Official Judo Thread

Yeah,
the beauty of grappling is that there's no silver bullet. everything has a counter. it's all risk/reward.

as for the spazzing, you're gonna have that with beginners. you can tell people to focus on technique til the cows come home but they're gonna want to 'oomph' everything and look like the big boys. it's the beginner's curse and a bit of Dunning/Kruger. it's why kids head into the terrain park their first day on a snowboard. it's why people hurt themselves crossfitting. .

How do you handle overly aggressive lower belts that are often bigger than you ? It feels like my choices are either to give minimal resistance and more or less let them toss me around or try and counter which increase the risk of injury for both of us.

Its very frustrating. Especially because I took a bad fall after one guy asked me to go light. So instead of attacking like I normally do I let him throw me and im sore the next day.

i have no idea, i'm bigger than almost everybody. people think they've gotta throw me at 100% regardless of how light we're going.

slap harder? i guess? you can usually tell someone's motives as soon as you grip up. if they're trying to just beast mode you though the mat shut their shit down mercilessly. if they're making an earnest effort i just jump the throw and take the fall.

i don't assume anyone's going to throw me safely.

the worst are the people who fight being thrown at all. i don't randori is necessarily about giving falls, more about taking falls. like if they did a decent job with kazushi and are in a good position, i'll just go over.

conversely, if people are trying to just shut my shit down i'll crack the whip a few times until they knock it off.

back when Grandmaster was still around I was the enforcer. when there was an overzealous white belt shitstomping the less-able white belts or trying to win the olympics against smaller or female higher ranks, he'd get my attention, point at them, and say 'osotogari.'

which i was always okay with. i figure if someone wants to go full speed, they can fall full speed.

Yeah,

How do you handle overly aggressive lower belts that are often bigger than you ? It feels like my choices are either to give minimal resistance and more or less let them toss me around or try and counter which increase the risk of injury for both of us.

Its very frustrating. Especially because I took a bad fall after one guy asked me to go light. So instead of attacking like I normally do I let him throw me and im sore the next day.
Overly aggressive? I personally found that sacrifice throws tend to work well in that case. They counter the aggression well, and after taking a few, beginners tend to tone things down a bit (then again, I haven't had to train with anyone who's really bloodthirsty). I also agree that you shouldn't fight it when they throw you. However, that doesn't mean that you need to be a dummy for them to chuck around at will. Just use some movement and make sure that when they throw you, it's something that you saw coming and can fall safely from.

If your legs are decently long also, osoto gari still works well to teach people about falls. I'm relatively lanky, so that works for me, even if people are a lot heavier than I am.

Yeah,

Suplex.
#SuplexEverything #SuplexCuresCancer

O Soto Gari and Ura Nage are the standard behavioral adjustments.

If it's newaza time, just pretend it's vintage Miami Vice and go Neon Everything.

Yeah,

As you get better it's quite easy to avoid their aggression. Some people prefer keeping distance through grips, but I prefer just moving slightly so their throw is ineffective. No need to let yourself be thrown.

The only thing you want to avoid at this point in time is letting your opponent get power grips on you (over the top, belt, etc.). That is a difficult situation to handle and one where injury can happen more easily.

Got beat up again last night. Problem is my partner is a former or current wrestler and he's probably better at throwing people than I am. He's adapted to the gi and has picked up judo pretty fast. But he overcommits to everything and does it 100 percent all the time. His technique is rough.

I'm not talented enough to suplex him or avoid him consistently , and when I try I just get hurt any way. For example I last night was able to avoid a osotgari attempt but we ended up clashing heads because he has a low stance and leads with his head. That didn't seem to bother him though.

Its gonna have to be someone else to be the "enforcer". The one brown belt we have did tell him to stop leading with his head and change his posture.

yeah, wrestlers don't fuck around. there's no 'let's go easy', and if there is it's still like 90% of the intensity from your average person.

it's not all bad though. it sucks if they're making uchikomi and nagekomi difficult, but it's almost naive to expect them to go easy during randori.

eat a sandwich, lift some weights, and learn to kick his ass.

The truth is that it will be a long journey, and always someone who will beat you up for a long time before you can surpass him. You just have to keep working at it. You have to practice with all types of people to learn, and conversely you can't beat him by just practicing with him either. If he's wrecking you then it's okay (sometimes) to pick another partner.

I'm having to cut way back on judo. The hand/finger injuries are just too detrimental to my career as a musician. I'm sure my knees will thank me too!

Sorry Bluesbreaker: the team and I had a meeting and we decided you were coming to Osaka for Batsugun :p Besides, ya'll have a score to settle with the Osaka Kodokan, as I recall....and....we have to try to tee up someone with a tranny again. It's a tradition by this point...and I think "George Clooney" is getting lonely.

Onq keeps telling me when I come visit he's gonna take me up to Hokkaido, drug me, and sell my butt to the Russians.

Sorry Bluesbreaker: the team and I had a meeting and we decided you were coming to Osaka for Batsugun :p Besides, ya'll have a score to settle with the Osaka Kodokan, as I recall....and....we have to try to tee up someone with a tranny again. It's a tradition by this point...and I think "George Clooney" is getting lonely.
Tranny? I don't know what you're talking about.

Tranny? I don't know what you're talking about.

Let me help you with that crippling memory loss

55eb2d4a2ce2345861a945b56b5d16bf.jpg

nPpaS.jpg

$450/hr is a bit rich though. Might have to ask ol' George about that one tomorrow.

The ones who get paid money to have a certain verdict? Nah, no conflict of interest there.
You mean "the ones who get paid to research, compile, and analyze climate and weather data, regardless of what the results are"?

Back