Official Judo Thread

i don't think uchikomi should be practiced until people have a good grasp on nagekomi. there's no use in speeding up the entry of a throw for a beginner if they can't complete the damn throw to begin with.

i've noticed a consistent pattern among beginners from uchikomi-heavy gyms where they 'stick' at the apex of a throw because they've spent so damn much time doing uchikomi without actually throwing.

JudokaUK and i went back-and-forth a while ago on whether crash pads were good or not. I totally agreed with his assertion that people should learn how to fall properly.

Honestly, I think that's the one thing everyone should take away from Judo. I don't give a shit about the submissions or the throws or the terminology: people should learn how to fall down.

Buuuuut this year we've had to move to a different gym at the university, and we're practicing on roll-out dollamur mats over wood over concrete. It's not ideal.

That said, I'm still stoked we did nagekomi first with the Judo class. They all throw well. They all follow through. That's not to say people aren't still 'oomphing' the throws, and that's not to say there isn't room for improvement, but we're not un-fucking thousands of bad fit ins.

i don't think uchikomi should be practiced until people have a good grasp on nagekomi. there's no use in speeding up the entry of a throw for a beginner if they can't complete the damn throw to begin with.

i've noticed a consistent pattern among beginners from uchikomi-heavy gyms where they 'stick' at the apex of a throw because they've spent so damn much time doing uchikomi without actually throwing.

JudokaUK and i went back-and-forth a while ago on whether crash pads were good or not. I totally agreed with his assertion that people should learn how to fall properly.

Honestly, I think that's the one thing everyone should take away from Judo. I don't give a shit about the submissions or the throws or the terminology: people should learn how to fall down.

Buuuuut this year we've had to move to a different gym at the university, and we're practicing on roll-out dollamur mats over wood over concrete. It's not ideal.

That said, I'm still stoked we did nagekomi first with the Judo class. They all throw well. They all follow through. That's not to say people aren't still 'oomphing' the throws, and that's not to say there isn't room for improvement, but we're not un-fucking thousands of bad fit ins.

I have literally been saying this since 2004. Nagekomi onto crash mats = less boo boos = retention of adults. Endless uchikomi without nagekomi= stopping throws part way.

We had specially made low-line crashmats designed for our club; the don't get in the way
and you can bury folks into them all day long. Try that with tatami over concrete (BTDT; gets old real fast).

CoA65vF.png

Last edited:
Got interviewed by Judo Chop Suey podcast (EP12); I have no idea how to convert fahrenheit into celsius but the rest of it was ok. You can hear me bitch about being old, fat and broken, as well as some training ideas, how we might attract / retain more adults in judo etc. It should be up on Itunes and Youtube

Uchikomi is only useful as focused practice. If you do not know what you are doing or what you want to do, then don't do it except maybe as a warmup or endurance drill. Mindless repetition is about as good as learning by osmosis.

That said, these days I prefer uchikomi as it lets me focus on the setup. I already know how the throw will end, so why bother?

I have literally been saying this since 2004. Nagekomi onto crash mats = less boo boos = retention of adults. Endless uchikomi without nagekomi= stopping throws part way.

We had specially made low-line crashmats designed for our club; the don't get in the way
and you can bury folks into them all day long. Try that with tatami over concrete (BTDT; gets old real fast).
People who complain about crash pads somehow have nothing against sprung floor. Most of them train once a year, anyway.[/QUOTE]

People who complain about crash pads somehow have nothing against sprung floor. Most of them train once a year, anyway.
[/QUOTE]

My issue with crash mats was that it would cause me to overreach to make sure uke was landing squarely on the pad so I wasn't throwing exactly like I would normally. Then again I am only a green belt (think I'm testing for brown next month).

it's not like they need to land completely on the pad. it's really more about saving the hips and shoulders.

plus it's really nice being able to rep some things full speed, especially with a bigger uke.

For me if you keep holding the sleeve then as long as my feet or shoulder land on crash pad it is good enough.

Uchi komi are really good for developing footwork. That's about it. If you're lifting the guy, you're doing it wrong. Just throw him. Use a crash pad, it's fine. Knowing how to fall means you don't die, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to take 100 falls a day. Fast in and out for uchi komi, and then do a lot of throwing. I really favor gripping sequences and movement sequence practice directly into throwing, keeps the fall count down due to the length of the sequence, but gives you good holistic practice.

Uchi komi are really good for developing footwork. That's about it. If you're lifting the guy, you're doing it wrong. Just throw him. Use a crash pad, it's fine. Knowing how to fall means you don't die, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to take 100 falls a day. Fast in and out for uchi komi, and then do a lot of throwing. I really favor gripping sequences and movement sequence practice directly into throwing, keeps the fall count down due to the length of the sequence, but gives you good holistic practice.

man if i had a nickel for every uchimata i took from our mutual friend....we used to do nagekomi around the square to practice throwing from every angle. i think our sprung floor is the only reason i'm not a cripple right now.

My issue with crash mats was that it would cause me to overreach to make sure uke was landing squarely on the pad so I wasn't throwing exactly like I would normally. Then again I am only a green belt (think I'm testing for brown next month).[/QUOTE]

I've never found this to be the case. Been using crashmats almost exclusively since 2006.

Uke doesn't need to land 100% on the mat...just the breakfalling part of them.

Like so (excuse the exaggerated jump step; I was working on something)

Last edited:

I never had issue with footwork although I'm sure it's different for everyone. But I think it's the handwork that takes more coordination practice.

Anyway, "throw" is a really bad description for what we do in Judo. "Throw" implies an upwards trajectory and going for distance, but what we actually should be throwing down and carrying as little weight as possible.

I guess the Japanese nageru is also "throw" but what we should say is more like "slam". I think I would have made many less errors if I understood the distinction earlier.

There is a character for slam (or throwing to the ground) so I wonder why that wasn't used instead of nageru.

I never had issue with footwork although I'm sure it's different for everyone. But I think it's the handwork that takes more coordination practice.

Anyway, "throw" is a really bad description for what we do in Judo. "Throw" implies an upwards trajectory and going for distance, but what we actually should be throwing down and carrying as little weight as possible.

I guess the Japanese nageru is also "throw" but what we should say is more like "slam". I think I would have made many less errors if I understood the distinction earlier.

There is a character for slam (or throwing to the ground) so I wonder why that wasn't used instead of nageru.
Dude, seriously?!?!
Japanese for SLAM is スラム (katakana only, no pictographic character), which is pronounced SURAMU. Take a while guess why...

tell me how to do any of the following without lifting something:

harai tsurikomi ashi, sode tsurikomi goshi, te guruma, kata guruma, daki age, morote gari, ushiro goshi, ura nage, okuri ashi barai, sukui nage, tomoe nage, utsuri goshi, o goshi, kibisu gaeshi

Last edited:
Dude, seriously?!?!
Japanese for SLAM is スラム (katakana only, no pictographic character), which is pronounced SURAMU. Take a while guess why...

I don't know how common it is in Japanese, but the character is 摔

Regardless if 摔 or suramu, it is a better description of Judo techniques.

Back