Official Judo Thread

not yet, but she wants to elope soon?
like reeeeeaaal soon.

don't tell Onq, this'll probably shut down down my trip to Japan this winter.

Cool. Eloping is the way to go. My wife and I basically did that, though we took our immediate family. It worked out great, much less stressful.

not yet, but she wants to elope soon?
like reeeeeaaal soon.

don't tell Onq, this'll probably shut down down my trip to Japan this winter.
For a second year, dude?!?!
You couldnt fit in wedding presentation for the wife, with honeymoon trip to Osaka included???

For a second year, dude?!?!
You couldnt fit in wedding presentation for the wife, with honeymoon trip to Osaka included???

That was my first thought. Honeymoon in Japan! Judo and Snu Snu!

i mean...Hawaii is halfway...and December is a perfectly acceptable month for eloping...and i could just not tell her...

That's almost better than the Japanese parliamentarian's tomoenage

For the most part, judoka resist the submission way more aggressively than BJJ guys do, and the refs don't accept taps they don't see very clearly. This means you got to hit your opponent super hard with the submission and not really give a fuck about it.

It's actually an annoying part of judo newaza ... in my experience, BJJ guys will know when they are caught and tap earlier, whereas with judoka you really have to hammer the sub home to get the tap.

I think part of the reason for this is that in judo newaza rules, the ref will stop the newaza and save the competitor with a restart if the sub attempt drags on. Toughing it out is critical, while in BJJ, nobody is going to save you and restart things. You are stuck with no hope of rescue by ref, and toughing subs out is much less useful.

You see some of the conflict with how people feel about the Camarillos, who hit the armbar so hard they jack up the arm, giving no chance to tap. In competitive judo, that's how it's done. In BJJ, you are considered an asshole if you hit the arm that hard and fast. This is because voluntary tapping plays a much bigger role in BJJ.

That's shitty.

i completely understand not wanting to bust someone's elbow. especially in training.

that being said, some people have a big ego when it comes time to tap. this is what we call a 'teaching moment.'

to quote sensei: "Best teacher is pain but nobody take his class."

I dunno, the guy who always took armbars to pain point on me was a BJJ guy, from Brazil. Granted I never got actually injured, but it sucked and certainly made me tap early as possible. It wasn't me being stubborn, he just went from 0 to 60 in a snap.

I dunno, the guy who always took armbars to pain point on me was a BJJ guy, from Brazil. Granted I never got actually injured, but it sucked and certainly made me tap early as possible. It wasn't me being stubborn, he just went from 0 to 60 in a snap.

I have a two strike rule on that. You get one that might be an accident, you crank something too hard twice, I'm not going to train with you anymore. I only have one body, it's not going to get wrecked because of your ego.

in practicei try to roll 50-80% with most people, and when rolling against someone less skilled i try to leave obvious opportunities for subs and generally try to play sweeps/escapes.

sometimes it's my fault for being too compliant or calm against an intense white/blue belch

but crank an armbar or wrench my neck? crossfaces and pain compliance. borderline sadism.

teaching moments.

Here's a good little instructional video from the Fuji sports channel. Jimmy Pedro teaching a Ko Soto Gari variation.

Here's a good little instructional video from the Fuji sports channel. Jimmy Pedro teaching a Ko Soto Gari variation.

I use this variation a lot.
But in general, when talking about "pancake" throw, in East Europe means more of a kataguruma style throw.

eastern europeans don't eat real pancakes Onq. the word you're looking for is 'potato' or more commonly 'vodka egg'.

Anybody here that remember the late english heavyweight Elvis Gordon? A great judoka that always went on the mat to get the Ippon;

I wanna see Shohei Ono compete in 2020 and get the gold again!

Back