**Official Japanese Boxing thread**

Fisticuffa

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Good write up on the fight tomorrow:

Ioka-Yaegashi: Strawweight Goes Big - Report Card - Boxing News

This is supposed to be the first time 2 Japanese fighters are fighting in a unification bout. So big fight in Japan.

Yaegashi had a FOTY candidate last year when he won the WBA Minimumweight title:

Ioka's fight from when he became WBC Straweight/Minimumweight titlist:

Last edited:
Chemito- 116
Yamanaka- 117

Change the thread title, and make it the official Japanese Boxing thread.

Is Takamura, Ippo, or Mashiba fighting soon? :icon_chee

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Japanese primetime fights usually start around 6 or 7 in the morning eastern time.

'Splain yourself.

Mashiba:

(The one using the flicker)

I'm sorry, I am very much a boxing newb and the only real exposure I ever had to boxing was old tapes of guys from the 30s and 40s and the Hajime no Ippo anime/manga out of Japan.

Yamanaka wins an SD.

Japanese BW title 10 rounds-

Ryosuke Iwasa (11-1, 8 KO's)

vs

Kentaro Masuda (14-5, 8 KO's)

July 7th.

heard there was a lot of controversy, but all of the sources seemed kinda biased. any truth to that?

Non Ippo knowers should be shot. All of them.

I want Naoya Inoue back damnit! Any news on his injury?

I seriously rate Ioka. The guy had a good but not exceptional amateur career and still has less than 10 fights on his pro-record but he's looked spectacular. Anyone who takes out a 35-0-1 longtime champion in only his seventh fight deserves respect. In some ways unfortunately he's also become a huge draw in Japan and because of that limited in how often he gets in the ring.

Yaegashi is a good fighter and can certainly put on exciting fights but I think Ioka beats him relatively comfortably (as long as he's able to stay disciplined enough to avoid a mad brawl).

Miura-Vargas lands on Canelo-Cotto undercard.
Your FOTY for 2015.

Article Link - Ioka and Yaegashi Make Weight, Prepare For a War

By Hisao Adachi

The weights are in for tomorrow's history making event in Japan. The first ever title unification in Japan, with the WBC and WBA strawweight champions facing off at the Bodymaker Colosseum (Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium former) in the city of Osaka. Undefeated WBC world champion Kazuto Ioka (9-0, 6KOs, 23 years old and Ioka Boxing Gym Osaka) will collide with the world champion of the WBA, Akira Yaegashi (15-2/8KOs of 29 years age and Ohashi Boxing Gym in the city of Yokohama).

This duel has captured the attention of the Japanese public, since it is the first time in boxing history that two Japanese fighters, who are champions under different sanctioning organizations, are going to have a unification fight in the same weight division.

Ioka and Yaegashi easily made weight. The WBC champion came in at 47.6 kilograms [104.9-pounds], just under the weight limit. And the king of the WBA came in at 47.5 kilograms [104.7-pounds]. More than 250 fans were present at the weigh-in.

Both boxers were examined by a doctor and no problems were detected for either fighter.

The referee of this fight will be the Japan's Yuji Fukuchi. The three judges will be Japan's Toshio Sugiyama, America's Carlos Sucre, and Thailand's Anek Hongtongkam.

Both fighters will wear Winning gloves, a popular Japanese brand.

The fight will be fought under the open scoring system of WBC. The WBA's regulations are also in affect, in particular if a boxer is dropped three times in the same round the fight will end with an automatic TKO. One judge is from the WBC, while the other two judges are from the WBA.

Mr. Ken Morita, the general secretary of the Japanese Boxing Commission, confesses that the winner of this unification bout will be forced to abandon one of the two titles within ten days after the bout, under the terms of a pre-fight agreement.

Full fight.

I had it 116-112 Moreno.
Very exciting, technical fight. FOTY contender.
Yamanaka's glove touch the canvas, ref missed it.

Where is a place one could watch this? Would it be on PPV or is it something that I have to, well, find through nefarious means?

_r3sze.gif

2XpPGY.gif

28nBMh.gif

Javier Mendoza defends his IBF JFlyW title against Akira Yaegashi on 12/29.

Kazuto Ioka defends his WBA FlyW title against Juan Carlos Reveco on NYE.

Takashi Uchiyama defends his WBA JLW title against TBA on NYE.

Textbook Boxer vs Fighter :) Ioka gonna learn a lot from this fight.

all three judges get them 38-38, fucking entertaining

Back