Official Judo Thread

So happy that streaming has revolutionized viewing Olympic events. NBC in the US keeps creating these three hour blocks where they say they'll cover multiple sports, but then go ahead and only focus on the most well known sport. That's in addition to the coverage the popular events already get.

Unfortunately, not all of the coverage has commentary, which as a Judo news, I prefer to have.

Man I meant to watch Judo and missed it, I got pro wrestling and Judo to watch. In 2012 I got inspired to do Judo and I got injured in my first week ruining my ankle and my calf for a month and and never went back and I regret it. Is there a place where I can watch this on replay?

I hope Korea can get some gold in Judo today.

Isn't the "leg grab" rule kinda like the "leg reaping" in the IBJJF.
It looks like you can make your opponent touch your leg with his forearm after your failed your attack,
just like you can take your opponnent foot and make him reap your leg in the IBJJF.

i'm already sick of seeing people game the rules. especially this running away bullshit.

Damn, Iartcev's tai otoshi was sweet. I hope Lasha wins this match. I am a big fan of him.

i'm already sick of seeing people game the rules. especially this running away bullshit.

I agree. It seems more blatant at the Olympics than at any other world level judo I've seen.

Romania with that throw! Hot damn!

Delpopo in the quarter finals!

Shohei Ono might be the greatest in-prime judoka since Kimura himself. The guy is just simply unbelievable. Dude just fucking toyed with the defending Olympic Champ. When he fights, it just seems like he's on such another level than his opponent. His undefeated streak of 2.5 years now continues into the semi-finals.

He still has two fights to go, but it's going to take something close to a miracle for one of the remaining guys to beat him.

Ono is incredible but the other guys are murderers, it's a strong division. Rooting for Ono to deliver a gold for Japan here. Tenri will deliver again!

Downer that Delpopo lost tho.

Ono is incredible but the other guys are murderers, it's a strong division. Rooting for Ono to deliver a gold for Japan here. Tenri will deliver again!

Downer that Delpopo lost tho.

Yup there are tons of incredible judokas in this division - and Ono has obliterated them all for the last two years. Let's look at the other three semi-finalists - Rustam Orujov, Van Tichelt, Saki Muji - all world class international champions. Ono is a combined 7-0 against them and he's scored in every match. He faced Orujov in February, ragdolled him and armbarred him to a sub and Muji was ippon'd twice in a combined 42 seconds. The wild card is Van Tichelt who has worlds of experience and whom hasn't fought Ono since 2013.

Revel in what you see with Shohei Ono - regardless of what happens here at his first Olympics, this guy has a legitimate chance of going down in history as the greatest judoka to ever live. This is a 73kg guy who dominates Teddy Riner in sparring - it's going to be very hard pressed for a guy at 73kg to ever beat him.

Judoka clearly have a different approach to submission than BJJ competitors. I'm watching CBC coverage and a Portuguese girl had an armbar on a French competitor. She was hipping in hard for a good 2-3 seconds after her opponent started tapping, during which she clearly injured the arm. Seems like a significant lack of respect/restraint.

Edit: Are you guys watching preliminary matches? Where? US NBC and Canadian CBC both seem to only broadcast the semis and up.

Last edited:
Judoka clearly have a different approach to submission than BJJ competitors. I'm watching CBC coverage and a Portuguese girl had an armbar on a French competitor. She was hipping in hard for a good 2-3 seconds after her opponent started tapping, during which she clearly injured the arm. Seems like a significant lack of respect/restraint.

Edit: Are you guys watching preliminary matches? Where? US NBC and Canadian CBC both seem to only broadcast the semis and up.

For the most part, judoka resist the submission way more aggressively than BJJ guys do, and the refs don't accept taps they don't see very clearly. This means you got to hit your opponent super hard with the submission and not really give a fuck about it.

It's actually an annoying part of judo newaza ... in my experience, BJJ guys will know when they are caught and tap earlier, whereas with judoka you really have to hammer the sub home to get the tap.

I think part of the reason for this is that in judo newaza rules, the ref will stop the newaza and save the competitor with a restart if the sub attempt drags on. Toughing it out is critical, while in BJJ, nobody is going to save you and restart things. You are stuck with no hope of rescue by ref, and toughing subs out is much less useful.

You see some of the conflict with how people feel about the Camarillos, who hit the armbar so hard they jack up the arm, giving no chance to tap. In competitive judo, that's how it's done. In BJJ, you are considered an asshole if you hit the arm that hard and fast. This is because voluntary tapping plays a much bigger role in BJJ.

Japan's women are getting shut out here. Matsumoto falls in the semis to a Mongorian.

If you're on the NBC app you can click the video game headphones and select 'No Commentary' to shut Neil Adams up.

Gonna be Rafael Silva of Brazil against unspellable Mongolian for the 57kg women Finals. Romania and Japan to cry for bronze.

Ono now up against Sideways-Germany guy.

Back