Official Judo Thread

giphy.gif

This is my last post to you. You can take it for what it's worth.

You can act like a troll online and feel good about yourself in the short term, or you can be intellectually honest and fix the shit in your life. Do you act this way in real life to people who disagree with you? Is the USJA guy really an ass who won't promote you, or do you have a chip on your shoulder? How long are you going to work in a bar? Have you finished school or started a real career? How did all of the above affect your relationship?

Don't bother to answer. I don't know the whole stories and I don't care. It's for you to deal with.

Regretfully, I let you drag me into this shit show as well. Goodbye.

i gave myself a black belt and college degree...in my MIND

Sooooooo what'd you guys think of the Grand Prix? I kinda dig the new rules. I'd still like to see a noncombativity shido given out for turtling but other than that I didn't mind the play too much.

I think I'd like to see them upgrade wazari to the old wazari. i get that they still want to have a winner in a given time limit but when contests come down to what used to be a yuko it's kinda meh.

kinda lame to see a few people just lay there for the last ten seconds of a pin in a gold medal match, but I feel kinda stupid criticizing the efforts of people in a gold medal grand slam match because I've never been that good.

refereeing's gonna be fun this year....

Has judo always had a high degree of risk compared to other grappling sports , or is this a new trend?

I think any sport in which you grab another person and try to make them fly should have a fair amount of risk

Sooo many shidos handed out today. Don't think it's helping to make judo anymore "tv friendly"

if they'd ditch the dinner jacket and wear white/blue wristbands we could award shidos in real time without having to stand people up and make them fix their jammies.

i'll bitch about the noncombativity shido for turtling until they change that fucking rule.

in my perfect world all pajama grappling would follow the American Sambo Association "A" Division rules.

if they'd ditch the dinner jacket and wear white/blue wristbands we could award shidos in real time without having to stand people up and make them fix their jammies.

i'll bitch about the noncombativity shido for turtling until they change that fucking rule.

in my perfect world all pajama grappling would follow the American Sambo Association "A" Division rules.
My buddies judo club goes out to Iowa periodically for sambo seminars with guys from the ASA

WHAT? where? some buddies of mine went out to Russia a few years ago with sambosteve.

what do you mean? injury-wise?

I mean most scoring moves in judo like uchi mata or seionage require a big commitment on the part of the attacker and have multiple counters.

Compare that to boxing where one can throw a jab and still be relatively safe. One can also throw mostly jabs in a fight and still be pretty active. However in Judo it seems like everything is a big committed attack or someone is stalling.

Also ive come to the realization that that the curriculum at the place I train is geared to 30+ year old beginners and I'm in my 20's and have doing this for 7 years ( though only 2 times a week)

No wonder a lot of time I'm bored or trying to avoid getting hurt by spazzy people.

Last edited:
that's the way the sport has been trending. they want to see big, flashy, impressive throws that you don't see in wrestling.

it's why they're so quick to stand people up from a turtle. they don't want to 'waste time' on effective grappling when you can just stand people up and give them more chances to throw. is that 'realistic'? meh. we're wearing pajamas and fighting under a limited ruleset on foamy mats.

the IJF thinks these constant changes will somehow cater a highlight sport to a nonexistent audience yet most matches still revolve around grip-fighting, resetting the action, or letting people groom themselves.

i think for people from a wrestling background or people who watch MMA the lack of leg offense seems kinda silly. you'd think the pajamas and armbars would be enough to differentiate the sport, and you'd think you'd want to get some crossover audience from the other two sports, yet the powers-that-be seem to be more interested in convincing everyone how unique and special they are.

the beauty of grappling is that there's no silver bullet. everything has a counter. it's all risk/reward.

as for the spazzing, you're gonna have that with beginners. you can tell people to focus on technique til the cows come home but they're gonna want to 'oomph' everything and look like the big boys. it's the beginner's curse and a bit of Dunning/Kruger. it's why kids head into the terrain park their first day on a snowboard. it's why people hurt themselves crossfitting. it's why people want to argue with climate scientists. proficiency in even the basics of a something takes a considerable amount of time and effort and most people just lack the patience or self-awareness to realize how little their opinion means.

Back