Official Judo Thread

The osekomi changes things.

Hell after a year of finally resisting the urge to panic when guard is passed, I train with my old judo coach, he passes, I keep working thinking nothing of it and then he reminds me I was just pinned for ippon 10 seconds ago.....right as I regain half guard

At BJJ if ive passed guard (osoto best guard pass!) I can maintain osekomi for quite a while, but what good does it do for me developmentally? So I find myself learning the hardway to transition from safe positions to sub's without getting caught.

Different sports.

I think it's pretty unlike you'd submit a BJJ BB, but you will throw them and if they get you to the ground they won't have time to work their game. But yeah, ultimately it's all determined by the rules. Judo guys are going to be the best at the matwork in Judo, that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Not unlikely at all; been there done that - and in a general newaza session never the less. BJJ brown and BB with little competitive judo experience can easily get into trouble on the ground under judo rules. Heck, I have seen BJJ blackbelt tap out to judokas even under BJJ rules so why should it be unlikely to submit or pin them under judo rule?

When playing under judo rules and I ouchi gari a BJJ BB for waza-ari ending up in his guard I am not obliged to charge - I can just disengage, stall to get a standing reset. Next time I do the same throw the guy twist to his stomach to avoid the score and then I immediatly take his back attacking with a clock choke, bow n' arrow or a rolling juji. BJJ guys are generally not that happy to defend from their stomach or turtle but they often end up there anyway under judo rules...

Different sports.

This.

In BJJ the onus due to rules is on me to engage when I am inside the guard or if I'm pinning someone I will win in judo while the BJJ guy under me can just say that I am "stalling" when I immobilize him...

speaking of sandbagging I think I'm finally testing! Judo of course. it's too fun being the worlds best white belt at BJJ.
Best of luck RJ, hope all goes well, am sure you'll fly through it

I was on vacation in Iceland last week, and as I was bringing back the rental car, in he town of Grindavik, I saw a sign for a judo school. I looked through the window and see a few guys, one who was pretty big, probably about 230 lbs. I wanted to go in and see if, in a remarkable case of serendipity, if it was the Osoto master himself. Unfortunately my wife told me to get the hell back in the car or we would miss our flight. Maybe it's best that I never know ...

don't worry Ippy i asked wifey if she wanted Andy Dwyer or Star Lord and she said Andy Dwyer so I'm eating everything and getting fat as fuck.

but i'm lifting all the weights and jiggling my way through interval sprints so that's fun. i'd be okay with it if my climbing skills weren't going to shit :(

don't worry Ippy i asked wifey if she wanted Andy Dwyer or Star Lord and she said Andy Dwyer so I'm eating everything and getting fat as fuck.

but i'm lifting all the weights and jiggling my way through interval sprints so that's fun. i'd be okay with it if my climbing skills weren't going to shit :(
Does your gi still fit, bro?

Mine still fits great even though I literally packed on like 15-20lbs of muscle in the past two years.

yeah man, i got one of those reversible fujis and i'd have to play up to fattyweight to fill it out enough to see my sternum. shit's like a bathrobe. i miss my eurocomp.

yeah man, i got one of those reversible fujis and i'd have to play up to fattyweight to fill it out enough to see my sternum. shit's like a bathrobe. i miss my eurocomp.
So wait, are you doing some accidental bulking or not? I'm so confused.

You got married? To C? Congratulations! How did I miss that on Facebook?

You got married? To C? Congratulations! How did I miss that on Facebook?

not yet, but she wants to elope soon?
like reeeeeaaal soon.

don't tell Onq, this'll probably shut down down my trip to Japan this winter.

Back