Official JMMA Discussion Thread Vol. 3 ~VEE-TEE-JAY~

Status
Not open for further replies.
the outsider vs road show was pretty good it was the last one they streamed

Yeah, I have the videos for both ROAD vs OUTSIDER shows, 2nd one was a lot of fun since ROAD sent better fighters that time around.

Tokoro and Shu are heading a project for Mork, shirts and towels for sale. Money goes to Mork's wife and kids. Info here
C55YnD-UoAErM2L.jpg

Last edited:
I uploaded a couple of OUTSIDER events since there has been a decent amount of talk about them in a few threads lately. I might upload more later since I'm on a good connection for the week.

Ganryujima returns in May with Shrek Sekine, Nobutatsu Suzuki, and Yoshiyuki Yoshida

What happened with Japanese WMMA? 6 years ago there were a lot of japanese ladies in international ratings, but now i can remember only Hamasaki between top-fighters

What happened with Japanese WMMA? 6 years ago there were a lot of japanese ladies in international ratings, but now i can remember only Hamasaki between top-fighters
There were a few years where not much was going on. Legends like Shinashi, Hisae, and Miku had early retirements and few fighters were coming up to replace them. A big thing was money, most DEEP JEWELS fighters only make a couple hundred dollars a fight and fighting in Invicta isn't worth it monetarily unless you are a main event fighter. UFC never really showed interest in signing female Japanese fighters and seems to be giving up on Japan as a whole. This led to fewer crossovers from other combat sports.

Now with larger pocket promotions like RIZIN and nearby international promotions like ROAD, along with more regional promotions like Pancrase taking a larger interest, we are starting to see more crossover talent again. Mizuki, Rin, and Hamasaki have been ranked fighters for awhile now. Yukari Yamaguchi is supposed to be the next big thing but has missed the last year with injuries, she has a kickboxing bout coming up soon. Syuri is looking strong against international competition in Pancrase and is campaigning to get a UFC vet next. Kanako Murata has looked great considering she only started MMA training about a year and a half ago, just ran into a roadblock against the larger and much more experienced Rin. King Reina looks to be the first legit upper weight Japanese prospect in ages. RENA seems to be taking MMA seriously and has looked well rounded.

I think we will start to see another boom in JWMMA talent soon if things continue the way they are going.

I would say a combination of factors.

-a lot of the scene's Japanese "stars" retired.Miku, Tsuji, Shinashi, Watanabe, all retired around the same time. Shinashi and Watanabe have returned, but fighting infrequently and not against top competition.
-The death of Smackgirl. When Smackgirl folded, you had the fighters split between Valkyrie and Jewels, with a smattering in other promotions like Deep. Some say competitive organizations is good, but not when it's such a small niche that divides people's attention. Valkyrie didn't last long.
-The rise of the women's scene in the West, namely North America. When WMMA was on the fringe of the sport in the U.S, many American and other western fighters went to Japan to fight, because they knew fights were available there. Now, it's the opposite. WMMA is the hottest growing thing in the sport in North America. There are women in the UFC, and a women only promotion with Invicta. The focus has shifted, and there's less incentive to travel outside the States.
-Except for a sparse few, the Japanese fighters, both male and female, seem either content to stay on their islands, or just aren't as willing to leave their comfort zone.

Sarami vs Tomo Maesawa II announced for DEEP JEWELS 16 on May 20th

Sarami won their first meeting back in 2015 and has continually improved since then with the start of her training under Kitaoka. Maesawa picked up the biggest win of her career last time out by submitting former champ Emi Tomimatsu.

from what I have seen in the gym, Rena is taking things seriously

And rolling w King Reina I am very impressed and hope she can go far

Is Hamasaki fighting in Invicta this week?

from what I have seen in the gym, Rena is taking things seriously

And rolling w King Reina I am very impressed and hope she can go far

Is Hamasaki fighting in Invicta this week?
Next weekend, the 25th

A few fights added to Ganryujima's next event
Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs Kuntap (Weerasakreck I assume)
Katsunori Kikuno vs Jimmy Ambriz
Omigawa vs TBA
Shrek Sekine vs Baru Harn
Nobutatsu Suzuki vs Lelo Aurelio

Looking like a very fun event

Next weekend, the 25th

Omigawa vs TBA

sick lineup from ganryujima.

kikuno vs. ambriz... wowow.

Next weekend, the 25th

Omigawa vs TBA

Best Ganryujima yet. It seems like they are getting away from the traditional martial artists and going with people with MMA backgrounds.

I find it hilarious that Sekine is there after main eventing for the title against Brandon Vera in One Championship. It really says a lot about that organization.

Shrek when he fights MMA is like 260 lbs of bane juice....

And Ambriz is even bigger and fighting Kikuno?

Does Deep usually use a cage or do they go back and forth with the cage?

Anyways, Imanari
won by rolling leglock
last night at Deep 78 Impact. Does anybody know the other results?

Does Deep usually use a cage or do they go back and forth with the cage?

Anyways, Imanari
won by rolling leglock
last night at Deep 78 Impact. Does anybody know the other results?
They have always separated cage events as Cage Impact, normally uses a ring for other shows. I haven't really looked at the results but I know Naoki Inoue also won, 10-0 now. Hiroto Uesako also beat Guy Delumeau.

Kota Shimoishi beat Yuki Okano and Kimihiro Eto last night to become DEEP's rep in the ROAD FC $1 million tournament.

Full results for DEEP 78 Impact, just hover over the picture or click it and look at the address bars to get the Romanized names.

Are Deep shows available to view online (and any other JMMA for that matter)? Do they have a streaming service?

Shooto is streaming on AbemaTV right now, not sure why it isn't on Fight Pass
https://abema.tv/now-on-air/fighting-sports

Big prospect fight between Hayato Ishii and Takumi Tamaru, former King of Pancrase Kiyotaka Shimizu, and a Pacific Rim title fight between Shoko Sato and Keita Ishibashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back