Official Judo Thread

My current judo teacher thinks training with the gi and focusing on tachi wazi develops sensitivity to balance and timing more than training ne waza or no gi, and he is also a brown belt in BJJ with no gi experience as well.

What do you guys think? Im thinking of possibly doing less judo and training more no gi wrestling.

training judo makes you better at judo. training wrestling makes you better at wrestling.

My current judo teacher thinks training with the gi and focusing on tachi wazi develops sensitivity to balance and timing more than training ne waza or no gi, and he is also a brown belt in BJJ with no gi experience as well.

What do you guys think? Im thinking of possibly doing less judo and training more no gi wrestling.

It usually takes a brown or black BJJ belt to get a sweep on me, unless I'm tired, even though there are many BJJ techniques I may not be fully aware of. I go to BJJ often, but I wouldn't say that I'm a BJJ player - my guard is weak and my submissions are limited. But I have very good positional control, so I can impose my limited game on up to purples.

That said, my balance is good even for a Judo player, and proper use of posture isn't always taught well in Judo.

I don't think it matters which you train in terms of developing general grappling attributes. Good wrestlers have great sensitivity to balance and weak angles, as do good Judoka. The techniques change with and without the gi, but the principles really don't. It just comes down to what you want to train and for what purpose. If you want to compete in the gi or enjoy the gi more, than train more Judo. If you prefer to drop the gi, then wrestling standup is going to be better. I think it's silly to say one is better or worse without qualifying them being better or worse for some particular purpose. If you're indifferent to gi or no, I'd say just train with whoever the better coach is.

I am probably not going to switch gyms, but I am thinking about what sport i want to focus on.

I have competed several times in no gi BJJ but have yet to go to a judo tournament because they are rarer in my particular part of the USA and also my judo coach isn't very competitive. However my BJJ coach is.

If I was to compete in Judo it likely would be without a coach or team mates. This month there is a Judo comp the same day of a tournament my BJJ coach is going to along with my team mates. So im trying to decide what to do.

it's really hard to get better at judo with nobody to throw.

ye be warned: there's
*Not competitive* "let's just focus on playing Judo and ignore being THE BEST/everyone in the region sucks"
and there *not competitive* "my Judo is bad and my cirtus belts gets destroyed by white belt wrestlers with rudimentary technique because i'm a McDojo"

My BJJ coach and my Judo coach both teach at the same gym, which is pretty big. Now that i have been there of a while i realize the judo classes are designed to supplement the BJJ curriculum.. There are only two judo classes there a week but a BJJ class everyday. Its kind of frustrating because I like throwing people around more than i like rolling around on the ground.

that being said I visited a couple gyms in the area and the one im at now had the better judo program.

Its kind of frustrating because I have been doing judo since 2010 but only competed once in it.

you can't really train throwing hard more than three days per week. you need the day off between sessions to recover from the bouncing. good programs with competitive programs will alternate days with focus on stuff like S&C, newaza, non-throwy timing-type drills, etc.

the nice thing about BJJ is most people aren't showing up to roll 100% so it's generally less intense and so it's much easier to alternate between the two arts and feel like you're improving and keeping at the grind without grinding yourself down.

you need rest days.

I am probably not going to switch gyms, but I am thinking about what sport i want to focus on.

I have competed several times in no gi BJJ but have yet to go to a judo tournament because they are rarer in my particular part of the USA and also my judo coach isn't very competitive. However my BJJ coach is.

If I was to compete in Judo it likely would be without a coach or team mates. This month there is a Judo comp the same day of a tournament my BJJ coach is going to along with my team mates. So im trying to decide what to do.

Focus on the one you have better coaches in, especially for Judo (imo). For Judo, it's not just about putting time in. You could be doing things wrong for a very long time, and there are many poor coaches in the US who won't be able to help you.

I'd be so bold as to post videos and let sherdog have at it. Either it's worth it or just go with the flow with BJJ.

Focus on the one you have better coaches in, especially for Judo (imo). For Judo, it's not just about putting time in. You could be doing things wrong for a very long time, and there are many poor coaches in the US who won't be able to help you.

I'd be so bold as to post videos and let sherdog have at it. Either it's worth it or just go with the flow with BJJ.

Ain't that the truth. There are so few good Judo coaches in the US, even relative to the small number of dojos, it's sad. I was a black belt before I ever had good coaching, and it led me to still have worse fundamentals than good brown belts from better programs.

Jimmy Pedro posts almost weekly videos and the top youtube results for most judo throws are Brian Jones from Sakura dojo o_O

Thanks. I
you can't really train throwing hard more than three days per week. you need the day off between sessions to recover from the bouncing. good programs with competitive programs will alternate days with focus on stuff like S&C, newaza, non-throwy timing-type drills, etc.

the nice thing about BJJ is most people aren't showing up to roll 100% so it's generally less intense and so it's much easier to alternate between the two arts and feel like you're improving and keeping at the grind without grinding yourself down.

you need rest days.

This is very reassuring, as a lot of my time in judo class is spent on timing and foot work drills. I wondered if it was because my coach was too soft but thinking more about it he is wise to teach the way he does. Not many people are in the judo classes compared to BJJ. He probably teaches the way he does so people come to it.

I will try to post a video of me at judo class later. I could use the feedback.

Since I train at a BJJ gym im gonna embrace the bjj competition. I'm not sure if my BJJ coach is better than the judo coach but he is there more and wiling to help me develop my strategy and coach me at tournaments every month.

Drilling these fundamentals are important for your competitive judo, but also for the safety of everyone in the class. There's nothing worse than guys going out and just destroying knees in randori.

citrus belt tai otoshi *shudders*

We talked about that yesterday lols.

We do 10 min randori , 20 min nage komi and 30 min working on timing footwork with a specific grip or handwork motion designed to setup a throw . It feels very odd to spend so much time on working on setups and timing rather than throwing, but I guess this is how one learns judo after doing it for over 5 years like I have.

Only 10 minutes of randori??? If you had said 90 minutes 3 days of week...

Randori is the backbone of improving skills, people should learn to do it safely from the very start. You can become decent in judo without top coaching or tons of drills but not without good randori/shiai.

What makes you better in judo is the guys you are sparring against, thats what matters most.

amen to that. Judo without Randori is Kata.

Yeah my training is not ideal. 2 days a week I do a sparring heavy Mauy Thai class and try to clinch and throw people there. There is a surprising amount of overlap. I'm the only student that likes to clinch haha.

There is also one takedown heavy BJJ class a week as well where we actually fight on the feet.

It feels like a bigger problem is I don't know how many throws/ takedowns I should try to get good at. Should I try to get good at double leg/ single leg as well as judo throws, or focus on the upper body type throws?

Last edited:
wrestling/scrambling for top control is one of the best standup grappling skills you can master. not so much a technique as an algorithm towards a goal you know?

as far as the throws, those that fit your body type will come most naturally, but the nice thing about variety is you can throw damn near anything in the right context. if you like a particular throw it's like any other motor skill: practice and refine.

do yourself a favor and don't reply on slop in your first year of Judo. make the effort to hone and strengthen your sleeve/collar throws. you can wrap most people up and drag them to the ground. tackles and suplexes are absolutely legitimate and have their place in Judo.

but if you wanna tackle/suplex, wrestling is much better. Judo's mostly forward throws and trips, all with a gi. not saying nogi Judo doesn't exist, just saying it's basically freestyle with chokes and armbars

wrestling/scrambling for top control is one of the best standup grappling skills you can master. not so much a technique as an algorithm towards a goal you know?

as far as the throws, those that fit your body type will come most naturally, but the nice thing about variety is you can throw damn near anything in the right context. if you like a particular throw it's like any other motor skill: practice and refine.

do yourself a favor and don't reply on slop in your first year of Judo. make the effort to hone and strengthen your sleeve/collar throws. you can wrap most people up and drag them to the ground. tackles and suplexes are absolutely legitimate and have their place in Judo.

but if you wanna tackle/suplex, wrestling is much better. Judo's mostly forward throws and trips, all with a gi. not saying nogi Judo doesn't exist, just saying it's basically freestyle with chokes and armbars
RJ, the last paragraph sounds like your family name is Yamamoto :)
Does that mean that in wrestling you cant throw forward and wrestlers only hit shots and suplexes?

Judo is what you do within the rule set.
You want to hit suplex? I dont care.
You want to hit uchimata? I dont care.
As a matter of fact, I dont care what you want to hit at all. Just get that damn ippon or wazaari at least

Back