Official Judo Thread X: Triple Weave Edition

I travel quite a lot and Id say its the same as all major cities around the world (Shanghai is more costly than Tokyo)
And then you should concider the quality- everything in Japan is worthed the price, except overpriced BJJ items- just came home from Isami shop, where they are asking for 350 usd for mat timer. I prefer to buy an iPad and install wrestling timer app.

Is Shanghai really more expensive than Tokyo now? I haven't been there for over a decade, but back then things were crazy cheap. Food was probably 1/4 the cost of the US, and a 4 star hotel room 100 bucks (so also about 1/4).

I thought Tokyo was cheaper than major US cities like NYC and SF, and that was when the exchange rate was 95. Of course I do not have to pay rent there. But SF and NYC have only gotten more expensive...

I was about to find decent meals for 10-15 dollars, club entrances 10-20 in Rappongi, all you can eat and drink bar for 40.

Is Shanghai really more expensive than Tokyo now? I haven't been there for over a decade, but back then things were crazy cheap. Food was probably 1/4 the cost of the US, and a 4 star hotel room 100 bucks (so also about 1/4).

I thought Tokyo was cheaper than major US cities like NYC and SF, and that was when the exchange rate was 95. Of course I do not have to pay rent there. But SF and NYC have only gotten more expensive...

I was about to find decent meals for 10-15 dollars, club entrances 10-20 in Rappongi, all you can eat and drink bar for 40.
Oh yes, Shanghai is in the top 5 most expensive cities in the world now.
When I left Shanghai, my rent was 1100 USD for 70sqm renovated old lane house. You cant be eating local food everyday, if you want to be able to function without diarrhea. And imported food is super expensive.
The foreign oriented restaurants are more expensive than Tokyo and I find it outrageous, when a club wants to charge 20 USD per Gin & Tonic.

Oh, the diarrhea! Glad to know that's still there. I think I had the worse one of my life there. Normally it's one and done, or two and through, but in Shanghai it was like I no longer had sphincters for a week.

i was gonna make a big deal out of it but didn't wanna dox you.

of course, now that you're a 'pro fighter' you'll probably have to start using you real name :D

That's because the belt system don't exist in Japan.
Here people go for dans, not belt color.
And even then, japanese judokas don't really care about dans that much.
So, if the source gives you a certificate directly, why bother jumping through hoops and playing politics, just to get that black belt?
Take a vacation, visit some famous tourist places in Japan, taste the food, train in japanese dojo, compete in Kodokan, get certified through combat, drink sake, buy souveniers for the family, fly home with memories for the rest of your life.

I'd have to be careful if I did that otherwise might burn a lot of bridges. People at my current BJJ focused gym talk bad about guys that go abroad to get BJJ black belts, or change schools to get teaching positions etc. One of the senior BJJ black belts is still a judo Brown belt despite training both disciplines for a number of years.

Nice.

I'm guessing old man UM's back is doing better than the last time I was ITT?

I'd have to be careful if I did that otherwise might burn a lot of bridges. People at my current BJJ focused gym talk bad about guys that go abroad to get BJJ black belts, or change schools to get teaching positions etc. One of the senior BJJ black belts is still a judo Brown belt despite training both disciplines for a number of years.
Replace the words BJJ and Gym with Job and Company :)
Thats real world jujitsu for ya.
There are people, who would spend eternity in the same company and been referred to as the "company man"- a loyal servant, but also one that senior level knows they can abuse for as long as they want, without any risks.
And then you have entrepreneurs.

Situation in judo is a bit different- you are getting your BB from the institution, that created judo. There are no questions, regarding credibility of Kodokan.

Last edited:
from the video i'm not posting because it's not mine: they grip fight for a minute, UM tomoenages the dude for maybe koka and starts to take his back, dude seoi nages him back down into guard and tries to pass, UM throws up an omoplata and takes him over for the sweep, dude exposes his back and UM jumps on and works from the back, then bow-and-arrows the bejesus out of him.

there are also some sweet post-fight pictures that UM could sell as inspirational posters.

from the video i'm not posting because it's not mine: they grip fight for a minute, UM tomoenages the dude for maybe koka and starts to take his back, dude seoi nages him back down into guard and tries to pass, UM throws up an omoplata and takes him over for the sweep, dude exposes his back and UM jumps on and works from the back, then bow-and-arrows the bejesus out of him.

there are also some sweet post-fight pictures that UM could sell as inspirational posters.
Awesome. Hearing about stuff like that makes me realize that I really need to work on my guard, haha. No omoplata sweeps for me... yet
The foreign oriented restaurants are more expensive than Tokyo and I find it outrageous, when a club wants to charge 20 USD per Gin & Tonic.
WTF. That's insane.

Places in bigger/cultured US cities just love to gouge people for their booze. Vegas and Miami come to mind as the worst. I can't speak for NYC or Chiraq but i'm sure the more pretentious places wouldn't bat an eye at a $20 G&T, especially the craft cocktail hipsters doing their own home 'infusions' of what's basically piss, ethanol, and juniper berries.

If you want to enjoy social drinking never bartend. You come to the stark realization everybody's all gussied up and paying 300-1000% margin to hang out in a dark room drinking with people they hate and maybe getting laid. You can basically hole up in your room with a bottle of whiskey and spend the whole weekend basting yourself in your unborn children for a third the cost and almost the same enjoyment as a night on the town.

That's more or less correct, except my tomoe nage would have been a full ippon without question. The only reason I couldn't come up to mount was because I threw him too far. He was pushing in super hard, so when I hit him with the tomoe nage he went way over my head and I couldn't pull myself up before he got to his knees. I then did omoplata, back take, and choke him in pretty short order.

Places in bigger/cultured US cities just love to gouge people for their booze. Vegas and Miami come to mind as the worst. I can't speak for NYC or Chiraq but i'm sure the more pretentious places wouldn't bat an eye at a $20 G&T, especially the craft cocktail hipsters doing their own home 'infusions' of what's basically piss, ethanol, and juniper berries.

If you want to enjoy social drinking never bartend. You come to the stark realization everybody's all gussied up and paying 300-1000% margin to hang out in a dark room drinking with people they hate and maybe getting laid. You can basically hole up in your room with a bottle of whiskey and spend the whole weekend basting yourself in your unborn children for a third the cost and almost the same enjoyment as a night on the town.
This.
I strongly believe, that years spent behind the bar can turn someone to be very antisocial.
I prefer having a bottle of wine in my house with the wife, or a friends couple, playing video games or watching TV series.

except my tomoe nage would have been a full ippon without question.

sorry i under-called it, you threw him out of frame and he's back on all fours when the camera moved back so i assumed he turned.

all the cool kids do tomoenage
giphy.gif

Back