Official Boxing Book Review Thread

mschatz

Hamma: I has it
Reaction score
Feel free to add to the list, post your comments if you've read the same book, or suggest titles.

bodyandsoul.jpg

"Body & Soul - Notebooks of an apprentice boxer" by Lo

Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing by Donald McRae

51-htNvcsEL_SS500_.jpg

This is a collection of pieces focussing mainly on James Toney, Roy Jones, Tyson (and others) when they were in their primes in the nineties. Basically, McRae is a journalist who followed various fighters around to glean long interviews from them regarding their lives and perspectives on the fight game. Special attention is paid in particular to Toney, with whom Macrae develops a long friendship during the course of researching and travelling with the fighter for his fights with Thornton, Jones, Griffin, etc. I found it an interesting read when I read it several years ago, but the one drawback I would point out is it's "middlebrowness"; that is, McRae brings a kind of middlebrow, middleclass perspective that I've found often infects the work of nonfighters who write about boxing, like Joyce Carol Oates. (He has a tendency, like Oates, to attempt to wax profound and lyrical about the savage beauty of boxing, especially about how boxing is a "metaphor" for the struggle of man at his most primal, and other pretentious exaggerations. These writers typically do not know much about the technicalities of boxing or the daily regimen of training and things like that, but view boxing from a distance, as a middle-class spectator would.)

Nevertheless, McRae was close enough to the principal personalities in the book to give us some interesting information about the habits of fighters and their idiosyncratic behaviours. (There is an amusing and somewhat touching scene where the author and a resurgent Toney discuss his humiliating loss to Jones while watching promotional videos and other buildup material for the fight. At one point, Toney nods approvingly at footage of himself announcing that he would kick Jones's ass and make him his bitch, etc.)

For those interested, there are also some chapters devoted to Naseem Hamed, de la Hoya, Rafael Ruelas, and Holyfield, though the author didn't manage to get as close to them as he did to Toney.

Another book by the same author (which I haven't read) is

Heroes without a Country
510MNQV3E8L_BO2204203200_PIsitb-dp-.jpg

about Jesse Owens and Joe Louis.

These all sound interesting, especially "Dark Trade." I'll probably pick one of these up when I get the time.

The only boxing "book" I've gotten to lately is Sugar's "Boxing's Greatest Fighters."

It's mostly what you'd expect from Sugar, but there's a lot of good information about fighters from the late 19th, early 20th centuries. Some of these guys I probably never would have heard of if I hadn't read this.

get all of adam pollacks' books, on john l. sullivan, jim corbett and bob fitzsimmons. you cannot make arguments about these fighters without having the facts which he has compiled in his books.

211u92oj72L._AA180_.jpg

I just read this one. It's a pretty good book. He discusses his fights and some of his training. He also goes into detail on his fallout with his first promoter Frank Warren. I enjoyed it, be warned it's a very loose style as it sounds like he is talking to you, I think it works in this case.

shadowboxers.jpg

"Shadow Boxers: Sweat, Sacrifice, and the will to survive in American boxing gyms"
Photo's and foreword by Jim Lommason

Great coffee table collector's piece, with an incredible collection of photographs and essays written about the great boxing gyms in America. Its a tribute to the journeyman, the professional sparring partner, and and the gyms themselves in some of the worst neighborhoods in the country. Great essay by Joe Frazier in the beginning. I highly recommend this book to anyone in love with boxing.

i havent been on sherdog much lately and this is the first time i saw this thread. I bookmarked it so I can pick a couple up for when this semester is over.

so thanks for the reviews and info :)

I'm working on Hands of Stone right now, a review soon to come.

Atlas From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man.

I would post a pic but I don't know how to.

This book blew me away. Its one of the best book I've ever read.

He talks about growing up. His father. Going to jail. How he got that scar on his face. Why he never turned pro.
How Cus changes his life and why he grew to love Cus but also how things ended with Cus.
And yes...he talks Tyson. His description of Tyson allows you to understand Tyson's reasons for being who he is.

Then...he gets into Donny Lalonde, Chris Hart, which is one of the gut wrenching chapters.
Shannon Briggs section in there. Very Funny. My respect for Shannon is through the roof. He's a stand up guy.

But my favorite part of the book was his dealings with Michael Moorer. We all have a little Michael Moorer in us and when you read the book you'll see what I mean.

The book is based on the premise of being honest with yourself and understanding the why your decisions effect the outcome of everything in life. This isn't just about the ring.

The book has helped me understand Teddy, trainers, boxing, and believe it or not...myself.

READ THIS BOOK AND THANK ME LATER.

Ive read the Teddy Atlas book, and its a great one. Thats actually the next book I was going to do a review for.

Atlas From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man.

I would post a pic but I don't know how to.

This book blew me away. Its one of the best book I've ever read.

He talks about growing up. His father. Going to jail. How he got that scar on his face. Why he never turned pro.
How Cus changes his life and why he grew to love Cus but also how things ended with Cus.
And yes...he talks Tyson. His description of Tyson allows you to understand Tyson's reasons for being who he is.

Then...he gets into Donny Lalonde, Chris Hart, which is one of the gut wrenching chapters.
Shannon Briggs section in there. Very Funny. My respect for Shannon is through the roof. He's a stand up guy.

But my favorite part of the book was his dealings with Michael Moorer. We all have a little Michael Moorer in us and when you read the book you'll see what I mean.

The book is based on the premise of being honest with yourself and understanding the why your decisions effect the outcome of everything in life. This isn't just about the ring.

The book has helped me understand Teddy, trainers, boxing, and believe it or not...myself.

READ THIS BOOK AND THANK ME LATER.

I just bought this on ebay 6 dollars i am going to enjoy. I also bought today the angelo dundee book.

hear the dundee book is good as well

Authored by Bert Sugar?

Ghosts of Manila and and Muhammad Ali - His Life and Times are two great books.

thegloves.jpg

"The Gloves," by Robert Anasi

Anasi has had a fascination with boxing for most of his life, and even trained intermittently through his 20's. Almost on a whim, he decides to compete in New York's Golden Gloves. The book's a chronicle of his 2 years in training along with some top amateurs and pro's from the city. Gritty and very well-written, captures the "feel" of a boxing gym and the monotony and discipline that goes along with it. Some great characters in the book, especially his trainer. Great book. One of my favorites.

From Publishers Weekly
A world away from the pay-per-view bonanzas where hype and egos reign are the musky neighborhood gyms and foulmouthed trainers who nurtured those big-time boxers. In this lyrical look at the world of amateur boxing, freelance writer Anasi chronicles how jabbing and jump-roping at a grubby gym in San Francisco's Tenderloin district developed into a life-altering quest to compete, in his early 30s, in New York's storied amateur boxing tournament, the Golden Gloves. It's not an easy journey: his trainer, for example, a blunt, boisterous Puerto Rican named Milton, throws him into sparring sessions he's bound to lose while peppering him with insults from ringside. Of course, Anasi notes, that's not how trainers see it. "Instead they mention `good rounds,' `going easy,' `working with someone,' " he writes. "As in the romance around sex, the stereotyped, delicate language serves to cloak a more brutal reality." Anasi cloaks nothing, and his forthright style serves to highlight not only boxing's brutal reality, but also its beauty and allure. He tells fascinating stories of the other characters he meets and illustrates their lives in and out of the ring. This attention extends to the irrepressible Milton, whose unorthodox style Anasi comes to respect, even as he recognizes his trainer's faults and limitations. Absorbing and honest, with prose an effortless mix of facts, poetic descriptions and personal vignettes, this book will appeal even to those with no prior knowledge of the ring. What John Feinstein has done for higher-profile sports, Anasi has done for amateur boxing.

jackdempsey.jpg

"Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20's"

Biography of Jack Dempsey and his impact or significance during America's boom period. Author makes the point that Dempsey washe ultimate symbol of the times. Excellent read, very informative, and reads like a novel. In depth coverage of his fights with Willard, Carpentier, and Gene Tunney, as well as his various marriages and legal problems with his hustler/manager's, Kearns and Rickard.

Just read On Boxing by Joyce Carol Oates, by far the best boxing book i have read so far. Anyone else read it?, Phil Berger's Punch Lines is also fantastic and contains articles on lesser known champions and contenders.

I read Oates' original 'On Boxing' some years back, and to be kind, I can't say that I enjoyed it much.

Back