Official Judo Thread VIII

Tai otoshi maybe? That isn't in nage no kata though.

Is it similar to harai in any way or am I getting your description wrong?

It isnt tai otoshi as there is no knee drop.

I thought of the throw as harai like as i load up uke on hip and kick leg back, but the throw itself isnt harai.

Is it in nage no kata? Which set is it in? You mentioned Kata so I'm only thinking in the nage no kata, maybe that's throwing me off.

Possibly uchi Mata?

EDIT: Matt D'Aquino on Uchi Mata

University of Judo - Essential Uchimata setups: http://youtu.be/grz2X63WGe0

Is it in nage no kata? Which set is it in? You mentioned Kata so I'm only thinking in the nage no kata, maybe that's throwing me off.

Possibly uchi Mata?

EDIT: Matt D'Aquino on Uchi Mata

University of Judo - Essential Uchimata setups: http://youtu.be/grz2X63WGe0

This is a good video, I like his setups a lot. Embedded for you:

i think darkslide's favorite throw is o guruma, but i think he has the only computer in maine and it's frozen at the moment.

it's much easier if you spin into it. it's hard as fuck to hit statically. you've gotta lead them to that side and basically do a sidekick.

it sets up like this in real time, but usually with a faster spin. you're basically trying to get out in front of the circle.

it feels 'wrong' to me too. like if uchimata or harai or osoto are thrown from 12:00-6:00, this damn is like tilting it all that 45 degrees and throwing from 9:00-4:00

it's much easier if you spin into it. it's hard as fuck to hit statically. you've gotta lead them to that side and basically do a sidekick.

it sets up like this in real time, but usually with a faster spin. you're basically trying to get out in front of the circle.

it feels 'wrong' to me too. like if uchimata or harai or osoto are thrown from 12:00-6:00, this damn is like tilting it all that 45 degrees and throwing from 9:00-4:00

Yes. I have no idea why my Sensei tests us on that throw. It is awkward as hell and the only way that I can get it to work is if I have my arms in an Koshi-gurama headlock type position.

Trying to perform it with collar and sleeve just feels so unnatural to me.

"doing things awkwardly and inefficiently because that's how it's been done for decades" is what's known in Japan as "Kata"

It's sad but I always try for Harai and it ends up more O Guruma.

... which I can rarely succeed with.

This is why I can't have nice forward throws.

I don't know why I am having trouble with this.

I love Harai Goshi, yet O Gurama is one of my worst throws. Any tips for formal demostration?

The grip needs to be on the sleeve and collar, so I can't change that.

I will take RJ's advice and try to put that into place. Anything else?

Thinking "hip throw" helps me with harai. I like Hane Goshi too, seems like I hit it better.

ufc-175-rr-throwwatermarked.gif

168-7.gif

Thinking "hip throw" helps me with harai. I like Hane Goshi too, seems like I hit it better.

My best hip throws are O goshi, Tsuri Goshi, and Harai. I was alright with Hane, although it never felt quite as natural as Harai does.

Easiest way to upload a small video of my first tournament judo match? Would rather not youtube but will if I have to.

Back