asshole.

9. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    ran scoreboard at our state games today. holy shit that's a lot more involved than refereeing. at least when i'm off-mat i'm just making calls in my head and enjoying the match, not worrying about clicking the wrong damn button or figuring out who got the wazari when they *both* fell simultaneously and away from my vantage point.

i kinda miss awaseta-ippon. wazaris are effectively a yuko now, in that you've still gotta hold for 20 seconds to get that ippon. i get that the gi makes it harder to escape, but i sometimes wonder if it'd be better to knock ippon pins down to 15 or even 10 seconds?

i'm also confused on the lift rule. our head ref is IJF-B and the last two tournaments we've held, we'll call matte when someone's lifted off the mat in guard, but if there's a choke/armbar attempt we'll let that shit ride. uke can try to shimmy tori off of him, but can't slam. i even specifically asked if there was a certain height we were supposed to call matte at (like if tori's got a triangle and uke lifts him up rampage-style) but apparently not. if uke's gonna pick tori up to use gravity to escape that's fine, but he still can't slam tori.

it's also weird to me that some judo folks will basically crossface themselves to avoid a choke attempt. there were a few times today when people had their chin tucked, but rather than turn into the choke or advance position they'd just pull tori's arm up to their face, turn their head, and then look at the ref like "oh gee look i'm getting crossfaced and neck cranked' and get the matte. i

i think BJJ's got the whole 'well if you don't like it don't put your fuckin' face there' idea correct. i love how the impetus for some of these rules is "safety" yet we're still encouraging children and citrus belts to throw one another ass-over-head as HARD as they can...

Rebelfett likes this.
  10. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
    all the tournaments ive been to, if you get your body completely lifted off the ground even in an armbar or triangle, it gets matted

11. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    a while back i think Russky and I got into it about that rule. the IJF rules say lifting from guard gets a matte but don't address the "what if a submission is on" part.

the guy who's our head ref has been doing judo since the 70s, actively referees the national tournaments, and stays up-to-date on things. he's not the type to just jump to his own conclusions so i think this must've been explained to him at a seminar or rules meeting, which they'll have before most big tournaments.

one of the first matches of the day had an armbar attempt get lifted off the ground and we let it continue. tori wasn't able to flip underneath for belly-down and uke managed to shuck him off after a while.

either way, i really like that change. judo shouldn't be so allergic to scrambles.

Rebelfett likes this.
  12. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
    at the same time, if someone lifts you off the ground when you have a triangle/armbar, you're protected from getting rampaged so im kind of okay with the break

13. BKR Orange Belt

BKR
    When I started reffing (a long time ago), if you put the guys's arm on your face, tough shit, no matte...that was the "rule" for quite some time.

The whole lift thing has been modified recently. Matte depends on who has control, from my understanding.

Running the score table or a mat is a lot of work. I used to do that at US Nationals as a mat supervisor. I got to deal with the Armenian Mafia more than once...

14. Russky Green Belt

Russky
    That's why I always volunteer to run osaekomi timer. The only problem I have there is to wake up on time. :)

15. ArtemV Silver Belt

ArtemV

Dope de ashi barai

Rebelfett likes this.
  16. Kbits Orange Belt

Kbits
    So...wazari awaste ippon might be coming back...

around 28th minute

SBC likes this.
  17. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    good. they need to bring back yuko and award for 5, 10, and 15-second pins. it's stupid watching people *almost* ippon people and then have to lay there for 20 seconds.

#bringbackleggrabs
    #makejudogreatagain

Rebelfett and ArtemV like this.
  18. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    I've spent the last couple weeks focusing on my grips and hand motions and that seems to work pretty well.

Also ive made a point to train with smaller people.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  19. Ivan Moser Beer Belt

Ivan Moser

35. Heh. Long time ago.

20. Ivan Moser Beer Belt

Ivan Moser

Yeah, know what you mean. Going twice this week for the first time in forever, have been only going 2-3 months this year. No matter how much you lift, run, etc, body gets soft in a judo sense without actual judo. Can be scary!

Rebelfett and Bluesbreaker like this.