Official Judo Thread X: Triple Weave Edition

USA Judo is a ponzi scheme.

If anybody wants to go visit Onq for the Winter Batsugun i'm hoping I can make that work this year.
Too bad I spent time in Montreal (great training there but ate too much) and have no more money to travel this year but have to go to Japan before getting older hahaha...

except overpriced BJJ items- just came home from Isami shop, where they are asking for 350 usd for mat timer. I prefer to buy an iPad and install wrestling timer app.

Isami is ridiculous. I remember they had a $200 plastic poncho one time....They have a sale twice a year where everything is like 50% off. I'd go and load up on RVDDW stuff.

I used to go to Japan 2-3 times a year when I lived in Korea. What I found to be expensive was public transport and shopping in general. You can travel frugally over there, though. I love Japan.

I've got a great problem! Training hard lately, just received my ikkyu (1st brown) and feeling solid.

About to graduate and I've landed my dream job, I'm going to be on an island teaching marine science. Sadly, no gyms or even mats on said island. Best thing I can do to keep sharp? Bringing my gi and a light extra top.

Also, admit I'm bummed because I'm going to look to compete again someday and I'll be a very rusty brand new brown as compared to a very rusty experienced green haha.

Edit: I've heard differing things. If I compete at NAGA in gi, do I go white belt? I'm not a competition monster but I've placed in a few local tournaments in judo, nothing major but I am comfortable. Never practiced BJJ.

Last edited:
I've got a great problem! Training hard lately, just received my ikkyu (1st brown) and feeling solid.

About to graduate and I've landed my dream job, I'm going to be on an island teaching marine science. Sadly, no gyms or even mats on said island. Best thing I can do to keep sharp? Bringing my gi and a light extra top.

Also, admit I'm bummed because I'm going to look to compete again someday and I'll be a very rusty brand new brown as compared to a very rusty experienced green haha.

Edit: I've heard differing things. If I compete at NAGA in gi, do I go white belt? I'm not a competition monster but I've placed in a few local tournaments in judo, nothing major but I am comfortable. Never practiced BJJ.

I travel a pretty big amount through Europe for work and mostly its easy to find good judo/grappling clubs but occasionally I find myself stuck without training partners. I'm not sure what age you are but I honestly find that at 35 a combination of Yoga/flexibility/hiit/fit ins (with elastics) are pretty good if I want to keep ticking over. Also if you can invest in an agility ladder to maintain fast feet. Speed Kills!!!

As for the Bjj tournament, my advice is jump in at white belt. Its a different sport and I found it difficult to adapt, particularly no gi where I lost my gripping advantage. If you smash everyone, move up a level next time, if you find it competitive/get smashed all's good, its excellent training. Don't be overly worried about people shouting sandbagger, its not the Olympics. Just go compete and enjoy the day. Best advice....grip fight for your life!

I travel a pretty big amount through Europe for work and mostly its easy to find good judo/grappling clubs but occasionally I find myself stuck without training partners. I'm not sure what age you are but I honestly find that at 35 a combination of Yoga/flexibility/hiit/fit ins (with elastics) are pretty good if I want to keep ticking over. Also if you can invest in an agility ladder to maintain fast feet. Speed Kills!!!

As for the Bjj tournament, my advice is jump in at white belt. Its a different sport and I found it difficult to adapt, particularly no gi where I lost my gripping advantage. If you smash everyone, move up a level next time, if you find it competitive/get smashed all's good, its excellent training. Don't be overly worried about people shouting sandbagger, its not the Olympics. Just go compete and enjoy the day. Best advice....grip fight for your life!

Very much appreciated, gonna take you up on the ladder, very smart; I have my elastics ready haha already planning a tree to work on.

Thanks for the tournament advice! Yeah didn't mean to sound too full of myself, honestly curious how the transition will go, guess we'll see.

Compete as a white belt. No offense, but a brown belt in Judo isn't going to mean all that much in BJJ competition. Your grip fighting and throws will be better for sure, but on the mat I wouldn't expect you to be significantly better than most white belts in most positions (though your top control will most likely be better than theirs).

I have just started competing in BJJ and also want to compete in Judo. Are judo tournament harder on the body than BJJ?

I have just started competing in BJJ and also want to compete in Judo. Are judo tournament harder on the body than BJJ?

Honestly at a beginner's level, it won't matter, on the feet it will certainly be faster so concentrate on a high tempo and attack. Try not to be caught waiting for the perfect moment, just go, compete and enjoy it.

Just make sure to train under Judo comp rules coming up to the tournament as it is too easy to find yourself shido'd into a silly loss. As earlier speed kills in judo, so get your grips and attack, don't be too worried about damage, it may never happen.

Generally speaking yeah. BJJ is just people pulling on your body parts until you tell them to stop. Judo is people trying to bounce you back-first off the ground as hard as they can.

Gentlemen,

I got an idea of using cable cross machine for uchikomi practice. When I compare it to a rubber band I feel that it is more realistic and allows practicing throws execution. Rubber band is only good for practicing entering into the throw.

Please, take a look and let me know what you think about that. Note that I am only white belt in judo, and my technique is nowhere near perfect (comments on that are welcome, too).

Gentlemen,

I got an idea of using cable cross machine for uchikomi practice. When I compare it to a rubber band I feel that it is more realistic and allows practicing throws execution. Rubber band is only good for practicing entering into the throw.

Please, take a look and let me know what you think about that. Note that I am only white belt in judo, and my technique is nowhere near perfect (comments on that are welcome, too).

My advice, is that you should put this training on pause for a little bit, because as you're doing it at the moment you're, at best going to not progress, and at worse end up going backwards.

There are two reasons for this:
1. The movements you're writing into muscle memory aren't the ones you want to be writing in i.e practice makes permanent, not perfect
2. The piece of equipment you're working with isn't going to replicate resistance in the way you need.

With Uchikomi it's crucial that you observe the triangle and that your arm action breaks uke's balance by bringing his chest across his own balance line and towards you.

This video is an excellent example

[/QUOTE]

What you're training yourself to do there is step in to uke without off balancing him over his balance line, meaning you'll create hip crash for yourself and knock uke back on balance and you're not training your arms to do what they need to do.

TI194mZ.png.png

hipcrash.png

I know why you're doing this because it's quite awkward to get that machine to give resistance in a meaningful way on the way in and like everyone else when they were a white belt are still struggling with compartmentalising the throw.

I would refer you to my old Sherdog threads, but they been ruined by the update and all the images/text wiped. So I'll refer you to the blog.

Wrecked sherdog thread:http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/kuzushi-how-to-do-it-and-how-to-drill-it.1823001/

Blog posts
The triangle: http://thedifficultway.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/triangle.html

Drilling kuzuhsi: http://thedifficultway.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/drilling-kuzushi.html

Gentlemen,

I'll confess I watched you doing Uchi Mata and then skipped ahead to the end of the video, but there is something on Uchi Mata I want to pick up on, because a mistake you were making is very common, all the way up to black belt level and is a pet peeve of mine.

Correct body positioning for Uchi mata is almost exactly the same as that of Tsurikomi goshi,

UMbodyposit1.png

For this reason I advise everyone trying to develop their Uchi mata to spend some time working on that throw first and then returning to Uchi mata once some basic proficiency is achieved.

The central issue to ensuring correct body positioning is making chest contact and maintaining chest contact between tori and uke throughout the technique.

In order to ensure this chest contact head positioning must be correct.

Head drop is the killer here.

The main error in head positioning for Uchi mata, which directly causes the main error in body positioning i.e lack of chest contact. Is that people collapse their head when trying to complete the technique.

UMbodyposit1.png

This is what you're doing, bending over at the waist and basically just dropping your head.

RzcFYLB.png

Bent over at the waist, looking down at the floor and with their hands trailing behind their head.

From this position you have not only lost control of uke, but are unable to apply any power.

To ensure correct head positioning rotate your head through a rough 90 degree arc in the direction of the side of your body off of which uke will be thrown.

uchimataheadposit8.png

uchimataheadposit6.png

In addition to not collapsing your head and keeping it in the correct arc. It is also important not to over rotate the head.

Often in Judo we’re told to look where we throw, bizarrely this always seems to translate into people turning and looking over their shoulder in exactly the opposite place to where their uke will be thrown into.

A simple test for whether you’re over rotating is which box do you finish the throw looking in red or blue

uchimataheadposit7.png

If you said blue, you’re over rotating.

So, remember one and all, when doing Uchi Mata ensure chest contact, throw by rotating and not by dropping your head and bending over at the waist.

2. The piece of equipment you're working with isn't going to replicate resistance in the way you need.

With Uchikomi it's crucial that you observe the triangle and that your arm action breaks uke's balance by bringing his chest across his own balance line and towards you.

This video is an excellent example

Thank you very much for reviewing my idea. This video tells me that neither rubber band nor cable machine are quite good for the drills. When we pull real human body the force is max in the beginning and gets lower as we pull. Rubber band does the opposite, and the cable stays flat.

Here's a chart to illustrate:

pull.png

JudokaUK always provides a lot of details, but I find it easier to explain the physics behind it. Uchimata is like a two sided lever (mechanical couple), with tori taking uke for a ride like a see saw. As such, you need two points of control to glue uke to your see saw, or he won't rotate. Top and bottom, usually the head and thigh. You need to do both at the same time or uke can avoid rotating.

With a lapel grip, you can't leave your hands behind or else you lose one half of the see saw. That's because the standard grip forces uke's head down with a pushing action, not pulling, as pulling would be too weak. That's why you do it that way like in all those pictures.

But your head angle is not the crux of the problem. It's uke's head. You just need it down. As proof, there are other grips like the collar/back grip that allows you to turn fully and still complete the throw. It's really a matter of grips.

Thank you very much for reviewing my idea. This video tells me that neither rubber band nor cable machine are quite good for the drills.

Don't think of it as a drill. Think of it as play. It won't make you a throwing machine, but you might gain insights from experimenting.

Mindless uchikomi isn't any better.

There are many high level judokas, who use the cable machine to practice their throws.
With a slight difference though.
The cable machine has only one angle and wont be shifting its weigth any time soon, so the reason why those judokas are using it, is only to drill unballancing a strong opponent (because they can load on the weigths, opposite to the rubber bands).
If you just started judo, Id suggest to concentrate on the rubber bands for your entries and after you have perfected the throw position, to turn to this kind of practice.

Compete as a white belt. No offense, but a brown belt in Judo isn't going to mean all that much in BJJ competition. Your grip fighting and throws will be better for sure, but on the mat I wouldn't expect you to be significantly better than most white belts in most positions (though your top control will most likely be better than theirs).

Not offended at all, appreciated. Thank you for the input. We'll see how it goes.

I would just stay fit. Lift weights and do calisthenics to stay limber and strong.

I frequently take long-ass breaks in between judo (sometimes upwards of a month) due to work. I do, however, weight-lift before work and then do some sort of calisthenic/bodyweight crap for conditioning and strength after work.

As a result, my physical ability in judo doesn't really drop. The only thing that does drop is timing (and this is probably because I'm just a blue belt more than anything else) and the ability to deal with the ass-kicking of being thrown full-force onto the mat.

I like to drill the movement of throws that I know pretty well while I wait for dinner to cook though. No idea whether it's actually effective or not.

I'll confess I watched you doing Uchi Mata and then skipped ahead to the end of the video, but there is something on Uchi Mata I want to pick up on, because a mistake you were making is very common, all the way up to black belt level and is a pet peeve of mine.

Correct body positioning for Uchi mata is almost exactly the same as that of Tsurikomi goshi,

UMbodyposit1.png

For this reason I advise everyone trying to develop their Uchi mata to spend some time working on that throw first and then returning to Uchi mata once some basic proficiency is achieved.

The central issue to ensuring correct body positioning is making chest contact and maintaining chest contact between tori and uke throughout the technique.

In order to ensure this chest contact head positioning must be correct.

Head drop is the killer here.

The main error in head positioning for Uchi mata, which directly causes the main error in body positioning i.e lack of chest contact. Is that people collapse their head when trying to complete the technique.

UMbodyposit1.png

This is what you're doing, bending over at the waist and basically just dropping your head.

RzcFYLB.png

Bent over at the waist, looking down at the floor and with their hands trailing behind their head.

From this position you have not only lost control of uke, but are unable to apply any power.

To ensure correct head positioning rotate your head through a rough 90 degree arc in the direction of the side of your body off of which uke will be thrown.

uchimataheadposit8.png

uchimataheadposit6.png

In addition to not collapsing your head and keeping it in the correct arc. It is also important not to over rotate the head.

Often in Judo we’re told to look where we throw, bizarrely this always seems to translate into people turning and looking over their shoulder in exactly the opposite place to where their uke will be thrown into.

A simple test for whether you’re over rotating is which box do you finish the throw looking in red or blue

uchimataheadposit7.png

If you said blue, you’re over rotating.

So, remember one and all, when doing Uchi Mata ensure chest contact, throw by rotating and not by dropping your head and bending over at the waist.

I was taught in Harai to look at the blue square ---

I used to have rubber bands but a snsei told me elastic were better and after seeing Neil Adams product I don´t know if rubber good be too hard, seems to kick back...

Back