Official Judo Thread

Yeah, they're a bit shifty with what "partial" tear means. I've spoken to three guys so far and no one seems to be able to quantify it based off the MRI. I'm seeing a radiology friend next week to get his analysis. "Partial" can mean anything from 10% to 90% torn; I'd like to get some numbers so I know where I stand

A training partner managed to fuck up my knee earlier this year, as I was demonstrating a technique. Went and got an MRI and it read like a horror show, the highlights of which were
  • Partially torn ACL
  • Tears in both Meniscii
  • Fissuring of joint cartilage
  • Fissuring of patella lining cartilage
  • Compacted fracture of femur
Of course, the ortho wants to go in and snip things. The orthopedic tests were inconclusive (as in, it wasn't loose) and the MRI report didn't qualify WTF "partially torn" meant as a %, so I opted to get a second opinion.

Anyway, I popped out today to the local PRP clinic. The guy compared the "good knee" to the "bad knee"...if anything, the "good knee" was looser than the bad.
Given the choice between losing another slice of hamstring to make an ACL or getting a bunch of platelets injected into the torn strand, I'm opting to try the latter before the former.

I think the biggest issue will be the amount of blood they need to siphon off for each of the three injections (two weeks apart). It's about 6 vials each time but I'm squeamish as fuck
You can sit on the sidelines with me and watch as everybody else has all the fun

quit playing with your head down. you're breaking your own posture and you can't move with your ass out.

do something with your grips. you aren't moving uke as you attempt to throw - he's still on his base and can easily evade you.

quit doing shitty fall-down back sacrifice throws.

quit playing with your head down. you're breaking your own posture and you can't move with your ass out.

do something with your grips. you aren't moving uke as you attempt to throw - he's still on his base and can easily evade you.

quit doing shitty fall-down back sacrifice throws.

Yeah my posture is kind of shit. I can improve on that for sure.

What type of grips would you recommend? One problem I have is that of balance myself trying to move the other guy when I use footwork.

Regarding the sacrifice throws, I did manage to get one I this video and my couches have been encouraging me to do them. I was actually proud of myself for getting that Russian tie, but my ura nage didn't work out. I probably should go to a different throw there.

What's kind of frustrating is ive been doing judo for about 7 years and this is how I look, not very impressive.

What's kind of frustrating is ive been doing judo for about 7 years and this is how I look, not very impressive.

How you improve after the years has as much to do with your teachers and environment as your own talents.

That said, from your video, it's really hard to say just a few tips. There are a lot of fundamentals to work on.

Maybe focus on a couple throws, use one grip, and figure out how to set them up. Do a ton of reps on a crashpad.

Your video made it look like you weren't comfortable with any throws, and you didn't quite know how to use your grips (which you kept changing). So I'd just focus on a couple moves.

How you improve after the years has as much to do with your teachers and environment as your own talents.

That said, from your video, it's really hard to say just a few tips. There are a lot of fundamentals to work on.

Maybe focus on a couple throws, use one grip, and figure out how to set them up. Do a ton of reps on a crashpad.

Your video made it look like you weren't comfortable with any throws, and you didn't quite know how to use your grips (which you kept changing). So I'd just focus on a couple moves.

Well my problem is there aren't many people in the judo club and if I do the same move over and over they get wise to it. They are also bigger than me and don't really know how to randori.

What's kind of odd is that I'm one of the more experienced players. The class isn't really designed for me I think it is for 30+ year old beginners. The way the class is set up is hard to drill one move repeatedly like that. It only meets twice a week for one hour. Twenty minutes of that is ukemi, basic movement drills., 15 min doing one technique and the 15 min doing a variation. Then 10 -15 min randori.

There is another club I could go to but again most of the people there were totally new and I ended up showing my partners how to do an armbar.

The current place I train at is not ideal, but its about the same or better than previous places in my part of the USA.

I'm curious, how do I compare to the lower belts at your gym?

Last edited:

Here is another video from several months ago. I posted so you can see if ive made any improvements.

You can sit on the sidelines with me and watch as everybody else has all the fun

Nope, fuck that :) I'm now teaching three times a week (It's the methadone of grappling) and doing a session of ultra slow, technique only BJJ reps 1 time a week.

Sounds like you injured yours too. How bad?

Last edited:

Here is another video from several months ago. I posted so you can see if ive made any improvements.

You have no power in your movements and do not use the sleeve grip at all. Then you also keep trying to be a lefty with a righty grip.

I think you need to work on doing lots of throws even before randori. The other guy doesn't have to do much to not get thrown.

How do I compare to other green belts/ people you know with several years training at a casual level?

How do I compare to other green belts/ people you know with several years training at a casual level?

You look fine for a green belt but that isn't a standard I'd compare you to since you've been doing Judo for 7 years. Actually your partner in the second video looks a lot more comfortable on his feet - did he have other grappling experience?

I'll try to come up with a more thoughtful response later.

I watched your video again and I think I know where you're at now. You're at a stage where you are still figuring out what works for you. Since you are trying a lot of things, you don't look better than someone with less experience. But it shows in the video that you have been exposed to a lot of different techniques. So the plus side is that you are probably ready to start focusing, and your experience here will start counting even though it doesn't look/feel like it. Even though you don't look good against white belts, it's fine since nothing works until it all clicks.

I would say the next stage as a brown belt would be to have a handful of techniques you can demonstrate well, and throw uke hard (efficiently) in nagekomi. Same advice as above. Think through what has worked for you, and what techniques you might gravitate towards. Then drill them with nagekomi then move on to uchikomi. Think about what kuzushi you need for each throw, and make sure you do it as you attack. So for seoinage, make sure you pull before turning in. For osoto, make sure your sleeve grip pulls down as you enter. Etc.

If you like, post some videos of your nagekomi.

Once you can perform a few throws well, and do the kuzushi in randori, you should find that you can throw a lot more easily. Then after that, at black belt level, is about how to set up advanced players.

You look fine for a green belt but that isn't a standard I'd compare you to since you've been doing Judo for 7 years. Actually your partner in the second video looks a lot more comfortable on his feet - did he have other grappling experience?

I'll try to come up with a more thoughtful response later.

He's been training judo or about 2 years , but he is 40 pounds heavier than me. Not sure about previous experience other than that. The fact he moves moves pretty well has encouraged me to stay with this judo club as he seems to have benefited from training there And the fact that I was able to get him down shows that im improving too.

I started in 2010 but were a lot of gaps in those years, there is a big gap between spring 2012 and summer 2013.

Don't worry about how you compare to others. There's some random luck involved when learning. That is, whether you happened to try something that works or not. Plus a strength difference is difficult to overcome as it means your technique has to be pretty much correct.

On that note, your leg coordination/strength is not so good. Don't worry, most people favor upper or lower body, similar to left and right. When I started I was lower body and I looked like a tap dancer. My first coach advised a lot of full body exercises, whether it's complete throws, Olympic lifts, or whatever. You're trying to grip the guy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back